Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 11:30:42 PM EDT
My dad, myself, and my brother all drive 7.3l Powerstrokes.

I use 4 gallons straight Rotella T 15W40.

My dad uses 3 gallons of Rotella T 15W40 and 1 gallon of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

The truck world (have been reading various forums, thedieselplace, bobistheoilguy, powerstroke.org, powerstroke.com, oilburners, etc) seems to be split right down the middle and I am having a hard time finding definitive answers.

What is the superior lubricant set up in a HEUI injected engine and more importantly, why?

ETA- I am looking for a study or something that has measurable data that proves or disproves the usefulness of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Never used it myself mainly because my mechanic, who is a long time ford dealer diesel guy, says the stuff is terrible  and really screwed his numbers from Blackstone up when he used it. He also isn't a fan of rotella in his PSD, and I can say that my consumption rate goes way up in my IDI with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
How long has your dad been using the additive?  

How many miles on his engine?  How much oil is it using, especially vs. your truck?  

What kind of use?  Lots of heavy towing?  Straight highway, jobsite, combination?

How frequently do you, and he, change oil?  

What kind of oil coolers, if any, do you run?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
We use a fuel additive in our diesel fleet vehicles, but not oil. I don't think a quality oil should need extra additives.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Rotella is as cheap and low grade as it gets.  That's why diesel owners and fleets buy it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Gear oil is for gears, not HEUI engines.  Rotella is a benchmark in diesel oil. OEM oil engineering experiance speaking here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gear oil is for gears, not HEUI engines.  Rotella is a benchmark in diesel oil. OEM oil engineering experiance speaking here.
View Quote

You lost me.  

Who is talking about gear oil?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...I don't think a quality oil should need extra additives.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rotella is as cheap and low grade as it gets.  That's why diesel owners and fleets buy it.
View Quote

No the T^ syn rotella is one of the best oils for diesels.

I use Amsoil for cars and trucks and motorex for the KTM.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#10]
If you really wish to know, get ahold of Blackstone and have them do a UOA.

10 bucks says he's pissing away good money on the additive, and would be better off with straight Rotella or Dello.

Both have been around for forever and a day, used damn hard in the absolute worst conditions, and are still the Std. for a reason.
There are a LOT of tractors that have racked up 3-4k hours of hard use on nothing but Rotella, in dusty as shit conditions, and worse than anything a truck will see.

The UOA will prove it one way or the other, and is cheap.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dad, myself, and my brother all drive 7.3l Powerstrokes.

I use 4 gallons straight Rotella T 15W40.

My dad uses 3 gallons of Rotella T 15W40 and 1 gallon of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

The truck world (have been reading various forums, thedieselplace, bobistheoilguy, powerstroke.org, powerstroke.com, oilburners, etc) seems to be split right down the middle and I am having a hard time finding definitive answers.

What is the superior lubricant set up in a HEUI injected engine and more importantly, why?

ETA- I am looking for a study or something that has measurable data that proves or disproves the usefulness of Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
View Quote

I also run 3 gal Rotella to 1 gal Lucas oil stabilizer. I run 10k miles on my work diesel between changes. At the end of 10k miles, I can still feel the "slipperyness" in the oil. No additive it feels gritty and broke down. I don't have any study results other than the way the old oil feels on my fingers. Take that for what it's worth.

With the oils being changed due to emission crap, It makes me feel better running an additive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You lost me.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You lost me.  

Lucas "oil stabilizer".  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Do a used oil analysis.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#14]
And as far as fleets running oil stabilizer, the fleets I know get rid of the trucks when the engine warranty is over. Engine manufactures tell you what the minimum is needed to get it past warranty, after that they could care less.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lucas "oil stabilizer".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You lost me.  

Lucas "oil stabilizer".  

Lucas = gear oil?  

News to me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Heui engines need to use a oil that meets spec and most importantly, its needs to be changed before it degrades. Additives are not needed with a quality oil, the oil manufactures go to great length to blend their oils.

Cat does not recommend any additives and some will actually void the warranty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I can ask the guys in our oil lab at work on Monday if they see any difference if its used or not, I know that I have sent them a bunch of samples of oil with it being used in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I ran 1 gallon of Lucas and 10 gallons of Rotella in my Diesel engines for years.
I averaged a little longer between rebuilds then other persons I knew running similar engines in similar duty cycles.
Not saying it works for everyone but it did for me. It made the Cats carry about five extra pounds of oil pressure, Cummins the oil pressure came to max sooner, and detroits carried about 7-10 more pounds and used less oil between changes.
I think 25% mix is too high.
YMMV

Edit: friggin autoincorrect
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#19]
No oil additives in my 7.3 here, just 4 gallons of Rotella T6.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#20]
The engineers that designed the engine are pretty smart fellers.  If they specified 15W40, then run 15W40.  If the wanted it to use 25% oil stabilizer they would specify it in the manual.  I love it when guys try all these "tricks" vs just following factory recommended practice.

