Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:41:07 AM EDT
Dear Arfcom, I never thought it would happen to me.
In Honolulu  for work and met my first SEAL. At a crappy bar in Waikiki with coworkers wanting to celebrate the Seahawks win (we're all from WA). Random guy starts talking shit about my coworkers Seahawks  jerseys. He's a NE Patriots fan who keep repeating he's from Boston / went to Boston University , but lives here now. Offers to buy us all a drink. At some point my boss asks him what he does for work and the guy says you wouldnt believe me. I made a joke about drug kingpin and he starts laughing real loud. I asked what he really did and says he used to be a Navy SEAL and works as a defense contractor now. Someone else seemed skeptical and he pulls out his wallet and showed some kind of ID card. I havent seen a .mil ID in quite a while,  his card was vertically oriented but I wasnt able to get a better look to see what it was.  Guy then says he made $200k last year so I asked what company he worked for the last time he was deployed, he replies he returned from his last Navy deployment 6 months ago and started contracting. No security firm given.  I ignored him after that and  he drifted away from our table after some more bullshit about money.

CSB Im sure but I thought Id share.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
CSB
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
But the beer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I like bourbon
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
CA Cards are vertical...if he is a contractor...it would be GREEN all over it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]
He was Cylon the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He was Cylon the whole time.
View Quote

Entirely plausible
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#7]
SEAL gonna SEAL - all the time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
How come no one was ever a cook in the military?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dear Arfcom, I never thought it would happen to me.
In Honolulu  for work and met my first SEAL. At a crappy bar in Waikiki with coworkers wanting to celebrate the Seahawks win (we're all from WA). Random guy starts talking shit about my coworkers Seahawks  jerseys. He's a NE Patriots fan who keep repeating he's from Boston / went to Boston University , but lives here now. Offers to buy us all a drink. At some point my boss asks him what he does for work and the guy says you wouldnt believe me. I made a joke about drug kingpin and he starts laughing real loud. I asked what he really did and says he used to be a Navy SEAL and works as a defense contractor now. Someone else seemed skeptical and he pulls out his wallet and showed some kind of ID card. I havent seen a .mil ID in quite a while,  his card was vertically oriented but I wasnt able to get a better look to see what it was.  Guy then says he made $200k last year so I asked what company he worked for the last time he was deployed, he replies he returned from his last Navy deployment 6 months ago and started contracting. No security firm given.  I ignored him after that and  he drifted away from our table after some more bullshit about money.

CSB Im sure but I thought Id share.

View Quote

Giovanni's?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just like Chief Rybeck
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you meet someone who says they were "a cook" in the military,  be careful.  

...they're probably the real operators.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#12]
A SEAL, a crossfitter, a vegan, and a guy that's allergic to gluten walk into a bar...

I only know because they all told me within the first three minutes.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A SEAL, a crossfitter, a vegan, and a guy that's allergic to gluten walk into a bar...

View Quote

A supply troop steps up to the door of bar .... a HSLD no shit steely eyed I was almost a SF troop steps in.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've only hear men claim to be SEALs.  But, I've never heard a man claim to be a crossfire, a vegan, nor allergic to gluten.  Them are women's issues.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
If I was a retired SEAL doing contract work I would probably live in Hawaii. Maybe try and get in the PI game
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My uncle was a cook in the Coast Guard.  He made the full career out of it,  did 25 years and retired.  
He did something else his first couple of years in,  but that's what he was proud to tell people that he did.  He's pretty good at it too.  

He now works part time as a park ranger.  He seems to be pretty happy with how life is going for him.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#17]
They're everywhere...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Did he have a mustache and drive a Ferrari?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]
So you talked a guy into whipping out his CAC?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Was he able to drink on his CAC?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#22]
How can you tell who the former SEAL on your team (or bar or office or...) is? He tells you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I left and went back to the hotel, my coworkers stayed. I was told this morning that Mr. "Im more operational than you" ( actual quote, reminded me of the DEA agent who shot himself) continued talking shit to other patrons and eventually some guy gave him a shove and offered to take  it to the parking lot to finish the conversation . The "SEAL" attempted deesecalation by saying it was all good/just kidding player etc.  but security threw them both out. My coworkers didn't go out to see how fast he ran the quarter mile.

It wasnt Giovannis, couldnt recall the name but that wasnt it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I left and went back to the hotel, my coworkers stayed. I was told this morning that Mr. "Im more operational than you" ( actual quote, reminded me of the DEA agent who shot himself) continued talking shit to other patrons and eventually some guy gave him a shove and offered to take  it to the parking lot to finish the conversation . The "SEAL" attempted deesecalation by saying it was all good/just kidding player etc.  but security threw them both out. My coworkers didn't go out to see how fast he ran the quarter mile.

It wasnt Giovannis, couldnt recall the name but that wasnt it.
View Quote
Hell, he might have actually been a real SEAL. If you see a book come out in a few years mentioning your buddy getting his ass kicked in a bar fight you will know for sure.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just like Chief Rybeck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like Chief Rybeck

and his actor counterpart who lied about being CIA? that one?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Was it Focus8?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've only hear men claim to be SEALs.  But, I've never heard a man claim to be a crossfire, a vegan, nor allergic to gluten.  Them are women's issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did but he was wearing a pair of tight pants, really weird almost elf shoes / slippers, and had a perfectly manicured beard. he told me it completely unsolicited along with the paleo diet. I told him the "how do you know if somebody is a crossfitter" joke. He didnt laugh.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#28]
This all sounds perfectly plausible to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you spit or swallow?

Im betting swallow cuz it sounds like you're in love.

Executive Summary: OP got a free beer from a guy that used to be in the navy. Misty eyed hero worship ensued.

seal threads are like poop threads to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top