Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 2:50:34 PM EDT
I remember seeing all the media excitement a couple years ago when Marissa Mayer was hired to lead Yahoo! into a huge booming growth. I happened to read an article last week that seems more realistic than the media hype about her. It was long but I was really entertained.

Apparently one of her ideas to force out low performing employees caused a lot of back stabbing and hate through out the ranks and they were able to have a Q&A with her. She got up onto the stage in the crowded auditorium and read them a completely irrelevant children's book.

Here is another article much shorter than the above.

Anyone here a Yahoo! employee? It seems the only reason yahoo is still around is because they purchased so much of alibaba
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure someone more juiced in will chime in but the valley is really a battle over talent.  A good measure of a company is if they are drawing in top talent and retaining it.

yahoo is not.  If you remove the alibaba portion of their business there isn't much left that others don't do a much better job of providing.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
i want to copulate with her
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

they say her laugh is horrible, grating, and completely obnoxious.   not bad to look at but horrible to be around.. so they say.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
She took away work life balance benefits while building a nursery suite onto her office for her infant and nanny.

Sounds like a great boss.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

they say her laugh is horrible, grating, and completely obnoxious.   not bad to look at but horrible to be around.. so they say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
She took away work life balance benefits while building a nursery suite onto her office for her infant and nanny.

View Quote

Has to be a liberal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
No more glass ceiling to keep me from spooging in her face.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
She's an Obama cult worshipper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Not ready for prime time.  She goes from a Google manager with a staff of 250 to trying to run a multi-billion dollar enterprise.  That's like going from Captain to Major General with no steps in between.  Nope, nope, nope.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]

That's what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

'Work Life Balance for me but not for thee' could be the motto of most Fortune 500 Executives, IME.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Has to be a liberal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has to be a liberal.

She is one of the top supporters of the Gifford's anti-gun group.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I loved working under a guy who always spoke about maintaining a work life balance.. without realizing that no one who worked under him was able to enjoy that balance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/534efc476bb3f73a72321767/marissa-mayer-is-trying-to-woo-apple-into-making-yahoo-the-default-search-engine-on-the-iphone.jpg

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/534efc476bb3f73a72321767/marissa-mayer-is-trying-to-woo-apple-into-making-yahoo-the-default-search-engine-on-the-iphone.jpg

http://youtu.be/mcSujceZDmg

well she is a blonde, so I guess the laugh isn't too surprising

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not ready for prime time.  She goes from a Google manager with a staff of 250 to trying to run a multi-billion dollar enterprise.  That's like going from Captain to Major General with no steps in between.  Nope, nope, nope.  
View Quote

She deserves some credit (as one of the original employees of Google) in being able to keep pace to some degree during Google's rise.

Have to assume she was eventually pushed to the side due to some variation of "founders syndrome", which really calls into question Yahoo's decision to hire her as a CEO.

But, as the article states, the decision and her approach are both based on the fantasy of a rockstar CEO saving the day with what amounts to magic, rather than nuts and bolts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Yahoo is to liberal for me.  They lost me long ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yahoo is to liberal for me.  They lost me long ago.
View Quote

This, yahoo is so liberal it probably cut off its own penis.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#23]
My Grandpa told me about this Yahoo.  Sounds like it was pretty neat back then.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Reminds me of goats

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Like a poster said above she's wasn't ready for prime time but the board of yahoo thougt it was a good move. I had my doubts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#27]
This is obviously a display of New York Times war on women.  
Why you hate women NYT?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks perfect for yahoo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about community organizer to pres....

Txl
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What

The

Fuck???
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She looks like a Dr. Suess character.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#32]
she strikes me as a neurotic, mildly awkward middle-aged white lady that probably likes cats. for some reason that does something for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Yahoo was dead before she came along.  she turned the company around and I made a decent chunk of change off of it in the stock market.  As with all new leaders there is an adjustment period and new ideas that fail.  All it sounds like now is people are more willing to be vocal about the problems some of her ideas caused.

