Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 2:36:20 PM EDT
I quit smoking a little over a year ago  Shortly after I started getting heartburn. Tried Tums and Rolaids for a while then started taking Prilosec otc. Prilosec worked great, but it took a while for side effects to show up. I had a constantly runny nose all my joints ached and just felt tired. This went on for about 3 months.  Turns out I stopped the prilosec and my nose stopped running in about 3 days and about 2 weeks later my joints started feeling better. I tried the Honey and cinnamon with lemon. Tried other OTC meds. I am only about 15 or 20 lbs on the heavy side. I am pretty much back to my pre quit smoking weight. I plan on going to a Gastro Dr. But wondering if anyone has some good natural cures?
I am not sure if it was worse to smoke or take some of these OTC medicines.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Gaviscon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Baking soda in water kills heartburn immediately once I get it but when I was taking protonix as prescribed I never got heartburn.  For long term management eat healthy natural foods and avoid the ones you know will trigger heartburn.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Apple Cider Vinegar helps a ton. Tbsp in a small glass of water. Give it a try. Also good for blood pressure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Peppermint tea is a good natural remedy.

Good old-fashioned baking soda is a great instant fix but I would use it sparingly.

As far as medications go, I much prefer H2 blockers like Zantac over PPIs. They are much cheaper and were for me at least as effective. The only downside is you don't get the once per day dosing like you get with PPIs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Zantac
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually swig a shot of baking soda and water (arm and hammer) or do a table spoon of basalmic vinegar. Instant relief. The vinegar is healthier but its difficult to do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I usually swig a shot of baking soda and water (arm and hammer) or do a table spoon of basalmic vinegar. Instant relief. The vinegar is healthier but its difficult to do.
View Quote

Thank you for the replies. I have some new things to try.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Apple Cider Vinegar helps a ton. Tbsp in a small glass of water. Give it a try. Also good for blood pressure.
View Quote

Seriously, here's your answer.

I use a tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar in a small bottle of Poland Springs every night.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I use to get horrible heartburn

regularly drinking water with lemon got it to go away, changing my diet kept it away

it has to do with adding just enough acid for your body to increase it's natural ways to deal with it

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used Prilosec everyday for probably 5 years now. Works great and I don't have your side effects.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
candied ginger works wonders. i also bought a concoction of apple cider vinegar/ginger juice from a local health food store, that is probably the most disgusting thing i've ever tasted. but it works as well
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
prilosec made me bloat and was so painful. got switched to protonix (pantoprazole). works like a champ
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Pickle juice
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gaviscon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow total retard answers. Peppermint.lol

First do you really have heartburn did you get a egd?

Did you try non med rx

Lose weight. Yes you are fat. All gerd pt are.
No alcohol, nicotine, caffiene, chocolate, mints.
No eating 6 hours before bed.
Raise head of bed

Pepcid or zantac are h2 blockers and will not work as well as a ppi which is what prilosec is.

Talk to your doc about changing your med
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Zantac
View Quote
Yep, this stuff works great quickly (as in 30 minutes).

But you still need to find out what's causing it...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pickle juice
View Quote

Came to post this.  Plus- delicious!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your suggestion is to drink acid?  Ugh.z

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Generic Zantac 150 twice a day nails it for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Generic Zantac 150 twice a day nails it for me.
View Quote
Good Lord!

While I agree that Zantac is good stuff for occasional use - you really need to find out why you need 150's TWICE a day....

Something is wrong, you need to figure it out before we lament the loss of another arfcom member.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
You lose those 15-20lbs, I'll bet you won't need to rely on any of these remedies.  Your heartburn will probably go away.  Medications are for pussies and fat people.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Kill a chicken and smear its blood on your front door.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You lose those 15-20lbs, I'll bet you won't need to rely on any of these remedies.  Your heartburn will probably go away.  Medications are for pussies and fat people.

