Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:11:58 PM EDT
What do you guys use? I have always gone to h&r block but I pay 250-300$ and I do know that no matter who does your taxes, you should be held liable for same amount of done correctly. So, I'm thinking about using a diy tax service. I don't need a middle man to help me in case of audit as I don't cheat and even if you do then their help is not needed anyway. I do itemize tithe, real estate tax etc but that should be an option with diy services. So...any suggesstions?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Try TurboTax. You can always go back to Block if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
As a tax professional I suggest you do what's gonna get you the biggest refund. If you don't have a lot of right offs then turbo tax may be the way to go. Either way, you'll still have to pay fees to process/efile your taxes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a tax pro..but I don't have to file this year.......only income was the AK PFD.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a tax professional I suggest you do what's gonna get you the biggest refund. If you don't have a lot of right offs then turbo tax may be the way to go. Either way, you'll still have to pay fees to process/efile your taxes.
View Quote

Thank goodness you weren't an English professional.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use a tax pro..but I don't have to file this year.......only income was the AK PFD.....
View Quote

Just FYI, just because you didn't have income doesn't mean you can't get a refund.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just FYI, just because you didn't have income doesn't mean you can't get a refund.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know..but tax guy already ran the numbers..he said..zero either way....I am gov.'s least favorite type..white,old, worked all my life
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know..but tax guy already ran the numbers..he said..zero either way....I am gov.'s least favorite type..white,old, worked all my life
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No dependents?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I use my uncle who does that kinda stuff. I may venture out and do myself this year, I always feel like he isn't aggressive enough to get me back my full amount back without getting audited
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#10]
i use turbo tax, but I'm a single renter with one full time job, so it's pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No dependents?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No dependents?

no..son is 22 daughter is 20..
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I use TaxAct.  OP, any reason you use/pay a tax center?  It doesn't really matter if you do it or if they prepare your taxes as your signature is on the bottom line and will be the target of any audits down the line.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i use turbo tax, but I'm a single renter with one full time job, so it's pretty straight forward.
View Quote

Were you a student during 2014? Any unreimbursed job expenses? Did you have to pay State taxes on your 2013 return? Did you have any out-pocket medical/dental expenses? Did you give money or items to charity?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No dependents?

Do they still live with you or are they full time students? Just FYI, you may still be able to claim them as dependents even at that age.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Were you a student during 2014? Any unreimbursed job expenses? Did you have to pay State taxes on your 2013 return? Did you have any out-pocket medical/dental expenses? Did you give money or items to charity?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any tips on how far someone can safely push the unreimbursed job expenses?  I do computer work, my company contracts me out to work at other places, and they don't provide me anything job related.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Any tips on how far someone can safely push the unreimbursed job expenses?  I do computer work, my company contracts me out to work at other places, and they don't provide me anything job related.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you use your own vehicle to go to these other places? What things (job related) do you have to pay for when you go on a contract call?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you an employee or 1099 contractor?

If you added up all your claimed deductions, would they exceed the standard deduction that everyone gets?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you use your own vehicle to go to these other places?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't itemize anything.  I don't know if the risk is worth it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

risk? You should do your taxes both ways (itemized/standard deductions) to see what gives you the bigger refund.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do they still live with you or are they full time students? Just FYI, you may still be able to claim them as dependents even at that age.
View Quote

no...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do you use your own vehicle to go to these other places? What things (job related) do you have to pay for when you go on a contract call?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use my vehicle to go to every client.  The company pays mileage based on mileage to the job minus mileage to their office.  Since I live an hour away from their office they consider my primary customer my office location and pay no mileage unless I drive somewhere further than my primary customer.

This September they will finally give me a $1,000 allowance to buy a laptop.  Otherwise I buy the equipment myself and use my personal cellphone's data plan when I need a hotspot for work related stuff.  I also do some remote work and after hours work from home.  I've claimed part of my house as an office for those purposes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you added up all your claimed deductions, would they exceed the standard deduction that everyone gets?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Employee.  I itemize and far exceed the standard deduction every year.  I've run some general numbers on what would happen if I requested to be paid by 1099 and it looks like I would get slightly more back.  However it is not enough to justify all the documentation, paperwork, and quarterly tax payments.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Were you a student during 2014? no
Any unreimbursed job expenses? no
Did you have to pay State taxes on your 2013 return?  no
Did you have any out-pocket medical/dental expenses?  no
Did you give money or items to charity? just small amounts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you a student during 2014? no
Any unreimbursed job expenses? no
Did you have to pay State taxes on your 2013 return?  no
Did you have any out-pocket medical/dental expenses?  no
Did you give money or items to charity? just small amounts.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

risk? You should do your taxes both ways (itemized/standard deductions) to see what gives you the bigger refund.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.  I assume itemizing/deductions places you higher on the list of a "random" audit.  :/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top