Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 9:04:26 PM EDT
My daughter says it's dangerous/carcinogenic/hazardous/phosgene/etc and we should throw it all away. Heck, it's all we've used for 20 years. Google fu turns up conflicting info. Is there anything to this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't want my eggs sticking to bottom of pan.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Cast iron FTW
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Use cast iron, and learn how to cook with it.

It's non stick and non carcinogenic.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
everything is carcinogenic. life stinks then you die.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
We're all going to die one day. Do you want to live forever?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, after this year, manufactors can't use Teflon anymore. It'll be illegal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Supposedly smoke from scorched teflon is very deadly to birds.

But I'm not a bird.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Stainless steel cookware FTW.  Throw in some cast iron for the eggs and you're set.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Cast Iron or DeBuyer, and be done with the anti-stick bullshit.

Teflon CAN be toxic, if it gets above 500 degrees, and the shit is not good for you if gouged/scratched and it gets into the chow.
It's 99% hysterical organic faggot bullshit though. Just don't use Teflon coated stuff in the Oven or for searing steaks, and pitch the crap when it gets a gouge.
NOBODY has croaked from Teflon, or the other non stick coatings. Nobody. Just like nobody has grown a third eyeball from GMO's and conventional Ag...science it works.

Biggest drawback to the non stick garbage is long term cost, and shitty uneven cooking.
Teflon and the ceramic shit lasts a couple years and needs to be trashed. Aluminum is unsuitable for cooking anything, and makes simple stuff a PITA.

Cast Iron and Mineral steel with daily use, will outlive your Grand kids, is Oven safe, and is many times easier to cook with.
Properly seasoned, they are also faster and easier to clean up.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cast iron FTW
View Quote

This, and it's pretty stick free.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Teflon, but Teflon is shit.  I use ceramic nonstick cookware and it is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

FTW! Cast iron rules. Just had burgers and home fried potatoes cooked in cast iron !!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Learning how to cook usually cures that.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My daughter says it's dangerous/carcinogenic/hazardous/phosgene/etc and we should throw it all away. Heck, it's all we've used for 20 years. Google fu turns up conflicting info. Is there anything to this?
View Quote

I don't want to call your daughter an idiot but ignorant and mis-guided might be better terms.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cast iron FTW
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]
There is nothing wrong with non-stick cookware if it's used properly.
Hell, even Alton Brown advocates its use in certain applications - if used properly.

Personally, I have both non-stick, cast iron, and stainless cookware - they are all used for the occasions that they are required.

I she would do some research she would find that in our modern time there are some very safe non-stick cookware available.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Teflon, but Teflon is shit.  I use ceramic nonstick cookware and it is outstanding.
View Quote

^ This.  And try to find ceramic coated cookware that does NOT have the 2 exposed rivet heads inside the skillet.  They make clean-up harder.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Cast Iron FTW.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Teflon CAN be toxic, if it gets above 500 degrees, and the shit is not good for you if gouged/scratched and it gets into the chow.
It's 99% hysterical organic faggot bullshit though. Just don't use Teflon coated stuff in the Oven or for searing steaks, and pitch the crap when it gets a gouge.
NOBODY has croaked from Teflon, or the other non stick coatings. Nobody. Just like nobody has grown a third eyeball from GMO's and conventional Ag...science it works.

Biggest drawback to the non stick garbage is long term cost, and shitty uneven cooking.
Teflon and the ceramic shit lasts a couple years and needs to be trashed. Aluminum is unsuitable for cooking anything, and makes simple stuff a PITA.

Cast Iron and Mineral steel with daily use, will outlive your Grand kids, is Oven safe, and is many times easier to cook with.

View Quote

I got my wife a big DeBuyer skillet for Christmas (thanks to somebody mentioning them here) because she has been telling me for years she hates cooking on Teflon. She at first doubted it would be as non-stick as many said it would be, so after a few days of oiling it up per the instructions and using it on various things, she tried "the egg test" as she calls it.. if eggs won't stick to it, then it's good to go. Well, it passed the egg test with flying colors and it's been her "go-to" skillet for everything for about the last month. Easy to clean, does great with everything she's tried, and nothing sticks to it that won't clean up with a little bit of hot water and a soft sponge.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Only faggots eschew cast iron.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I got my wife a big DeBuyer skillet for Christmas (thanks to somebody mentioning them here) because she has been telling me for years she hates cooking on Teflon. She at first doubted it would be as non-stick as many said it would be, so after a few days of oiling it up per the instructions and using it on various things, she tried "the egg test" as she calls it.. if eggs won't stick to it, then it's good to go. Well, it passed the egg test with flying colors and it's been her "go-to" skillet for everything for about the last month. Easy to clean, does great with everything she's tried, and nothing sticks to it that won't clean up with a little bit of hot water and a soft sponge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously Married well, and suffer no insults in matrimony good sir.
Good thing you treated her to the finest, as she rates it!

Wait until she gets 3-4 months on it. They get to be like oiled glass real quick.
I can do Crepes in ours.

ETA...

Ya can't do this with Teflon, and Ceramic ends up scorching and sticking like a bastard at high temps.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fuck yeah.

If you had tits I'd marry you.

No homo.
View All Quotes

I'm married to a pair, and she never does this. I had to do this myself, tonight.

And my tits aren't nearly as glorious.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Tell her the teflon keeps the seal blood from sticking, when you club them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm  a cast iron guy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
We've gone through a lot of non-stick pans. Now we're using cast iron and an 40yr old set of stainless her parents bought new back in the 70s.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We've gone through a lot of non-stick pans. Now we're using cast iron and an 40yr old set of stainless her parents bought new back in the 70s.
View Quote

Old school Revere ware FTW!!!!!!

It always amazes me, when I see Old 70's Revere ware going for 2 bucks at yard sales.
Some people are too stupid to appreciate the good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Is she also self-diagnosed with a gluten allergy?

Cooking with cast iron is probably more dangerous to your health than non-stick cookware if you don't know what your doing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top