Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:51:11 PM EDT
For my contribution, I give you the Sig 710

The SIG MG 710-3 is an automatic, air-cooled belt-fed weapon operated by roller-delayed blowback and fires from an open bolt. The machine gun's bolt differs from other contemporary designs employing the short recoil method of operation (such asCETME and Heckler & Koch designed weapons), being a 3-piece design that consists of a bolt head with two locking rollers, a striker sleeve and the bolt carrier which is connected telescopically with the bolt head. When a round is chambered pressure from the return spring drives the bolt and carrier assembly forward; simultaneously both rollers engage camming surfaces which drive the rollers outward from their compressed travel position into recesses in the barrel extension. Upon firing, the bolt carrier and striker assembly recoil to the rear and the geometry of the fixed camming surfaces drives the rollers inward unlocking the bolt breech and increasing the speed at which the striker sleeve withdraws relative to the bolt. As the slower bolt continues rearward it impacts the returning striker sleeve (this impact decelerates the bolt).

The bolt assembly also contains the spring extractor, while a lever case ejector is located at the base of the feed tray. Spent casings are ejected downward. The weapon has a striker firing mechanism, a trigger assembly for fully automatic only fire and a cross-bolt safety (the "safe" setting disables the bolt catch).

The SIG MG 710-3 is fed from the left side by either NATO standard disintegrating M13 (U.S.) or continuous link German DM1 belt, but only after swapping several parts in the feed block. When used in a light machine gun role, the ammunition belt is stored in a sheet metal container that has a 50-round capacity and is attached to the left side of the receiver. The feeding mechanism resembles the one used in the MAG machine gun (a simplified version of the MG 42's feed system) operated with a feed arm driven by the motion of the striker sleeve. The belt is fed in two stages during both the forward and rear movement of the bolt assembly.

The quick-change barrel, ended with a slotted flash suppressor, has a fixed handle used to remove it. The machine gun uses three types of barrels: a light profile, heavy profile (in a heavy machine gun role), and special type (used for firing blank ammunition).

The firearm has a fixed stock (metal or wood), detachable bipod and open-type sights (rear sight is a sliding tangent with settings from 100 to 1200 m with 100 m increments). Used as a static heavy machine gun the weapon is placed on a SIG L810 tripod. It is also adapted to use an optical sight (with 2.5x magnification) or a night vision device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_MG_710-3

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Too good of a thread idea to let go.

The Ultimax 100, probably well known in the circles here.

The Ultimax 100 is a gas-operated automatic weapon (capable of fully automatic fire only) with a short-stroke gas piston operating system powered by ignited powder gases diverted from the barrel through a port in the gas block. The Ultimax 100 is a locked breech weapon with a rotating bolt that contains 7 locking lugs. It fires from an open bolt position.
View Quote

Widespread adoption of the design might have been compromised by its feed system. The original Ultimax 100 was meant to be used with a drum magazine holding 100 rounds. Unfortunately, the drum magazine was bulky. It was also difficult to reload without a special mechanism. The shape of the drum magazine also occupied more space compared to M16 magazines or the FN Minimi box holding a belt of 200 rounds. The machine gunner also could not take magazines from other squad members who were equipped with M16s
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Japanese Type 62 Machine Gun

The Sumitomo NTK-62 is a gas operated machine gun chambered in the 7.62mm NATO cartridge, belt fed with the use ofM13 disintegrating links.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumitomo_Type_62#cite_note-MF-3][3][/url] It has an unusual feed tray as the pivoting lever is above the bolt in the receiver rather than in the feed tray cover found on most machine guns.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i50.tinypic.com/1430ys0.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Section_Automatic_Weapon.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Ultimax 100 is a gas-operated automatic weapon (capable of fully automatic fire only) with a short-stroke gas piston operating system powered by ignited powder gases diverted from the barrel through a port in the gas block. The Ultimax 100 is a locked breech weapon with a rotating bolt that contains 7 locking lugs. It fires from an open bolt position.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1430ys0.jpg

Widespread adoption of the design might have been compromised by its feed system. The original Ultimax 100 was meant to be used with a drum magazine holding 100 rounds. Unfortunately, the drum magazine was bulky. It was also difficult to reload without a special mechanism. The shape of the drum magazine also occupied more space compared to M16 magazines or the FN Minimi box holding a belt of 200 rounds. The machine gunner also could not take magazines from other squad members who were equipped with M16s

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Section_Automatic_Weapon.jpg

