Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:05:09 PM EDT
Looks like my wife's info got compromised. We caught it before anything really bad happened but I am pulling my hair out.
We are cautious and try to use cash etc but these days I guess it is what it is.

I am pretty ignorant to what is out there or what other steps I can take so any help or insight would be appreciated.
Also if Lifelock is GTG do you know if there are any NRA discounts
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
LL won't stop ID theft. It is just an early warning service.

First, do a AV, malwarebytes scan on your PC. if those scans come up clean you then open initial fraud alerts on your wife's credit files. All 3, experian, Equifax, and transunion. If you have spyware make sure you get rid of it all or do it over the phone. Online fraud alert requires you enter personal info.

Request a copy of wife's credit file when filling out fraud alerts.

Fill out ID theft report with local PD. Dispute any accounts that are not hers with the credit report agencies, but first call the businesses and let them know it was fraud.

Next, if her credit has been badly fubard request a credit freeze on all 3 reports. You'll need the PD report number so you don't have to pay for each freeze.

It would be wise to check out your own info too. Even place pre-emptive initial fraud alerts just to be safe.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top