Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 1:01:27 PM EDT
A little history... I have:

- Flooded a house I was renting because a line broke behind the wall as I was turning the toilet feed valve back on after replacing the tank valve.  (I couldn't find the main valve at the street.)

- Flooded the ceiling of a house I was renting because a hot water line broke after I threw a piece of plywood up in the attic.

- Shattered a toilet in a house I was renting because one of the tank screws was rusted, and instead of going to the store and buying a grinder, I took a hammer and cold chisel to the nut.

- Flooded a house I owned because I thought it was normal for the drip pan in the air handler in the closet to have water in it - before I went on vacation.

The softener in my new (1992) home broke, causing the inlet pipe from the well pump to break.  I got that fixed, but I need to buy a new softener.

Should I install it myself?  What say you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
with your track recored i would pay some one to install it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I really do not see what could go wrong research a little and use proper tools. Hour or two tops.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll NEVER learn if you don't TRY
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I will be installing one too this coming weekend. Don't forget beer. A good DIY project includes alcohol consumption.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not that hard to install if you already have a softener, and especially if you can find the same brand softener or the input manifold is the same. Find the main shut off valve and/or there should be a shut off valve near the old softener. Input to input, output to output, then pressure check everything that you touched. Then keep an eye on it for a week or two. I would make sure that it is not easy to hit or knock over.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Try to get one that has sharkbite water connections. Oversize the discharge drain line and keep it short as possible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will be installing one too this coming weekend. Don't forget beer. A good DIY project includes alcohol consumption.
View Quote

AMEN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top