Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2015 7:57:08 PM EDT
I live in the country so I can shoot and be loud if I want, but it is also quiet. Our next door neighbors bought the house on our road 1.5 years ago. They were quiet people for about 6 months. Then, we were awaken at 5:30 am by a straight piped truck that idled for 30 minutes. Then, their new Suburban got the Nascar exhaust treatment. I am 500+ feet from them and it rumbles. They wake up other neighbors too. I own race cars and shoot into my berm from time to time myself. So I am no anti noise lib myself..... In the fall, "dad" went to sight in his .308 rifle. I watched as the 10 year old son stood 15 feet from the target at 100 yards and called out the shots!!! I video'd that shit. I could not believe it. No backstop into a flat hard field with houses 600 yards behind us. This goes on from time to time. Now the 10 year old must have received a pistol for Christmas. Today he rapid fired 10+ rounds at the target... sadly, after about the 3rd round, they were all up at about a 45 degree angle. He was lobbing 9mm mortars. I am not an in your face or nosey neighbor. But how do you handle the damned loud trucks every morning and the negligent firearm stuff without violating a neighborship? Any realistic thoughts here? These houses behind us will end up taking a round before it's over. The irony is he owns a muffler shop too :).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Document it, contact the Sheriffs Department.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
When I lived in the country, I'd just let people be.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Try talking with him, maybe?

If that won't work, then call the cops as needed. No need to put up with shitheads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Smash in their door and head on in there with a machete?  No don't do that, it'll get you shot three times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The noise you'll just have to live with.

OTOH you can ask damcv62 about the legal consequences when the po-po think you've shot a house.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you sure your in the country?

When my neighbors shoot I have to really be listening for it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

So the people out back should leave them be when their house takes a .308 round? How does that work. Everybody on our street has let it be for 1.5 years and its about enough now. Loud trucks in the day, cool... but not when you have worked a 15 hour day and have a day off only to be awaken by a stock V8 with Cherry bombs... at least have a cam in it so it sounds good...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OTOH you can ask damcv62 about the legal consequences when the po-po think you've shot a house.
View Quote

Tried to find the thread but the search on AR15 sucks... only goes back 30 days.. unless I am missing something. Tried google but gave up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
When I hear bullets coming my way I call the sheriff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell your homeowners association.  They will fix it for you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So the people out back should leave them be when their house takes a .308 round? How does that work. Everybody on our street has let it be for 1.5 years and its about enough now. Loud trucks in the day, cool... but not when you have worked a 15 hour day and have a day off only to be awaken by a stock V8 with Cherry bombs... at least have a cam in it so it sounds good...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's legal recourse to that......In as much as a round to the house.

I would say "Thank god those people are super annoying...So I, too can be annoying in peace!"

BTW.....I'm not sure you live in the country.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Move
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol.  You don't live in the country.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just thinking that as I typed my response.  lol.  

No sir, you do not.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, I am 45 minutes from any population over 4000 people.... My local town is 15 mites away... I don't live in the city. Farm land everywhere. Most people would say I live in the country. I don't live 1,000 miles from nowhere in Idaho... no.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live in the country so I can shoot and be loud if I want, but it is also quiet. Our next door neighbors bought the house on our road 1.5 years ago. They were quiet people for about 6 months. Then, we were awaken at 5:30 am by a straight piped truck that idled for 30 minutes. Then, their new Suburban got the Nascar exhaust treatment. I am 500+ feet from them and it rumbles. They wake up other neighbors too. I own race cars and shoot into my berm from time to time myself. So I am no anti noise lib myself..... In the fall, "dad" went to sight in his .308 rifle. I watched as the 10 year old son stood 15 feet from the target at 100 yards and called out the shots!!! I video'd that shit. I could not believe it. No backstop into a flat hard field with houses 600 yards behind us. This goes on from time to time. Now the 10 year old must have received a pistol for Christmas. Today he rapid fired 10+ rounds at the target... sadly, after about the 3rd round, they were all up at about a 45 degree angle. He was lobbing 9mm mortars. I am not an in your face or nosey neighbor. But how do you handle the damned loud trucks every morning and the negligent firearm stuff without violating a neighborship? Any realistic thoughts here? These houses behind us will end up taking a round before it's over. The irony is he owns a muffler shop too :).
View Quote

OP, do you think you are going to get legit answers from typical GDers who own 10,000 acres with no neighbors within miles and who have 245,768 posts all the while tending to their vast property?

