Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 3:59:22 PM EDT
Just seeing if anyone took a pediatric first aid/CPR course prior to your child being born.  For those that did, did you find it helpful and were you glad you did it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
No, sometimes I wish I had. There are times my daughter scares the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My first was adopted. At the time, wehad our Foster lic, and needed First Aid and CPR certs to get it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
My sister just saved her toddler with the Heimlich maneuver. She succeeded in getting the obstruction out just as ems arrived. It's worth getting training.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, sometimes I wish I had. There are times my daughter scares the shit out of me.
View Quote

I spent over 8 years in medical training, and my kids still scare me sometimes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be worthwile to take a CPR Pro course, first Aid and EPI
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
When my first two were born I had no medical training.  16 years later I do.  Looking back I can honestly say when the time comes you will know what to do.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I started working for TDCJ a week after my first daughter/child was born. They taught us a lot of first aid and CPR. They told us they didn't give two shits if we ever used it on a convict, but we'd better take it seriously because it could save a loved one. They even taught child and infant CPR to us. I never forgot that training. I used it on my first daughter. She had just started solid foods(not pureed) and got something lodged, I can't even remember what it was. She was losing it quick. I yanked her out of her high chair, placed her body along my inner forearm with her face in my palm and started giving her shots to the back, just like I was trained. It worked. She blew whatever it was out into my palm and started crying. I didn't need to do CPR, but I stayed calm and acted. Get the training.

ETA: I just recertified since I took over as the intramural coordinator at the middle school where I work. I feel comfortable knowing that I at least know what to do if I need to do it. Hopefully, should I ever actually need it, I don't freeze.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When my first two were born I had no medical training.  16 years later I do.  Looking back I can honestly say when the time comes you will know what to do.
View Quote

I prefer not to bet life and limb on assuming an untrained person will suddenly know what to do.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Take it, you might save a life.  I've had to take care of a choking child several times.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
At least take a CPR/Obstructed airway class.
A first-aid/EMT course are good also.  Things will happen, panic is not useful when your kid is in distress.
It will help you recognize issues your child is dealing with...kids can fight illness/problems without giving indications.
Then their systems will crash rapidly if you don't what to look for

All the best
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was a EMT for 25 yrs.   The vast majority of people have no clue what to do or when to do it.   Get the training it never hurts and will help if needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I need that cert for work. It's a good class with lots of info. I've never used it in my years of child care but I definitely don't regret taking the class every 2 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My sister just saved her toddler with the Heimlich maneuver. She succeeded in getting the obstruction out just as ems arrived. It's worth getting training.

View Quote

ive had to back-slap both my kids to clear obstructions..  Goldfish both times..  

little fuckers..  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

looking back after having medical training you presume you would have automatically known what to do in the event one of your children chokes, respiratory arrest and cardiac arrest?

i know instincts are great and everything but you just don't magically shit out the right move at the right time ..  just b/c your a parent.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was a EMT for 25 yrs.   The vast majority of people have no clue what to do or when to do it.   Get the training it never hurts and will help if needed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've always thought an abridged version be given to both caregivers prior to hospital discharge was never a bad idea..   follow up with the whole versioned class shortly after
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes and yes
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Took one just 2 weeks ago and it is good info. They went into detail on kids and adults.

Take the class, its worth it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I had to take it due to my job, it's good stuff.
If you have a chance sign up at your local community college and take it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Just signed up for it.  It must be a popular course because there was only one spot left in a 50 mile radius.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I did not take it until I was grandpa.  Never used it, but I sleep better at night.  I think everybody that is physically capable should take First Aid/CPR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
A hands-on course is obviously better; if nothing else, you can buy the online version from Red Cross and watch it with your SO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I teach CPR.  In the last two years I've had five people I taught use it, including my own wife who used it on our child.  Its must have training.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
you are much better off taking a trainning course that you get 2 pe credits for that can help you save a life

you do not want your first exposure to CPR to be when a 911 dispatcher is trying to walk you through it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been a fireman for almost 18 years.  My kids still scare the shit out of me.  I can't imagine the feeling if I truly didn't know what to do.

Take it, and hopefully you'll never need it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
you are much better off taking a trainning course that you get 2 pe credits for that can help you save a life

you do not want your first exposure to CPR to be when a 911 dispatcher is trying to walk you through it.
View Quote

^This.

My wife and I were both certified.  I even taught Pediatric Advanced Life Support to my kids' pediatrician
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top