Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:27:02 PM EDT
I could get small pills inside a hot dog piece to give him...but his liver pill is a chewable, and is huge.  Put it in a hot dog piece, and he took it for a few days.  Now he won't even eat a hot dog.  The old hold his muzzle shut thing didn't work either.  I've got tons of mortar and pestles, so crushing is easy enough...but what do I put it in so he'll eat it all?  The meds are expensive, so I don't want to waste them.

Any help is appreciated.

Just to add, it needs to be low fat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Peanut butter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Hamburger meat
Or wet dogfood
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I could get small pills inside a hot dog piece to give him...but his liver pill is a chewable, and is huge.  Put it in a hot dog piece, and he took it for a few days.  Now he won't even eat a hot dog.  The old hold his muzzle shut thing didn't work either.  I've got tons of mortar and pestles, so crushing is easy enough...but what do I put it in so he'll eat it all?  The meds are expensive, so I don't want to waste them.

Any help is appreciated.

View Quote

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
We've had great luck with these.  

Pill Pockets
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're crushing it, why not just add it to his regular food?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Peanut butter.
View Quote

That's not what he is asking.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Peanut butter.
View Quote

Tried that, he won't eat it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Wrap some cheese around it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Open mouth.
Push pill past back of tongue.

Close mouth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Our yorkie always pulls the pills out if the food.  So she just gets it shoved down here throat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Any help is appreciated.

View Quote

If the liver pill won't fit in a pill gun, open the dog's mouth and shove the pill as far back as you can and hold it's muzzle shut until it swallows. After a couple of tries, you'll get good at it. I have to do this every night with one of my dogs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If it won't go in the front, try the back.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
What size dog?  We have a 10 pounder and I pry its mouth open, shove it down it's throat and then hold its mouth closed so it swallows it.  Otherwise, American Cheese works pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you're crushing it, why not just add it to his regular food?
View Quote

I don't want to crush them, but I'm willing to do so.  I don't put it in his food because he free feeds, has since a puppy and he's 16 now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
For me, I use either sliced turkey, or laughing cow soft cheese.  I give a few gobs or slices to get them excited and in the "gulp" mode, then I sneak in the pill hidden in the goodie.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
My vet read me the riot act for using hot dogs to administer meds. He said they are as bad as ham for dogs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Shove it in a piece hotdog
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Open mouth.

Push pill past back of tongue.
View Quote

Close mouth.

With our current Neo this is the only way to do it. He'll not eat his food if you grind it up and put it in there. He'll eat everything but the pill if you put it in food. His cheeks are so loose that he is pretty good at faking it and can spit it out 1-2 hours later on the floor. Stuffing it down his throat is the only way to make sure it's down there.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My vet read me the riot act for using hot dogs to administer meds. He said they are as bad as ham for dogs.
View Quote

I'm using low fat turkey dogs...he can't have much fat anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Ours get savvy to the Hot dog trick real quick.

That is why I invented "Peanut butter Muttly cookies".

Take two small bone shaped dog treats(the ones that take 2-3 bites) smear one with PB, put the pill in there, place the other on top.
Instant doggie sandwich cookie. Peanut butter covers the flavor of anything.

It helps to get them going on treats smeared with PB, and then add the meds after 2-3.

Good luck!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
You could also try pill pockets. But if he's refusing hot dog, he may refuse pill pockets as well.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Sliced American Cheese formed around the pill.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to wrap it up in a slice of lunch meat
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Two treats. Get him really excited for it. First one has the pill, the second comes right after the first so they gulp quick to get ready for the second treat.

If the pill is really big, cut it in two. Wrap in a small piece of Kraft Singles american cheese slices.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
mix it in his food. Mine will take anything wrapped in cheese. they dont even chew that shit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Open mouth.Push pill past back of tongue.
Close mouth.
View Quote

Works every fucking time it's been tried. I have given numerous 100+ pound dogs pills this way my entire life. Never an issue.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Butter, peanut butter, or bacon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is ham and hotdogs bad for dogs?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Open mouth.Push pill past back of tongue.
Close mouth.
View Quote

That's how I do it. Use your thumb to get it past the tongue and into the throat.