Go to the Outdoor Section and see what some adults have to say.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Potato

Tailpipe

Some assembly required
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Potato

Tailpipe

Some assembly required
View Quote

Isn't that supposed to be
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a crazy idea. Put on your big boy pants and go meet your neighbor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh lord
Just declare yourself HOA president or head neighborhood watch guy
Show up at his house wearing your crown and tell him to knock it off or you will bulldoze his house
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I hear bullets coming my way I call the sheriff.
View Quote

That's just the thing, the bullets aren't coming his way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
And after they tell you to go fuck yourself, it's their property and they'll do what they want, then what?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2z74ieh.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Potato

Tailpipe

Some assembly required

http://i58.tinypic.com/2z74ieh.jpg
I used potatoes.  I had a similar problem that OP is currently suffering from.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And after they tell you to go fuck yourself, it's their property and they'll do what they want, then what?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops if you live in town.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then, you post in GD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OP, do you think you are going to get legit answers from typical GDers who own 10,000 acres with no neighbors within miles and who have 245,768 posts all the while tending to their vast property?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, I shouldn't surf arfcom while I'm out in the pasture waiting for cows to walk a half mile so I can feed them?  

From now on, I'm going to just do everything the way I think you would do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So, I shouldn't surf arfcom while I'm out in the pasture waiting for cows to walk a half mile so I can feed them?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you made a typical GD dick comment to the OP.  "Oh you aint real country".  That's all.  As did a few other Ewing Southfork Ranch Owners here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

How did that ever end?  I see he had his original thread locked with no final report.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if they don't care if cops come to their door constantly?  

My problem neighbors CONSTANTLY had cops called on them for running their snowmachines in the streets, their asshole kids running their revving their cars all day and tear-assing down suburban streets in their trucks.  One had an illeagal loudspeaker and he used it to say how much he hated the neighborhood.  We and our neighbors constantly complained to the cops and there there really wasn't anything they could do if they didn't change their behavior in response to cops showing up on their doorstep.

Some people don't give a shit, don't have any shame, don't give a fuck about anyone else.  And they own a house next to your property.  What are you going to do?  Move?

I responded with very passive-aggressive actions because that's how I roll.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#31]
My favorite treatment for people that use sound to irritate others..

"High-frequency pain-field generator"

http://servv89pn0aj.sn.sourcedns.com/~gbpprorg/mil/mindcontrol/acoustic.htm

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your favorite treatment, eh?  Employ it often?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Leave anonymous notes in the mailboxes of the houses in the line of fire letting them know what the people are doing.  I am sure they will complain to the cops and you can say you dindu nuffin.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

you made a typical GD dick comment to the OP.  "Oh you aint real country".  That's all.  As did a few other Ewing Southfork Ranch Owners here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm right.  South Fork is a really small house.  Just FYI.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Document it, contact the Sheriffs Department.
View Quote

Since the OP himself has said he can be "loud if he wants" since he's in the country, I'm not sure what the local sheriff can do.  I mean other than the kid being downrange 15 feet from the target.  ... unless the OP has some local county or state laws dictating range setups or noise levels etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Offer to help him build a berm so he can shoot safely. It'll help with the exhaust noise too if you pick the right spot on his property.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#37]
SSS
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well to be fair if he can hear their vehicle idle loud enough while in his house to bother him it doesn't sound very country.

That tells his neighbors are quite close.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Just wait until they put a few rounds in someone's house the Sheriff will take care of your problem for you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had the opportunity..
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Talk to the neighbor about noise and see if you can come up with a livable arrangement.

If yes, update thread and move on with life.

If no,  ask neighbor in a polite but matter-of-fact fashion whether he should expect the same consideration FROM his neighbors that he shows TOWARDS his neighbors.

At that point, start preparing your noise-maker of choice to be utilized every hour throughout the night.  In can be midnight shooting.  Fireworks.  PA system with rap music. It doesn't matter.  After all.. you both can do what you want in the country.

Take a week of vacation time to sleep through the day.  Put your wife and children in a Holiday Inn express to avoid spousal blow-back.

For an added touch field dress a gut-shot deer at the property line.

Everyone is glad that  I live in a swamp with no neighbors.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My problem neighbors CONSTANTLY had cops called on them for running their snowmachines in the streets, their asshole kids running their revving their cars all day and tear-assing down suburban streets in their trucks.  One had an illeagal loudspeaker and he used it to say how much he hated the neighborhood.  We and our neighbors constantly complained to the cops and there there really wasn't anything they could do if they didn't change their behavior in response to cops showing up on their doorstep.  

