Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:53:25 PM EDT
Now that Ford trucks are made with aluminum, all the new Chevy and GM commercials touting the superiority of steel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
well, they've got to be better at something.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I think all those high tech fighter planes things are made of aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
OP add a POLL

Suspect Ford will still win.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember 5 years ago...   V6 turbo in a truck?!? Crazy. Americans want a V8, will fail. Not possible.

500,000 ecoboost f150s later... Ford got it right. Innovation is good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
there is a reason why the best selling truck for like 37 years is the F-150...oh and it is the most American vehicle on the road...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh

Tundra
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
GM going aluminum soon
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Solid front axle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My steel-bodied Chevy got hit in the parking lot by a steel-bodied Ford. The Ford was totaled and my Chevy wasn't even scuffed. Had it been a new aluminum Ford, the carnage would have been hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've owned nothing but F150s and always will, I love them, still have 2 of em.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Tundra FTW
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Ford wins, in a few years others will go to aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Have owned a non aluminum ford and a chevy. Own a dodge now for a reason. Are they both still using leaf springs in the rear? Outdated bro. My 3/4 ton Ram rides so much better than any 1/2 ton truck I ever owned. (Chevy,ford,toyota)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My steel-bodied Chevy got hit in the parking lot by a steel-bodied Ford. The Ford was totaled and my Chevy wasn't even scuffed. Had it been a new aluminum Ford, the carnage would have been hilarious.
View Quote

Lies. Not a single scuff (implies nothing worse), and the ford was totaled? Show just a picture you took of this accident scene. You did take a picture didn't you?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a chevy on my trailer right now . I pull that trailer with a Ford
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lies. Not a single scuff (implies nothing worse), and the ford was totaled? Show just a picture you took of this accident scene. You did take a picture didn't you?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No pics, we were already pretty embarrassed on behalf of the Ford driver who hit a parked pickup truck.

I think he hit one of his own crumple zones just right. The front end was really mangled. Chevy taillights and rear bumpers are surprisingly durable!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Will have to see how the paint holds up, extremely hard to get paint to stick good to aluminum especially in high calcium chloride areas....as for the poster who said they sell more trucks then anyone else..technically they don't..GM out sells them when you combine chevy/gmc/caddy...all built on the same platform.....as for the V-6..I will still take a GM 6.2 over it..better performance and fuel economy out of the new 6.2.....Drive what fits you..they are all damn good compared to even 10 years ago...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Both have had strong and weak points in recent history.  Gm with its brake lines rotting out and weak front drive components.  Then ford with heavy duty stuff that wears out a lot, not to mention having to keep a coil in the glove box.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Steel Chevy what? Both the Ford and Chevy have steel frames. the only thing new on the ford is that the body is Aluminum.

THe body panels are current trucks aren't steel whatsoever. they are galvanized recycled mixes. trimmed with excessive plastic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No pics, we were already pretty embarrassed on behalf of the Ford driver who hit a parked pickup truck.

I think he hit one of his own crumple zones just right. The front end was really mangled. Chevy taillights and rear bumpers are surprisingly durable!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a surprise, you don't have pics.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#25]
In a city with a population of 1.3 million people, there is only one body shop that is authorized to do any type of body repair on the new aluminum Ford trucks.

I'll stick with my old Chevy (unless a nice King Ranch comes in on trade, I really like those trucks).
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#26]
If Chevy built their trucks out of aluminum, would the door handles fall off even sooner
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In a city with a population of 1.3 million people, there is only one body shop that is authorized to do any type of body repair on the new aluminum Ford trucks.

I'll stick with my old Chevy (unless a nice King Ranch comes in on trade, I really like those trucks).
View Quote

This will change and adjust to market share/demand as necessary. I have no longer term concerns about that. Body shops will evolve to fix what the people are driving (well crashing I guess that is)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
there is a reason why the best selling truck for like 37 years is the F-150...oh and it is the most American vehicle on the road...
View Quote

If you wanna get technical however Chevy and GMC combined far exceeds Ford sales
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Remember 5 years ago...   V6 turbo in a truck?!? Crazy. Americans want a V8, will fail. Not possible.

