Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 10:48:59 AM EDT
Long story short, SO wants to sand, strip, and restain some dressers. She thought thy were wood but they are particle board with a laminate on it.

Can you still sand and strip and restain that or will it look so shitty it isn't worth the effort?

Google says you can and it also says you can't so I wanted to consult the experts before I waste my Saturday.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You're going to go through a lot of work, and find out that she doesn't like the result.

Maybe one of these products and coat over that laminate:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/transformations/

I used their countertop product for a bathroom sink, and it is holding up very well.   The critical step is to sand/scuff the crap out of the laminate so the coating adheres completely.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't bother
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It all depends on if it has a wooden veneer and how thick it is.  I refinished a coffee table that I bought  at good will that had an 1/8th" wood veneer top on it.  You just have to be careful sanding it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
If its truly a wood veneer it is very thin.  Be very careful sanding it as you'll sand through it easily.

If its paper or vinyl/plastic - ick. I redid some cabinet doors once that were badly painted by a previous owner.   I ended up using a paint stripper / heat gun to strip the paint and melt off the film.  Then youre stuck with refinishing particle board.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of work  and it won't look good
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I think we are just going to get some wood ones at an estate sale or craigslist and match them to what we have.

Thanks for the replies. Got way more to do today than waste my time on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top