And lol to the guy that said his oil still felt "slippery" at the oil change.  Wow!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many  years ago,long before synthetic oils became the rage,I had a friend who ran the turbo lab at Cummins.They used ONLY Rotella for turbo lubrication.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Many  years ago,long before synthetic oils became the rage,I had a friend who ran the turbo lab at Cummins.They used ONLY Rotella for turbo lubrication.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.  Rotella T or Cummins Premium Blue are all a diesel owner needs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Not diesel here, but I found the Lucas synthetic stabilizer to be good stuff, and the real deal, on high revving gas engines I've owned in the past.

My current love now is LiquiMoly MOS2, but I'm not certain if it's something you want to use in a diesel.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How many miles on his engine?  How much oil is it using, especially vs. your truck?  

What kind of use?  Lots of heavy towing?  Straight highway, jobsite, combination?

View Quote

His engine has 140k, mine is all stock at 193k. Mine sees mostly city/highway and if I am lucky dirt roads. His probably sees similar. No towing on my end, infrequent towing for my dad. When he does tow its either a camper or a 16 foot trailer with lumber or other loads that are relatively light but other wise too long or awkward to fit in the bed.

I change roughly every 5k. I think he changes at 3k.

Neither engine has an aftermarket cooler.

I am of the belief that a 2 micron bypass filter with good oil would be a better investment than a gallon of lucas every oil change.

ETA- Not sure on my dad's consumption, but I am usually about a quart or less low when I refill my oil bottles. And I fill them fuller than they come.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Bump for day folks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You lost me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You lost me.  

Ever seen the Lucas demo thing most places that sell the stuff have at the counter?  Bunch of gears in a clear plastic case with a crank on one of the gears and the bottom gear sitting a bath of Lucas.  There's another side exactly the same except the bottom gear is sitting in a thin oil.

You're encouraged to turn the cranks and will see that the thin oil runs off the gears while the Lucas side will have the stuff dragged up to the top gear, proving that Lucas is better lubricating.  You're not encouraged to notice that turning the crank on the Lucas is seriously harder than turning the crank with the thinner oil.

That difference also takes place in your engine, taking more horsepower to pump the heavier lube through the engine than with the lighter motor oil specified by the engine manufacturer.  It's analogous to running gear oil and an engine instead of motor oil.  Hence the gear oil remark.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ever seen the Lucas demo thing most places that sell the stuff have at the counter?  Bunch of gears in a clear plastic case with a crank on one of the gears and the bottom gear sitting a bath of Lucas.  There's another side exactly the same except the bottom gear is sitting in a thin oil.

You're encouraged to turn the cranks and will see that the thin oil runs off the gears while the Lucas side will have the stuff dragged up to the top gear, proving that Lucas is better lubricating.  You're not encouraged to notice that turning the crank on the Lucas is seriously harder than turning the crank with the thinner oil.

That difference also takes place in your engine, taking more horsepower to pump the heavier lube through the engine than with the lighter motor oil specified by the engine manufacturer.  It's analogous to running gear oil and an engine instead of motor oil.  Hence the gear oil remark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You lost me.  

But we don't know the oil/additive ratio in the display. It may be many times greater than people actually run simply to make it easier to see the oil "cling" to the gears like it does.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Modern name brand oil is pretty dang good stuff. I quit with the additives 2 decades ago.

Heck, I run the heck out of my work vehicle, it is always loaded close to chassis [3500] capacity. 8K oil changes, 9300 hours on the meter and 175 K on the odo. Doesn't use a drop of oil. That is just plain dino oil, not even synthetic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

His engine has 140k, mine is all stock at 193k. Mine sees mostly city/highway and if I am lucky dirt roads. His probably sees similar. No towing on my end, infrequent towing for my dad. When he does tow its either a camper or a 16 foot trailer with lumber or other loads that are relatively light but other wise too long or awkward to fit in the bed.

I am of the belief that a 2 micron bypass filter with good oil would be a better investment than a gallon of lucas every oil change.

ETA- Not sure on my dad's consumption, but I am usually about a quart or less low when I refill my oil bottles. And I fill them fuller than they come.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The by pass filter wold be a mutch better investment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys change your oil too frequently, especially your dad.   Send a sample to Blackstone at your next change and see hiw much life it had left.   They can also analyze the oil and tell you how each of your engines are wearing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top