Yea, its super messy with dog saliva so rinse your hands before getting a dip.

Just have to man up and do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I use cream cheese,the whipped kind

Just take a scoop and push the pill in the center of it,works every time
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Coat the pill with butter, or margarine since you need low fat.
Shove it to the back of his throat and hold his muzzle closed with snout elevated.
Just like many things in life, slippery is better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#33]
You're not gonna like the answer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe anything that is really fatty can have a terrible impact on their pancreas. The high salt in ham is probably no good for them either.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I have multiple dogs. You could toss one of them the fucking channel changer and they would scarf it down just so the other dogs cant.
good luck OP
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If the liver pill won't fit in a pill gun, open the dog's mouth and shove the pill as far back as you can and hold it's muzzle shut until it swallows. After a couple of tries, you'll get good at it. I have to do this every night with one of my dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any help is appreciated.

This

To accomplish this get someone to hold the dog. Take your index finger and thumb of left hand, and place them on the outside of the dog's muzzle. Feel for the joints of the jaw and then press gently on each side, with your index finger and thumb, till the dogs mouth opens. Hold them this way as you use your other hand to put the pill in the dog’s mouth. Use your index finger of the free hand to push the pill as far into the back of the dog’s mouth as possible while still holding the mouth open. Remove your index finger quickly and release the pressure from your fingers on the jaw joints.

Immediately use the hand that was holding the dog’s mouth open to clamp the muzzle shut. Hold the muzzle shut till it appears they have swallowed the pill (you can usually feel when they swallow). Make sure to watch the dog for a moment after releasing the muzzle to make sure they have not stored it in the mouth, or hack it back up. Some dogs are very good at bringing the pill back up.

This is the way you force the dog to take the pill without losing a finger.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Hold his bottom jaw open with one hand, then push the pill down his throat past his tongue with a finger from your other hand.  Quickly remove you finger and hold the muzzle shut until you see him swallow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vet said the salt is very bad for dogs. Ham and hot dogs have loads of salt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salt.

Sodium Ion poisoning, actually.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

You could also try pill pockets. But if he's refusing hot dog, he may refuse pill pockets as well.

http://www.greenies.com/sf-images/default-source/default-album/products/canine-pill-pockets-large.png?sfvrsn=6
View Quote
^ Use those on my pups.

Pic of Steve OP, been awhile.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Know what happens if you do the ole push the pill to the back of the throat and make her swallow it trick.  My dog will turn right around and puke it up.  She don't go for that.  I don't blame her really.  If someone made me swallow something I didn't want to I would puke it up to.    Dogs be smart.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have multiple dogs. You could toss one of them the fucking channel changer and they would scarf it down just so the other dogs cant.
good luck OP
View Quote

You must have Rottwiellers.

I say cheese as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Hotdawg
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Peanut butter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Hold the pill between your index finger and thumb.  Using you middle finger push the dog's mouth open from the side.  Push the pill in as the dog's mouth opens all the way back of the throat.  Then quickly pull your fingers out and clamp the dog's mouth closed.  Been doing it this way for years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Peanut butter.
View Quote

This works when I need to give meds to either of our two hounds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I just give it to her like any old treat. Say "ok" and she snaps it up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#48]
My smallest dog will root a pill right out  of peanut butter. I basically have to shove it down his mouth which is about like trying to get a marble out of a running sink disposall.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Playing catch with treats.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For me, I use either sliced turkey, or laughing cow soft cheese.  I give a few gobs or slices to get them excited and in the "gulp" mode, then I sneak in the pill hidden in the goodie.  
View Quote

A chunk of Cheddar also works pretty well.

Use a drinking straw to cut a plug out of the center, and then insert the pill into the resulting hole.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top