Some people don't give a shit, don't have any shame, don't give a fuck about anyone else.  And they own a house next to your property.  What are you going to do?  Move?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont know.   Never had that problem. My problem was with a neighbor with dogs that barked 24/7.  They would keep the neighborhood up for hours.

I asked him once to shut the damn animals up.   Then the cops.   He was fined and threatned with arrest until compliance. Probabally would have shot the damn dogs if the cops hadnt done anything.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well to be fair if he can hear their vehicle idle loud enough while in his house to bother him it doesn't sound very country.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They park with the exhaust pointed at our house. that is how their parking area is arranged. I am 660' from them to my house. I own 10 acres, so I do not have 20 square miles like most people do in " the country". I have met them, and they are nice people, but I am certain he will tell us to fuck off if we bring up serious gun safety issues with him and his 10 year old. The 10 year old tore the shit out of my property with his minibike last summer. I did not say anything because A- I was a kid once too, and B- he never rode the motorcycle in my yard again. I didn't mean to start any BS, I was just asking for some legitimate ways to stop the loud ass trucks and suggest better gun safety. He's a grown man, and so am I. I should not have to be his daddy here, and that's why I don't think going to him would fix anything. His oldest son did donuts in his 4x4 probably 50' on my property when they first moved in. I did not say anything because its on the property line closest to him, and I am not a bitchy neighbor. I know how to pick and choose battles with neighbors. I know you don't want neighbors who hate you. No good will ever come of that. I had a mean ass bitchy neighbor as a kid and I made a promise not to be a dick. But now we have more than just annoyingly loud vehicles (3), we have safety concerns. I realize I am probably going to have to live with the noise. I get that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#45]
here is the solution OP:
Solution

closest to property line and aimed appropriately, someone will get the hint pretty quickly
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They park with the exhaust pointed at our house. that is how their parking area is arranged. I am 660' from them to my house. I own 10 acres, so I do not have 20 square miles like most people do in " the country". I have met them, and they are nice people, but I am certain he will tell us to fuck off if we bring up serious gun safety issues with him and his 10 year old. The 10 year old tore the shit out of my property with his minibike last summer. I did not say anything because A- I was a kid once too, and B- he never rode the motorcycle in my yard again. I didn't mean to start any BS, I was just asking for some legitimate ways to stop the loud ass trucks and suggest better gun safety. He's a grown man, and so am I. I should not have to be his daddy here, and that's why I don't think going to him would fix anything. His oldest son did donuts in his 4x4 probably 50' on my property when they first moved in. I did not say anything because its on the property line closest to him, and I am not a bitchy neighbor. I know how to pick and choose battles with neighbors. I know you don't want neighbors who hate you. No good will ever come of that. I had a mean ass bitchy neighbor as a kid and I made a promise not to be a dick. But now we have more than just annoyingly loud vehicles (3), we have safety concerns. I realize I am probably going to have to live with the noise. I get that.
View Quote

I wouldn't bring up the safety concerns.  I'd go talk to the "down-range" neighbor.  Let HIM bring them up.

As for the noise... You have to decide:  Do you want your neighbors to give you the bare-minimum of concern that you show him?  I'll not give any more respect than I get..... ever.

Talk to him, and see if he respects your neighborly arrangement as much as you do and act accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I wouldn't bring up the safety concerns.  I'd go talk to the "down-range" neighbor.  Let HIM bring them up.

As for the noise... You have to decide:  Do you want your neighbors to give you the bare-minimum of concern that you show him?  I'll not give any more respect than I get..... ever.

Talk to him, and see if he respects your neighborly arrangement as much as you do and act accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will talk to him this week when i see him come home. I am not too hopeful that he will weld mufflers back on all 3 of their straight piped trucks. We will see...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
SSS
View Quote

Or burn him down.

Both of these are felonies, I wouldn't recommend them.

OP, country life is different from suburbia. You want to make noise by shooting and have race cars, don't be surprised when your neighbor 500' away does, too.

Could be worse. My neighbors are 50' away. At least mine are quiet, though. But I can't shoot guns in my yard without getting arrested and going to jail.

Sometimes you have to let the trainwreck happen. Eventually junior will take a round from dumbass dad, ending the fun and games. Since Junior would have probably turned out to be just as big a dumbass as daddy. you'd do the world a favor by just letting the trainwreck happen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:09:22 AM EDT
[#49]
If you and your neighbors have not sacked up in a year and a half, why are you doing it now? Why video tape it you waiting for the kid to get killed open your mouth or myofb. He is your Neighbor if your heard him shooting and seen it wasnt safe, why not say hey i shoot too want to come see my range? Show him how a safe range is set up and offer to help him with his. Problem solved
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top