Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 2:08:59 PM EDT
But I'm going to have to put my daughter's dog to sleep.  Bone cancer was the tentative diagnosis if the antibiotics didn't work, and now Sweetie can't even get up.  The damn vet is closed until Monday. ..
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If needed, there are on call, house visit vets. Probably be much easier on Sweetie.

Sorry, OP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear op.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The only on call ones here are livestock vets, and they charge serious coin.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If needed, there are on call, house visit vets. Probably be much easier on Sweetie.

Sorry, OP.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Give her a great last meal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only on call ones here are livestock vets, and they charge serious coin.
View Quote

Hate to say it, but this may be one of those time you have to take care of things on your own. If the suffering is that bad, a bullet may be a blessing.

I'd be a snivelling, blabbering little bitch if I had to do it, I don't envy you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
How are you going to do the deed?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]
She seems comfortable right now, if she starts showing any major discomfort,  I'll take her over to my wife's uncle's place and use his .22.  The pet cemetery is there anyway...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
And yes, I'll be a blubbering little bitch if it comes to that...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Monday is a holiday, might have to wait til Tuesday
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
If she's comfortable, so be it.

Back when I had her, and she was going down, I had to sling my ridgeback out to piss, back when she was on her last legs. It was interesting though, as soon as she was supported (I used a thick towel under her belly, back towards the hind legs as far as possible, wrapped it around her and grabbed the loose ends with one hand), she was rarin' to go. Only let her put a couple of pounds of pressure on the ground, but she knew exactly what was going on. So we did a perimeter patrol of the back yard, up hill and down, over into the side yard...wherever she wanted to go. She did her business a few times, and then it was back onto her bed.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Back when I had her, and she was going down, I had to sling my ridgeback out to piss, back when she was on her last legs. It was interesting though, as soon as she was supported (I used a thick towel under her belly, back towards the hind legs as far as possible, wrapped it around her and grabbed the loose ends with one hand), she was rarin' to go. Only let her put a couple of pounds of pressure on the ground, but she knew exactly what was going on. So we did a perimeter patrol of the back yard, up hill and down, over into the side yard...wherever she wanted to go. She did her business a few times, and then it was back onto her bed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will try that.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry op.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]
bad day for dogs in TX.  one of the mom's on my daughter's basketball team texted me that they're in the same situation.

OP one of the members in the hometown forum is a vet and has helped with house calls for those in your siutation.  if you're in N Dallas. ...planovet, I think, is his screen name.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear op.
View Quote

Going thru that now. Wife's/  Daughters' dog went to sleep for the last time Thursday night.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for your situation. Maybe its something the antibiotics will help

Just curious, is the dog fixed? If so about what age was it done
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
 if she starts showing any major discomfort,  I'll take her over to my wife's uncle's place and use his .22.  The pet cemetery is there anyway...
View Quote

It's not fun but sometimes it's the best option.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to put a friends bird dog down once because he couldn't do it

We gave her a huge great last meal and grabbed our bird hunting gear and carried her to the truck and I swear she had a smile on her face, we got a bird and put it in her mouth and she layer down and then started to shudder and I grabbed a .22 pistol and put her out of her pain.
I had tears flowing down my face as I was doing it as she was a great dog and my friend had her for almost 15 years.

We buried her as the sun was setting on one of her favorite spots on the farm.

I really don't think I could do it again but I had to do it as my friend couldn't
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
A hamburger tonight, steak tomorrow and all the cheese or peanut butter snacks she wants between now and Monday.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I fed my cat full cans of cat food from the time I decided to put him down until he was put down.

Writeup here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry op..

That's rough
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry for your loss OP.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

She is fixed, done about 1 year old.  She's sleeping now, will probably not make it through the night. Baby Girl has gone back and forth from sitting with her and petting her to near tears.

Not near Dallas, we are west of ft worth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Found a 24 hour vet, there now waiting for the doc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Well she went quietly,  with a smile on her face.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well she went quietly,  with a smile on her face.
View Quote

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm sorry for your loss.  We will lose one of our Ridgebacks pretty soon too, though for now, he is hanging in there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Its a shitty deal to have to put down your own dog. Shitty deal indeed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn. Sorry op. That's rough.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

She is fixed, done about 1 year old.  She's sleeping now, will probably not make it through the night. Baby Girl has gone back and forth from sitting with her and petting her to near tears.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So sorry for your loss.

We lost our boy Bandit to Osteosarcoma. Its a bitch of a disease. He was only 6 years old

I was curious of age at being fixed. Bandit was fixed before he hit 1 year old. There is evidence that dogs fixed before a year old have a better chance of developing cancer.  Since we usually adopt rescues shelters want dogs fixed before they are adopted. I will fight it tooth and nail next time. Sorry for the hijack
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
But I'm going to have to put my daughter's dog to sleep.  Bone cancer was the tentative diagnosis if the antibiotics didn't work, and now Sweetie can't even get up.  The damn vet is closed until Monday. ..
View Quote

I've done it more than once.  

It's not easy.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top