As for employees getting mad because bad employees were held accoutable...well it sounds like the firings haven't gone far enough.  There are plenty of IT good people who would love to work there.  Fire those who aren't pulling their weight.  I believe one thing the employees were pissed about was when she took away working from home and made everyone come into the office and work a full shift.  Oh the horrors!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Honestly, when I read these kind of articles it just reinforces my my
thoughts that most of these executives make a shit ton of money and
aren't really all that great at what they do. They certainly aren't the second coming like they are frequently made out to be. The article is probably
biased but it sounds like she is shitty leader and out of touch (which describes probably a majority of people in her position). It just makes me think of the scene from Office Space:

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Out of touch BS artist? The world those people live in is very different from the real world.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#36]
She obviously doesn't use yahoo mail for iPad, because it sucks.yahoo sucks in general. One big suckfest
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easily verifiable on YouTube.

Would like to bang, but would have to be drunk if she starts that laughing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

She deserves some credit (as one of the original employees of Google) in being able to keep pace to some degree during Google's rise.

Have to assume she was eventually pushed to the side due to some variation of "founders syndrome""Founders ex-girlfriend", which really calls into question Yahoo's decision to hire her as a CEO.

But, as the article states, the decision and her approach are both based on the fantasy of a rockstar CEO saving the day with what amounts to magic, rather than nuts and bolts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to assume she was eventually pushed to the side due to some variation of "founders syndrome""Founders ex-girlfriend", which really calls into question Yahoo's decision to hire her as a CEO.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Has to be a liberal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Has to be a liberal.
Uber liberal.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
She obviously doesn't use yahoo mail for iPad, because it sucks.yahoo sucks in general. One big suckfest
View Quote

People still use yahoo mail?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#41]

'Till the wheels fall off....

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#42]
As for the points made in the articles posted by OP, sometimes, experience is what counts.  Like leadership experience.

Fresh ideas are cool, but "big idea" people need to be tempered by experience.

Ideas are overrated, execution is where it's at in my experience.

(from someone whose held leadership positions since 1994).

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#43]
This book about her sounds good.  This excerpt from the NYT article made me laugh:

At F.Y.I.s, Mayer liked to tell employees that she believed in taking risks and that she was unafraid to admit failure. This philosophy worked well for web products but not for strategic hires. Despite the board’s urging, Mayer opted against vetting Henrique de Castro. As a result, she was unaware that de Castro had a poor reputation among his colleagues in Google’s advertising business. Many had derisively called him the Most Interesting Man in the World, in reference to the satirically fatuous spokesman for Dos Equis beer.

De Castro had a tendency to make grand, awkwardly worded pronouncements. He was the inspiration for the Twitter handle @HdCYouKnowMe, which posted tweets that straddled the line between reality and parody: "To incentivize the sales force, you need to hit them with the carrot” and "Product is like snakes .?.?. slippery — we need someone with a big hammer.” De Castro’s new Yahoo colleagues got a full dose of his strange locution at the company’s annual sales meeting, in early 2013, when he berated his sales force with a rangy, pedantic speech. (De Castro did not respond to requests for comment.)

Within a year, Mayer had personally taken control of Yahoo’s ad team. De Castro would leave the company in January 2014. For about 15 months of work, he would be paid $109 million.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use for a garbage throwaway email address.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

As for employees getting mad because bad employees were held accoutable...well it sounds like the firings haven't gone far enough.  There are plenty of IT good people who would love to work there.  Fire those who aren't pulling their weight.
View Quote
It is the way she did it.  They had a strict curve.  So if you had a good department where everyone was pulling their weight somebody got a 5 and somebody got a 1.  She just reeks of someone who is not good with people.  And that is pretty much all a CEO does, is manage people.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Libtard, pass.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I thought the title was Marisa Miller the Harley Davidson Super Model, this was a terrible let down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top