Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 6:15:04 PM EDT
Bought a Boston Butt on sale at Kroger and threw it on the smoker overnight at 7 PM last evening for a planned lunch today.  Overnight it stalled at 140 and stayed there forever......it has now been on the smoker for 23 hours and has maxed out at 165 degrees.  I've confirmed the temp with two different probes on my wireless thermometer and a separate digital thermometer.

Anyone else ever had a piece of pork that wouldn't ever get up to temp?

I'm heartbroken.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
165 is perfect for that....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
everything from Boston is a little slow....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What temp was the cooker at? I do butts all the time at 350.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What temp was the cooker at? I do butts all the time at 350.
View Quote

230 per the usual.

It hit a couple spikes at 320 for some unknown reason during the night.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an offset smoker, so the meat never really gets all that hot. Heresy, I know, but I'll often finish meat in the oven.

24 hours of smoke is probably going to leave that one pretty bitter. But at least it was on sale
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Slice it at 165 or finish it in the oven at 350 till 200 then pull it after it rests.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
You can pull it from the smoker after about 4-6 hours, wrap in tinfoil, and add some apple juice.  Put in oven at 225 to 250. When internal temp gauge says about 180 to 185, pull and finish on smoker to re-establish bark. This will cut many hours. No effect on the taste or texture.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Finish it off in a crock pot.  It will be good
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have the temp prob too close to the bone?

The Texas crutch is your friend.  Meat starts sweating around 160* and that is what causes the stall you are experiencing.   Wrap the butt in foil until it hits 180*.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Your smoker temps had to be dropping below 225.

Did you pull it and wrap it in foil?  It needs to hit 195 to break down all of the connective tissue.

If you can't control the smoker temps then just pull it and finish it in the oven.  It's not going to absorb any more smoke at this point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bought a Boston Butt on sale at Kroger and threw it on the smoker overnight at 7 PM last evening for a planned lunch today.  Overnight it stalled at 140 and stayed there forever......it has now been on the smoker for 23 hours and has maxed out at 165 degrees.  I've confirmed the temp with two different probes on my wireless thermometer and a separate digital thermometer.

Anyone else ever had a piece of pork that wouldn't ever get up to temp?

I'm heartbroken.
View Quote

You should crutch it.  

Smoke it for about four hours at 225.  Keep it humid.  Put it on the smoker cold...As cold as you
can get without frozen.  After four hours you can put it in the oven covered in foil or in a roasting
pan with about a cup of fluid inside.  

Cook for an overall time of about 12 hours.  I love making eastern NC style BBQ and that's the
method I use.  Works like a charm.  Your smoke absorption rate into the meat falls so rapidly as
to be non cost/effort effective after about four hours.

Just pick up a small butt and try it like I just said.  Promise you won't be upset.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
160 is fine for pork why are you trying to over cook it... USDA says 145 is safe...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Finish it off in a crock pot.  It will be good
View Quote

If you want stew.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If I can't get the Q up to temp because Wisconsin I apply the appropriate amount of smoke and finish in the oven.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
160 is fine for pork why are you trying to over cook it... USDA says 145 is safe...
View Quote

A Boston but isn't a pork chop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your smoker temps had to be dropping below 225.

Did you pull it and wrap it in foil?  It needs to hit 195 to break down all of the connective tissue.

If you can't control the smoker temps then just pull it and finish it in the oven.  It's not going to absorb any more smoke at this point.
View Quote

Yes sir.  

Unless you want to sit out and drink beer and listen to the radio for
12 hours, and, have an interactive experience with your cooking.....Smoke it
for four hours, then, wrap in foil/put in a covered roasting pan with a cup of fluid
(It doesn't matter if it's water or beer or juice....It literally will not matter)
and finish it off at 225.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to be at ~160 to turn collagen into gelatin.  This is what makes the meat tender.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Why you torturing yourself?

Finish it in the damn oven and try again next time?

Unless your trying to make jerky, then just leave it in!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The art of BBQ is lost on some of these guys
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]
A little education goes a long way.  It's not hard to make a very, very good brisket,
butt, or whatever.

You can be as intensive, or non intensive as you choose as long as you have four solid hours
to invest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top