Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:24 AM EDT
So I've had my CCW license for almost 5 years now and never carry. I've made a resolution for 2015 that I want to start carrying more often (basically whenever I can). I bought a S&W M&P Shield 9mm (no thumb safety) yesterday and now I need a holster. What do you guys recommend? I thinking IWB carry since its the most discreet. Do you guys have any other tips? I'm short (about 5.55 ft) and overweight (~185lbs; goal #2 for 2015 is to start working out again and lose the belly fat). What help do you guys got to help me hit my CCW goal?

Edit: for what its worth I have carried my S&W M&P Compact and Full Size 9mm a few times in a Crossbreed Supertuck so I'm familiar with that IWB holster. I also have Raven Concealment holsters for both as well to carry OWB.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
IWB holster from reputable manufacturer like Raven Concealment or Bravo Concealment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Crossbreed for IWB carry with the Shield.  You picked a very good cow piece IMO.

You need to force yourself to carry every single day for 30 days.  Do it, no matter what, for 30 whole days to try to make it a habit.

I would wager <50% of people who have a permit/license to carry, actually carry a gun.  Carry it.  Train with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you get, make sure it's kydex and IWB

I've had good experiences with the user "goodmedicine" on this site.  His work is top notch but his customer service is supurb and his prices reasonable.

I'd suggest loops over hooks (more secure), and you probably know, a good belt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read many good reviews on Alien Gear holsters too.  Their design is much like the Crossbreed, but less expensive.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/s-w-m-p-shield-9mm.html
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Sig P938 that spends most of its time in a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster and I keep a spare mag in the other pocket in a superfly holder.

http://www.desantisholster.com/SUPER-FLY

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out remora. They are a grippy nylon so no need for clips.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
JM Custom kydex.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Sig P938 that spends most of its time in a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster and I keep a spare mag in the other pocket in a superfly holder.

http://www.desantisholster.com/SUPER-FLY

View Quote

I carry a G19 in a DeSantis as well. I like it so far.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've read many good reviews on Alien Gear holsters too.  Their design is much like the Crossbreed, but less expensive.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/s-w-m-p-shield-9mm.html
View Quote

I'm looking at the Alien for a Glock 26. Pretty inexpensive holster.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The answer to this question is : G19 and an Mtac.  You all ready ruined that with the M&P so I got nothing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If your looking at alien gear definitely get crossbreed. They were the original hybrid and are excellent quality. If the price is too steep you can order from their seconds website. I bought a seconds belt and holster the other day and they both looked brand new, I did more scuffing the first time I put it on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
PPS is somewhat like your Shield

SHTFgear ACE-1

ACE-1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Crossbreed Supertuck
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the feel of leather. Tim Turner's "Mikes Special" IWB is my fave.

Carry my PPS comfortably and the litlle extra cant makes sure it disappears.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
The reason I started carrying everyday was because I bought a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe and wanted to break it in... I started wearing it to work on January 1, 2011... I wanted to wear it for a few weeks, but that turned into a few months and eventually a lifestyle. Just wear it...

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Crossbreed supertuck. Do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The answer to this question is : G19 and an Mtac.  You all ready ruined that with the M&P so I got nothing.
View Quote

Yeah, more concealability is fucking gay.

No-one has ever asked for a single stack 9mm Glock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a big fan of Raven Concealment OWB holsters.  Its my go to holster for my Shield.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Crossbread super tuck and Comptec Minotar for separate guns, I like the Minotar a bit more as I think it's a little more comfortable plus you can swap out shells to accomidate different pistols. There's at least a dozen similar holsters out there and I think all of them are pretty much GTG. CCW isn't hard and can be quite comfortable without having to "dress for it." A really good belt should be the first step...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I've had my CCW license for almost 5 years now and never carry. I've made a resolution for 2015 that I want to start carrying more often (basically whenever I can). I bought a S&W M&P Shield 9mm (no thumb safety) yesterday and now I need a holster. What do you guys recommend? I thinking IWB carry since its the most discreet. Do you guys have any other tips? I'm short (about 5.55 ft) and overweight (~185lbs; goal #2 for 2015 is to start working out again and lose the belly fat). What help do you guys got to help me hit my CCW goal?

Edit: for what its worth I have carried my S&W M&P Compact and Full Size 9mm a few times in a Crossbreed Supertuck so I'm familiar with that IWB holster. I also have Raven Concealment holsters for both as well to carry OWB.
View Quote

You sound like me, except I had Vinny advise me that the PPS is good German stuff. Alien Gear holster. Stealth Gear is the next step up, especially in warmer climates; got one for my P99c.......http://stealthgearusa.com
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't forget the basics. Make sure you have a good gun belt and not something flimsy from a department store. You may also want to buy pants with a waist size up one from what you would normally wear if you carry IWB.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks all for the suggestions!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top