500,000 ecoboost f150s later... Ford got it right. Innovation is good.
View Quote

And not built with tax payers money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#30]
The stable (just missing the Rav4). They're all good, the Ford is just more gooderer.  Love my Ecoboost and the hoods have been aluminum since 04.  The wife's Tahoe is more plastic than steel.  
How many 99-09 Chevy's are running around with half rusted out rocker panels?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:]What a surprise, you don't have pics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you wanna get technical however Chevy and GMC combined far exceeds Ford sales
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Or they are at least much closer, not the complete and total dominance some Ford fans would have you believe.

They are all good trucks. I don't understand the whole "I only buy ____ truck, and all the rest are total crap" mentality.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Motortrend did a comparo of the 2015 Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge 1/2 tons.  

This is what they had to say about the Chevy:

"The Chevrolet Silverado is simply a step behind the Ford F-150 and Ram 1500 in every regard. To quote Seabaugh: "You know things aren't looking so hot when the best thing about your truck is its Wi-Fi hot spot."

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#34]
FBHO, I won't do what he tells me.

I voted Ram.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Motortrend did a comparo of the 2015 Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge 1/2 tons.  

This is what they had to say about the Chevy:

"The Chevrolet Silverado is simply a step behind the Ford F-150 and Ram 1500 in every regard. To quote Seabaugh: "You know things aren't looking so hot when the best thing about your truck is its Wi-Fi hot spot."

View Quote

They also gave the Chevy Colorado the 2015 Truck of the Year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep..my uncle has a Geeko Roost F150 that regularly gets 12 to 16 mpg...
I am not a ford hater just not a real fan boy of the F150. I do like the Super Duty trucks because

they can be had with manual locking front hubs on the 4x4" s
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#37]
GM will claim aluminum is crap until they come along with their new and improved aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
According to Car and Driver the Ford only weighs 100 lbs less than the Chevy.   I know it wouldn't take long for aluminum fenders to look like shit on my truck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure about that?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/11/best-selling-pickup-trucks-october-2014.html

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Depends. 1 ton - Ford. Midsized - Chevy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Chevy...........
Because steel is vastly superior to aluminum.

2006 65,000 miles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Chevy/GM/Ram
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#44]
The last 5 or 6 trucks I've owned have been Ford's; I am seriously considering a new Chevrolet truck base on my experience the last few years.  

Ford has been using aluminum hoods on the Mustangs for a while now, and they are having paint issues.  My son's 2012 had paint peeling off the hood less than 2 years old and Ford won't do shit because he had 40,000 miles on it.  My 2010 F-150 shows rust all around the bends in the sheet metal.  I just spent $1500 replacing a A/C evaporator coil in it, and only 4 years old, caused by corrosion and made out of aluminum.  Would I take a chance on an all aluminum Ford truck, hell no..........at least not for a few years until they have proven themselves.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/seh6p.gif

Lol. Good gif choice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I've always been a fan of the general, They all make decent trucks and all have there weeknesses but the GM parts interchangeability is way better than any of the rest, and has made the mantince costs much cheaper. The fuel economy is what has provoked the switch to allum. There all trying to trim the fat to save fuel, and I hope it works out for them, it has to be better than the " quite steel " they tried. I do have concerns with the fatigue of alum. Vs steel but Kenworth and Peterbuilt use it all the time. I just think the older trucks were better they weren't designed to ride like a car and didn't have all the yuppie creature comforts, they were made for work not showing off, and they use to be cheap to buy now they cost almost as much as a house!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#47]
As a long time Chevy guy, I like the Ram of the 3.  I don't like the current trend Ford is on. Yes, I know Ford is ARFCOM's truck of choice.

A buddy of mine just bought a Laramie Longhorn 2500.  Bar none, that is the nicest truck I have ever been in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]
silly little half ton cars.  

Cummins/Ram.  Nothing else matters.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Iv'e had my aluminum ford for 2 weeks now and the paint is still on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top