View Quote

some of us inherited gerd from their parents. weight certainly doesnt play into my issue
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#24]
big bowl of chili with beans.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was gonna say this in a nicer way. Hell I don't even have to be overweight, just a bit out of shape and I get it bad.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

some of us inherited gerd from their parents. weight certainly doesnt play into my issue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's exceptions to every rule.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I quit smoking a little over a year ago  Shortly after I started getting heartburn. Tried Tums and Rolaids for a while then started taking Prilosec otc. Prilosec worked great, but it took a while for side effects to show up. I had a constantly runny nose all my joints ached and just felt tired. This went on for about 3 months.  Turns out I stopped the prilosec and my nose stopped running in about 3 days and about 2 weeks later my joints started feeling better. I tried the Honey and cinnamon with lemon. Tried other OTC meds. I am only about 15 or 20 lbs on the heavy side. I am pretty much back to my pre quit smoking weight. I plan on going to a Gastro Dr. But wondering if anyone has some good natural cures?
I am not sure if it was worse to smoke or take some of these OTC medicines.
View Quote

Change your diet. Cut out the fatty foods.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I swear, that would melt a hole through my body into the floor.

Taking a pill once a day is not the answer.

I occasionally take Zantac because anything with tomato will make my day miserable.

Obviously weight, if that's an issue of yours.
Then watching what you eat and how much you eat.

I read a good article on how over eating can cause it because your stomach wont be able to produce enough acid. Making it weak and diluted.
Which causes may other digestive issues.

Try eating smaller, more often. Drink plenty of water and see how your body reacts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Tried 'em all ...... settled on Zantac, works every time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:52:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow total retard answers. Peppermint.lol

First do you really have heartburn did you get a egd?

Did you try non med rx

Lose weight. Yes you are fat. All gerd pt are.
No alcohol, nicotine, caffiene, chocolate, mints.
No eating 6 hours before bed.
Raise head of bed

Pepcid or zantac are h2 blockers and will not work as well as a ppi which is what prilosec is.

Talk to your doc about changing your med
View Quote

No they're not.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was gonna say this in a nicer way. Hell I don't even have to be overweight, just a bit out of shape and I get it bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, kinda dickish, I guess.  But it's true, and you're spot on; A few pounds can make the difference.

I can be a dick about it, because I was there.  Had a big bottle of Tums on my night stand and needed 2-3 every night.  Lost a few pounds, and boom, no more heartburn.  If OP is only 15-20 overweight, that's an easily attainable goal to lose, and probably not need any meds in the future.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also wonder how adding acid helps with too much acid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I tried all the OTCs.    Ended up with

omeprazole

One a day.       Works great.   No side effects for me

Skip the pepperoni  pizza
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Fix the problem that is causing the heartburn.

You are treating the symptom. Belching up acid is a sure sign that something is seariously wrong with your health.
Lose that 20 pounds of blubber and stop eating junk food.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Nexium works better than Prilosec - do the 14 day treatment and you will feel better. It worked really well for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Working on it. I have lost 10# in the past 2 months. But since I quit smoking food tasted so good . Now I have learned to moderate food and have been taking martial arts and other exercise. I do want to get to 165 or 170 that seems to be a good weight for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Kill a chicken and smear its blood on your front door.

View Quote

LOL There have been some days I would have tried it if someone told me it would work.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yep, this stuff works great quickly (as in 30 minutes).   But you still need to find out what's causing it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Zantac
Yep, this stuff works great quickly (as in 30 minutes).   But you still need to find out what's causing it...

Working on getting a Dr appointment. Trying to get good references.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I occasionally take Zantac because anything with tomato will make my day miserable.

I read a good article on how over eating can cause it because your stomach wont be able to produce enough acid. Making it weak and diluted.

Try eating smaller, more often. Drink plenty of water and see how your body reacts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to get better at this as well. Another problem I have been working on is chewing my food better when I remember. I have always been a fast eater. Hard to change.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, kinda dickish, I guess.  But it's true, and you're spot on; A few pounds can make the difference.

I can be a dick about it, because I was there.  Had a big bottle of Tums on my night stand and needed 2-3 every night.  Lost a few pounds, and boom, no more heartburn.  If OP is only 15-20 overweight, that's an easily attainable goal to lose, and probably not need any meds in the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're good I have no feelings to injure. Old school I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top