Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 7:14:41 PM EDT
Signed up for a free trial. 5 hours later, I've gone back to my 7th great grandfather on my mother's side.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Ugg...my wife hangs out on ancestory.com pretty much all day. Even pays for the membership.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ugg...my wife hangs out on ancestory.com pretty much all day. Even pays for the membership.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
My uncle is big into genealogy.  He came over to my dads house in a panic one Sunday morning.  He had traced out heritage back so far, then apparently our name just disappears.  He was freaking out telling my dad he didnt think we were "last name" and wasn't sure who we were .  My dad looked at him and without missing a beat said "Uncle Dukefan23" you need to go home and get fucking laid .
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Shhhhh, but there's a data sharing agreement between ancestry.com and familysearch.org.

One is subscription based and one is free.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet the West Virginia data gets complicated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't really care ,

if I didn't know them
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Compared to Her Majesty's Prison Service records sure, lol. eh mate?

j/k

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My Mothers side I am back to 1095AD.

Most others back to 16th-17th Century.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I did the free trial thing a couple or three years ago.
Traced it back on my dads side to the Scottish highlands.

On my moms side I went back to about the 1400's or so.

I think I'm French royalty so bow before me you fucking peons.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems it would be easier, shorter lines to have to draw.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I traced myself back to 10,000 B.C. neanderthals
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#12]
One thing to remember is that a lot of what is on ancestry (trees) is what others have submitted-mistakes and all.  Use that kind of information as unproven clues, not facts until you have verified them.  On the other hand, the copies of scanned documents and forms can be quite useful.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One thing to remember is that a lot of what is on ancestry (trees) is what others have submitted-mistakes and all.  Use that kind of information as unproven clues, not facts until you have verified them.  On the other hand, the copies of scanned documents and forms can be quite useful.
View Quote

Yeah I have looked at some of the related trees but not added them.

I'm trying to go with info I either already know (names, birth dates, spouses, etc.) or scanned documents. Birth records and census data are pretty good.

Gets questionable (but still interesting) when the best I can find is a scanned book written in the 1800's referencing names the author researched.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
My mother is into the genealogy thing pretty bad. She's traced my father's side back to some time in the 960s.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

j/k

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

j/k

We were all turkey basted in the visits area of the prison ships
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My mother is into the genealogy thing pretty bad. She's traced my father's side back to some time in the 960s.
View Quote

Don't tell your mother then that about 1 in 12 births attributed to a father aren't theirs anyhow and I reckon those figures gets bigger the further back you go.

The only thing im sure of is that people who has traced their trees back that far are almost mathematically certain to have false data.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I always wonder how many people think they found their great great great grandfather but in actuality their real great great great grandfather was a trist someone had with great great great grandma.

Eta: guess I should a read all the way down...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I always wonder how many people think they found their great great great grandfather but in actuality their real great great great grandfather was a trist someone had with great great great grandma.

Eta: guess I should a read all the way down...
View Quote

there are so many things that used to happen even in the last 300 years that its pretty certain your lineage is untraceable even in royal circles. Adoption being one where adopted kids took the family name, infidelity, societal pressures to keep shit under the rug, poor record keeping, so many with the same names, wiping records and photos for sex before marriage, war, incest, rape etc etc etc.

Its a joke to suggest that someone who traced their family back 1000 years has the correct data. Its a mathematical impossibility IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm related to Noah, true story
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't tell your mother then that about 1 in 12 births attributed to a father aren't theirs anyhow and I reckon those figures gets bigger the further back you go.

The only thing im sure of is that people who has traced their trees back that far are almost mathematically certain to have false data.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mommas baby, Daddys maybe. My uncle used to be big into geneology but it started getting so complicated with the ongoing family tree looking like a mutant in the last couple generations with all the divorces, steps, halfs, who's the daddys etc. etc. he said fuck it and found a new hobby that wasn't so depressing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A WV kid comes home from school and finds his sister in the lounge room.