The drums were designed to be disposable (issued loaded and thrown away after use) - source: discussion with CIS head designer, 1984.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I want them all
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Sumitomo NTK-62 is a gas operated machine gun chambered in the 7.62mm NATO cartridge, belt fed with the use ofM13 disintegrating links.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumitomo_Type_62#cite_note-MF-3][3][/url] It has an unusual feed tray as the pivoting lever is above the bolt in the receiver rather than in the feed tray cover found on most machine guns.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Japan_Type_62_General_Purpose_Machine_Gun.jpg/800px-Japan_Type_62_General_Purpose_Machine_Gun.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/machine/mg55/type62_1.jpg

View Quote

Interesting. I didn't know they built a 308 beltfed. I've got nothing to add. I only know about my pig.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Interesting. I didn't know they built a 308 beltfed. I've got nothing to add. I only know about my pig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Japan_Type_62_General_Purpose_Machine_Gun.jpg/800px-Japan_Type_62_General_Purpose_Machine_Gun.jpg
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/machine/mg55/type62_1.jpg

I only know this because I read the link, apparently they're phasing it out and pretty much use it in coax form these days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
French AA52

The AA-52 (full designation in French: Arme Automatique Transformable Modèle 1952, "Transformable automatic weapon model 1952"), also known as "La Nana" is one of the first French-produced guns of the post-World War II era. It was manufactured by the French government-owned MAS company. The AA-52 is still used today as a vehicle-mounted weapon due to large quantities in service, but has been replaced in the helicopter role by the Belgian FN MAG, starting with the EC 725 Caracal of the Special Operations units and the Air Force Search and Rescue teams.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Hungarian KGK

The KGK universal (general purpose) machine gun was produced in Hungary during the 1960s and 1970s. It is based on the Soviet Goryunov SGM medium machine gun, adapted to a universal role by the installation of a pistol grip below the receiver and a rifle-type shoulder stock, which replaced the dual spade grips of the original SGM. It was used by Hungarian army on a limited scale and was later replaced by domestically produced copy of the Kalashnikov PKM machine gun.

The KGK universal (general purpose) machine gun is gas operated weapon with long stroke gas piston which is located below the quick-change barrel. It fires from open bolt, in full automatic mode only. Barrel locking is achieved by tilting rear part of the breechblock to the side, where it locks into the cut made in the receiver wall. The SGM / PK type non-disintegrating steel belts with closed pockets are used to feed the KGK, and similar belt boxes can be attached below the receiver. Gun is equipped with integral, folding bipod, and also can be used from lightweight folding tripod with AA adapter or from various vehicle mounts.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Belt-Fed AR-10

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Seeing a lot of mg42 clones...

Also the ultimax isn't really a gmpg
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Can't be GPMG with 5.56mm.  Must be at least 7.62x51mm or equiv.

Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Seeing a lot of mg42 clones...

Also the ultimax isn't really a gmpg
View Quote

And your contribution to this thread is forthcoming?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for playing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for playing.

You realize what the AR10 is right?

My contribution (although a GPMG does need a tripod off to read more)

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Vektor SS-77 from South Africa..

I remember reading Peter G. Kokalis's articles in 'Fighting Firearms' magazine, gushing over this GPMG and the 5.56 Mini-SS.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for playing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for playing.

Um...no.

It's an AR-10 from the pre-5.56mm days.  The pic traces back to this archived ARF thread...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=643800

Nice pic, here, with other AR-10s.  Belt-feds towards the bottom.

Best,
JBR

Edit to add:  AR-10 Promotional Video.  Skip to around 12:30 for the belt-fed conversion (but why would you skip all that Cold War goodness?)

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]

A 5.56x45mm MG42... always wanted one!

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I fucked up putting the ultimax in here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for playing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for playing.

you should be banned from ARFCOM.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#21]

now for some big iron:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPV_heavy_machine_gun

The KPV-14.5 heavy machine gun (KPV is an initialism for Krupnokaliberniy Pulemyot Vladimirova, in Russian as ???????????????? ??????? ???????????, or ???) is a Soviet designed 14.5x114mm-caliber heavy machine gun, which first entered service as an infantry weapon (designated PKP) in 1949. In the 1960s the infantry version was taken out of production because it was too big and heavy. It was later redesigned for anti-aircraft use, because it showed excellent results as an AA gun, with a range of 3,000 meters horizontally and 2,000 meters vertically against low flying planes.[1] It was used in the ZPU series of anti-aircraft guns. Its size and power also made it a useful light anti-armour weapon on the BTR series of vehicles and the BRDM-2 scout car.
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14.5%C3%97114mm

a 920 grain projectile with a muzzle velocity the same as M193 out of a 20" barrel (3300 fps).

ouch.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That Cetme looks badass. One day I will get my hands on an M60, even if it's a semi auto copy.

