Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 2:58:25 PM EDT
1st off I fucking hate painting and I'm absolutely horrible at it.  That said, I need to paint an area about 10' x 18" of drywall in my laundry room.   I had to move the cabinets up for a new washer and dryer.   It's not primed, but is painted beige all the way around with noticeable ridges where the paint met the cabinets previously.   I have the paint that was used aBout 5 years ago to repaint the whole room. What do I need?  What is the process?   Taping? Sanding?  Primer?  I don't want to see a noticeable line between the old and new.  Help me before I screw it up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

1st off I fucking hate painting and I'm absolutely horrible at it.  That said, I need to paint an area about 10' x 18" of drywall in my laundry room.   I had to move the cabinets up for a new washer and dryer.   It's not primed, but is painted beige all the way around with noticeable ridges where the paint met the cabinets previously.   I have the paint that was used aBout 5 years ago to repaint the whole room. What do I need?  What is the process?   Taping? Sanding?  Primer?  I don't want to see a noticeable line between the old and new. Help me before I screw it up.
View Quote
seems hopeless to me.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Go get a 6 pack and tune into HGTV. Good luck. lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Scrape and sand the paint ridge, being careful not to sand through the paper on the drywall.

Skim coat the area (see the thread about this in the DIY section).

The ridge will be gone, but you will still see a difference between the repair area and the rest of the wall due to the difference in texture between the smooth skim coated area and the slightly textured painted area.

This can be toned down by sanding the entire wall prior to painting or skim coating the entire wall. 120 grit screen on a drywall sanding pad will make pretty quick work of the wall. You're just looking to knock off the high spots left by the roller.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
so, you don't know shit about shit and you want GD retards advice.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
seems hopeless to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st off I fucking hate painting and I'm absolutely horrible at it.  That said, I need to paint an area about 10' x 18" of drywall in my laundry room.   I had to move the cabinets up for a new washer and dryer.   It's not primed, but is painted beige all the way around with noticeable ridges where the paint met the cabinets previously.   I have the paint that was used aBout 5 years ago to repaint the whole room. What do I need?  What is the process?   Taping? Sanding?  Primer?  I don't want to see a noticeable line between the old and new. Help me before I screw it up.
seems hopeless to me.

Thats what I'm thinking lol.  I have zero patience for painting. ...that's the problem. Think I'll grab the M&P 9 and shoot some steel targets in the backyard till I get too cold instead. Oh, wait,  shooting isn't on the honey do list....fuuuuuckkkkkk.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Contrary to popular belief  (mine included ) I have actually gotten some sound advice in GD.  Crazy,  I know lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thats what I'm thinking lol.  I have zero patience for painting. ...that's the problem. Think I'll grab the M&P 9 and shoot some steel targets in the backyard till I get too cold instead. Oh, wait,  shooting isn't on the honey do list....fuuuuuckkkkkk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

seems hopeless to me.

shoot till you piss off the wife so bad she does it herself.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, skim it.

Use joint compound or light weight spackling using a 4" > blade

Never mind, most home owners will end up making it look even worse
Leave it alone
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have laid out rules that said things like I will NOT paint. She knows it, but it's bugging me that it's not done.  I think I'll send another few mags down range instead. .solid advice,  thank you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Put a picture up. You might not need to skim it. If you do, you almost certainly will make a mess.

Edit: I'm a house painter. Pm me for help, and include a picture, I don't usually check back on threads.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]
just use a putty knife to scrape off the paint line where it's built up and paint the whole wall again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Well,  the paint can that matches looks to have been left open a little bit.  It's fucked.   Time to call my painting guy.  Back to shooting!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Pics of the before are needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Sand it, skim it and then hit it with spray texture from a can. Do it all the time. No one will know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well,  the paint can that matches looks to have been left open a little bit.  It's fucked.   Time to call my painting guy.  Back to shooting!
View Quote
walmart has a section of paint that was custom mixed and either returned or the customer didn't like it. I head to that area first for the half off pricetag.,  I find paint colors that are similar. Then I get them mixed together in a 5 gallon pail and use this for painting utility rooms, my garage or basement.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn. Only if there was a website where anyone could upload videos of just about anything, including tutorials and how-to's!

I'm gonna be rich, bitch
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

See the post above yours.
Sometimes GD delivers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Just go rent a shotcrete rig and do it that way.

Definitely DIY.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sometimes GD delivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes GD delivers.

he must be your boyfriend.

I wouldn't do it that way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top