He says- "Hey sis how about a root?".
She says- "No way"
He says- "come on no-one will know"
She says- "OK"

Bro and Sis go at in the bedroom and after

He says- "Gee Sis you are great root!, you are a better root than mum!"
She says- "Yeah that's what dad said"

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I found the handwritten census entry from 1940 that showed my paternal grandparents living with grandfather's widowed mother and his younger brother. That was kinda neat.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Isn't that a goldmine for identity theft?

I can think of 4 security questions I could defeat.  I prefer an invisible web footprint.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
So it's like facebook for dead people?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Isn't that a goldmine for identity theft?

I can think of 4 security questions I could defeat.  I prefer an invisible web footprint.
View Quote

I always get a chuckle out of the guys that say they want to keep a low internet footprint. Never do they have less than 15000 posts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Whither Genealogy?

At some point, we'll have much of the data tracked, traced, and assigned to the correct family/clan/haplogroup.

What then? When the dates are all figured out, and Momma's baby daddy is discovered?

Then we start to figure out *who* they were. What they did. How they lived, What their dreams were. Why they moved when and where they did. That stuff.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shhhhh, but there's a data sharing agreement between ancestry.com and familysearch.org.

View Quote

Family search hasn't found anyone in my family that I've searched for. Ancestry found them in seconds.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Like it's her job
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whither Genealogy?

At some point, we'll have much of the data tracked, traced, and assigned to the correct family/clan/haplogroup.

What then? When the dates are all figured out, and Momma's baby daddy is discovered?

Then we start to figure out *who* they were. What they did. How they lived, What their dreams were. Why they moved when and where they did. That stuff.
View Quote

Impossible to do without DNA samples.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#31]
My ex-wife is a descendent of a family that was part of the Massachusetts Bay colony. Tracing the way back we also discovered that an ancestral grandmother was accused of being a witch at Salem, but never prosecuted. They eventually gave her L9s for false imprisonment, but I think perhaps they may have missed on that one. She never thought it was funny.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

And what percentage of children are not fathered by their "fathers"?

Times how many generations?

LOL, I know someone who was BIG into geneology, for decades, and one simple blood test/DNA
made all the family tree/pedigree largely worthless
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL, I know someone who was BIG into geneology, for decades, and one simple blood test/DNA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any rational person can see that Ancestry.com only just tracks down all the BS our ancestors were told was also their family history.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try having roots in Arkansas.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont know anything about my family. I never met my dad, and my mom ran off before I was born.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Family search hasn't found anyone in my family that I've searched for. Ancestry found them in seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Family search is Mormon. LDS.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I dont know anything about my family.  My I never met my dad, and my mom ran off before I was born.

View Quote

You just escaped a huge pointless timesuck
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]
sight sucks       I went as far as the names I knew   It showed me that info,   then I have to add the names of people names I don't know .    hello
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#39]
My ancestor landed here  in 1635 at mass bay colony and went upriver to help found the town of haverhill, mass.  I have never been to mass myself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#40]
My ancestors founded Cleveland
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I know who my great grandparents were.  Don't give a flying fuck about anybody before that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My ex-wife is a descendent of a family that was part of the Massachusetts Bay colony. Tracing the way back we also discovered that an ancestral grandmother was accused of being a witch at Salem, but never prosecuted. They eventually gave her L9s for false imprisonment, but I think perhaps they may have missed on that one. She never thought it was funny.
View Quote

Any ancestors on Martha's Vineyard?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I know my great grandparents.  Don't give a flying fuck about anybody before that.
View Quote

How precious.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How precious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know my great grandparents.  Don't give a flying fuck about anybody before that.

How precious.

Dwelling on the past is a waste of time.  Can't change it.  I focus on the people I know and their futures...especially my children.   If you really care that your great great great great grandfather's 2nd cousin first removed was a potato farmer in Poland, good for you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top