[#2]
Why shouldn't it be?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?
View Quote
Member of the Communist Party and actively worked against our forces in IndoChina to have an NVA/VC victory(aka treason).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
How many illegitimate kids did he have?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Member of the Communist Party and actively worked against our forces in IndoChina to have an NVA/VC victory(aka treason).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

Did he really spend time in Vietnam?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?
View Quote

Why should it be?

The man who actually freed the slaves in the U. S. doesn't get his own federal holiday.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Why do we even have federal holidays?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why shouldn't it be?

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/mlking.asp

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?
View Quote

Because there's no reason for it to exist as a holiday.  It he didn't get shot it would have never been proposed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because there's no reason for it to exist as a holiday.  It he didn't get shot it would have never been proposed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

Not give the face and voice of the Civil Rights Movement a holiday?  He being shot had nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure....He was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
No.  Very few private businesses close.  It is just another day that the federal (and some state) government employees get to have off.  So the real question is whether the lazy, overpaid bureaucrats should have yet another day off.  I vote fuck no.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?
View Quote

Why should it be?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No.  Very few private businesses close.  It is just another day that the federal (and some state) government employees get to have off.  So the real question is whether the lazy, overpaid bureaucrats should have yet another day off.  I vote fuck no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get back to your fucking office so you can not to do work there you lazy, overpaid bureaucrat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No.  Very few private businesses close.  It is just another day that the federal (and some state) government employees get to have off.  So the real question is whether the lazy, overpaid bureaucrats should have yet another day off.
View Quote
I work for a private company and for some reason we get today off and don't agree with it.  I'm a big fan of floating holidays and the freedom to choose what days I take off.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why should it be?

The man who actually freed the slaves in the U. S. doesn't get his own federal holiday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

Why should it be?

Do you reeeeeally think Lincoln cared about blacks? Granted, in his desperation to retain tyranny, slavery was abolished, but he didn't care about negroes.

I do get your point, though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I work for a private company and for some reason we get today off and don't agree with it.  I'm a big fan of floating holidays and the freedom to choose what days I take off.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  Very few private businesses close.  It is just another day that the federal (and some state) government employees get to have off.  So the real question is whether the lazy, overpaid bureaucrats should have yet another day off.

Aside from some banks, I don't know of any private businesses around here who take today off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#21]
No.  Labour Day should also be eliminated.  The Constitution's anniversary should be made a holiday instead, and Columbus Day should be restored to a more prestigious position than that to which it has been demoted.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Aside from some banks, I don't know of any private businesses around here who take today off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Those and the ones that are intimately tied to the government tit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have ~70,000 employees worldwide.  Not sure how many are in the US but a good chunk of them are.  ETA: Not a bank or attached to the gov tit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Absolutely not, especially after watching that video about communism and a black nation within a nation..
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes. I love the holiday pay!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
fuck no!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No.  Labour Day should also be eliminated.  The Constitution's anniversary should be made a holiday instead, and Columbus Day should be restored to a more prestigious position than that to which it has been demoted.
View Quote

And what did Columbus do, exactly? Didn't discover anything and didn't settle much either. He's the story we tell kids in school. That's it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]

I think New Hampshire was the last hold-out.  It's not a hospital/clinic holiday so I am working today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

Just stop...

MLK was a great conservative.  The man was great civil rights leader who relied on conservative values to get his message across.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why should it be?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

Why should it be?

Sherman?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Do you reeeeeally think Lincoln cared about blacks? Granted, in his desperation to retain tyranny, slavery was abolished, but he didn't care about negroes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

Why should it be?

What difference does Lincoln's level of empathy for blacks make?  He freed the slaves.  Apparently, that was not as important as making a very good speech on the National Mall.  Based on that criteria, I expect that within the next five years we'll see a bill introduced in Congress for a national Obama holiday.

For a lot of people in this country, today is a black holiday, not a U. S. holiday, and there's the core of the problem
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And what did Columbus do, exactly? Didn't discover anything and didn't settle much either. He's the story we tell kids in school. That's it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is responsible for all the World's evils and also bringing indoor plumbing to North America.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why should it be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

Why should it be?

I voted yes and apparently i am in the 22% minority.
He was a good man and a Great speaker.  He died for his beliefs of something higher/better. He impacted millions of people.
His dream has been co-opted and perverted beyond any vision the man, himself, had but it is still a good dream.

You guys do know he was a Republican, right?  Both him and his father.  (ETA: well, beardog30 and some others  do) Fucking Bobby Kennedy threatened to jail them both so they changed over to Dem.  I probably would too to stay out of jail and keep spreading the word.
Labor day?, fuck it, get rid of that one if you want to get rid of anything.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the symbolism behind his arrival in the New World that matters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#35]
NO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not give the face and voice of the Civil Rights Movement a holiday?  He being shot had nothing to do with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why shouldn't it be?

He was made a martyr.  It elevated his praise to worship.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#37]
So we can buy shit at regular prices after they marked it up 30%.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, at least MLK was a American.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Gd hates everyone in the civil rights movement.
View Quote

We hate Robert Byrd who opposed it as well.  

Edited:  Meant Robert.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#41]
What do you have against skiing?

ML Day was made a holiday at the request of Big Ski to create another day off besides President's Day during ski season.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they'll find a way to call everyone a communist.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking commie sympathizer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What difference does Lincoln's level of empathy for blacks make?  He freed the slaves.  
View Quote

Well... except he didn't....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What difference does Lincoln's level of empathy for blacks make?  He freed the slaves.  

Please, tell us the "real" story.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with honouring a non-American whose actions had important consequences for what would eventually become our country, although IIRC he's been made an honourary American.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Why should it be?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why shouldn't it be?

Why should it be?

Dont care , one way or the other.

Bigger fish to fry in this country.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He died before the slaves were freed.  The Federal government did not interfere with slavery in the border States and the war against the southern States had not quite ended yet when he died.  Slavery was abolished via the 13th Amendment subsequent to his death.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top