View All Quotes

A semi-auto m60 is probably gonna feel like a waste of money.  They're expensive enough that you could get into the auto game for less money (not an auto m60, obviously).  M60s feel chincy as it is.. A super expensive closed bolt semi auto might be fun for a day, but the novelty will wear off quickly.  I'd keep saving for the real deal.

Just my semi-educated opinion.  Good luck either way.  My dream is a transferable 240 (yeah right).  

Eff the ATF and the NFA and 86 ban.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Bren

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#24]
5.56mm SAW type weapons, Bren guns and the ultimax all are not GPMG.

A GPMG is a belt fed, rifle caliber (not intermediate) mg with a quick change barrel that can be fired from various configs bipod, tripod, Vechicle mounted.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#25]
The Mk48, probably not very well known outside of SOF or some Infantry units. I've seen them used on a support by fire although it's not common, probably stretching the definition of a GPMG. They do have a quick change barrel, never put on on a tripod though. Grab it over the 240L every chance I get

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#26]
The Stinger

Created by mating the stock of the M1 Garand to, not an M1919A6, but actually an AN/M2 .30 Caliber aircraft gun, chugging along at 1100 rounds per minute.

ETA: Just found something of note in connection with the Stinger. Worth the read.

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR posthumously to

CORPORAL TONY STEIN
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, 1st Battalion, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Islands, 19 February 1945. The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Cpl. Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position. When his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machinegun and mortar barrage, he gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns. Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes 1 by 1 and succeeded in killing 20 of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault. Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition. Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements and ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of 8 trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time. Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification. Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position. Stouthearted and indomitable, Cpl. Stein, by his aggressive initiative sound judgment, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.[4]

/S/ HARRY S. TRUMAN
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I want them all
View Quote
Peter Kokalis already won.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#28]
FN MAG

Slotting floppies
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Fine, I'll play.

Dror.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Type 99?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I get tight in the pants when I think about the GD 338 LWMMG.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:58:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Wikpedia
The HK121 is a 7.62×51mm NATO general-purpose machine gun manufactured by Heckler & Koch. The weapon is intended as a replacement for the Rheinmetall MG3. This weapon resembles the 5.56×45mm NATO Heckler & Koch MG4 light machine gun which was adopted into German military service in 2005. In June 2013, it was announced that Germany is conducting testing and evaluation on 65 samples and plan to purchase at least 7,114 of the machine guns for the Bundeswehr during 2014-2017, in a deal that over time could grow to 12,733 HK121.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Type 73 takes the cake as unknown.
A Bren and a PKM had freaky kinky one night stand in a little town called Pyongyang.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1785

Mag or beltfed. 7.62x54r
Only two known to exist outside of North Korea. One of which turned up in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:35:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Schwarzlose....

that's an odd ball
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The Mk48, probably not very well known outside of SOF or some Infantry units. I've seen them used on a support by fire although it's not common, probably stretching the definition of a GPMG. They do have a quick change barrel, never put on on a tripod though. Grab it over the 240L every chance I get

View Quote

Really?  We never got Limas, but we did get some MK48s to replace our Bravos.  We used em for about a week and then traded them back in for our 240Bs.  

Every experience I've had with the mk48 proved it to be less favorable than the 240, despite the smaller size and lighter weight.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
MG 39 Rh

http://i.imgur.com/WAEP9vo.jpg  
View Quote

Good looking gun. Who is this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A Bren and a PKM had freaky kinky one night stand in a little town called Pyongyang.

Mag or beltfed. 7.62x54r
View Quote

SOLD
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:38:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

German.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Mag or beltfed. 7.62x54r
View Quote

That one is very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVKuoVi6NfA
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVKuoVi6NfA
I shot that video

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Daewoo XK12

7.62x51
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Belt-fed version of the Swedish Kulsprutegevär 37, in 6.5x55.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#49]

the UK-59 is probably my favorite machine gun due to the charging mechanism
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I like op but he reminds me of the guy that would go on forever during final formation because he liked to hear himself talk. You really need to slow down with starting threads. It's almost predictable. Are you getting paid to keep site traffic going?
View Quote

I like you too.  I'll kill you last.  

GD gets as stale as 3 day old bread.  There's about 5 or 6 topics, and then the current event outrage of the moment.  It gets tedious.  My personal mission as an Arfcommer is to relieve that tedium.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top