Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 11:52:23 PM EDT

Regardless of what this thread lead you to believe.

Above is the article.  It overblows how often most departments use the Fed seizure process.  No one in my department did in my 17 years in LE.

Most departments use State seizure laws.  Not the Fed ones.  When the Feds make a seizure they almost always have the help of local agencies.  They always gave up some of the loot to the locals.

All Holder did is say the Feds are going to keep ALL the loot regardless of any help from local agencies.

The end result will be almost no change in the amount of seizures taking place.

In any event he did NOT make it where the .gov can't take your shit and he in NO WAY did anything positive with this action.  At best it is neutral.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Well DUH!

Everything is smoke & mirrors with these assholes.  There's no way they'd do anything that actually reined in the power of the almighty gov.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
carpe el shitto
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I knew it.  OP, better hand over that duffle bag.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone who believed that is not bright.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Citation needed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought this practice was greatly reduced a few years ago due to law suits... Big one was an USAF guy who had rented out a house for several years and had it seized because some rentor was growing pot in it without his knowledge.  Took years, but he won.  Seizure without conviction is absolutely un-American!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
All Holder did is say the Feds are going to keep ALL the loot regardless of any help from local agencies.
View Quote

okay, so if the Fed's cut out the middle man (city county state) and no longer giving a cut of the prize money then the locals will be less inclined to involve the Fed's in their cases and without Federal help the locals are much weaker and less inclined to rob and steal from people ..
I still see it as a win but if you do something to involve the FBI DEA or ATF, you're pretty much fucked either way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have a citation or is this your interpretation of what was said?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought this practice was greatly reduced a few years ago due to law suits... Big one was an USAF guy who had rented out a house for several years and had it seized because some rentor was growing pot in it without his knowledge.  Took years, but he won.  Seizure without conviction is absolutely un-American!
View Quote

Not particularly reduced at all.

In some states where they've passed legislation to stop it, agencies simply keep on doing it and tell them to fuck off.

Forfeiture is bullshit, but what I want to know is why the administration is so gung-ho to fuck over non-federal law enforcement all of the sudden.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Forfeiture is bullshit, but what I want to know is why the administration is so gung-ho to fuck over non-federal law enforcement all of the sudden.
View Quote

Hint: Their not doing it for the children..

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

okay, so if the Fed's cut out the middle man (city county state) and no longer giving a cut of the prize money then the locals will be less inclined to involve the Fed's in their cases and without Federal help the locals are much weaker and less inclined to rob and steal from people ..

I still see it as a win but if you do something to involve the FBI DEA or ATF, you're pretty much fucked either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The vast majority take place under state law.  Holder changed almost nothing.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do you have a citation or is this your interpretation of what was said?
View Quote
Read the article.  not opinion, but I just added facts to the poorly written article.

Do you for some reason think Holder would actually reduce the power of .gov?

Or do you think a reporter would write an article the looks like Holder is doing something "for the people"?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

because fed gov is broke and scraping for money anywhere they can find it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And the fact they hate state's rights and want to centralize everything.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would losing one case and merely having to give the money back deter them from trying the same thing again?  Did anyone personally lose money?  Did any of the cops end up in jail?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because their trying to federalize local/state law enforcement agency's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#18]
If I was running a state or local law enforcement agency I would not help the Feds at all. They don't enforce imagination, then they can forget it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Ha.... no I don't think you know much about the topic you're on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I was running a state or local law enforcement agency I would not help the Feds at all. They don't enforce imagination, then they can forget it.
View Quote

There are plenty of chiefs that will sell their soul for 80% of a big pile of cash they otherwise couldn't touch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There are plenty of chiefs that will sell their soul for 80% of a big pile of cash they otherwise couldn't touch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Most.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most.  
Doesn't take a lot of  imagination to figure that one out.

Civil forfeiture is bullshit without due process.

And neglect /selective enforcement of federal laws to suit political gain/purposes is criminal.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
How else are you supposed to get new police boats?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well DUH!

Everything is smoke & mirrors with these assholes.  There's no way they'd do anything that actually reined in the power of the almighty gov.
View Quote

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top