Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 9:29:25 PM EDT
Recent kerosene heater thread has me interested in them and reading.

Plenty of folks are saying that they run ULSD in them with some additive to help the wick stay clean and some rubbing alcohol to help with tank condensation issues. Apparently the igniter won't work with diesel and they have to be flame-lit. Haven't found any credible explanation of why this is good or bad. My instinct says that diesel is burned in furnaces all over, but THOSE ARE VENTED.

Looking for info, opinions, and links to informative sources. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the answer/discussion...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The milesstair site has been very helpful in general. It says:

When reading the above descriptions of the stoves and lanterns, you will note that I have made reference to the "multi-fuel" capabilities of the Butterfly #2412, the "Golden Night," etc. "Multi-fuel" means kerosene, diesel, #1 stove oil, and other assorted fuel oils, including alcohol, and in extreme emergencies, gasoline. Gasoline is a highly volatile fuel, however, so I DO NOT recommend its use. Due to the inherent burning qualities of the fuels themselves, only kerosene should be used when the stoves or lantern are used indoors, as the other fuels produce excessive quantities of carbon monoxide. If used outdoors, or even in garage with the door open, ANY place with adequate ventilation, the other fuels may be burned without danger.

You may encounter the phrase "dual fuel" in conjunction with some Coleman stoves and lanterns. That refers to unleaded gasoline and white gas, also called "Coleman Fuel."

Gasoline in all its forms produces explosive vapors and can explode. Kerosene (and other fuels) used in "multi-fuel" stoves is NOT explosive, does NOT produce explosive fumes, and IS stable in storage.
View Quote

This link says K1 is 0.04% sulfur and K2 is 0.3%. This link says the old diesel was 500ppm (0.05%) sulfur and ULSD is 15ppm (0.0015%). So, even the old diesel should have been fine on the sulfur content.

Increased carbon monoxide output is plausible, because the purpose-built diesel burning furnaces need to be vented.

Hoping someone has a more analytical answer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used it in torpedo heaters works fine just stinks more. What ever you use be sure to ventilate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh, I use it in my 50x80 shops heater no problems with the door closed. But 25ft ceiling and massive gaps in the doors probably help with ventilation.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I have only done that in shop heaters, and my experience is that diesel always stinks more then kero.

I would imagine the same holds true if you use it in a wick heater.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It will work.

It won't be the best and will burn a bit dirtier, but its significantly cheaper and more available.

Off road diesel can be had for under $2 a gallon. K1 dyed is over $3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top