Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:16:44 AM EDT
Yeah, I know, it a gun thread in GD.  Shocking!

Anyway, I'm looking at buying a modern polymer handgun today, and am wondering what the hive's thoughts on magazine safeties.

Do you like them? Do you hate them? Are you in different?

Personally, I've always assumed they were unnecessary, and I have had 2 handguns with mag safeties, one which I disabled (because it was easy), one which I didn't because it was more difficult to remove and I didn't want to hamper reliability.

Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Indifferent.
Had a 3rd gen S&W.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Pointless.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pointless.
View Quote

And another thing to fail you when you need the firearm. Fuck mag safeties up the ass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And another thing to fail you when you need the firearm. Fuck mag safeties up the ass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pointless.

This.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
What are we talking about here? A situation where the gun is designed to not fire when the magazine is removed?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Indifferent.

Had a 3rd gen S&W.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd rather my firearms operate without a magazine if needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The fuck is a safty? Is it like a nipple pasty or something?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
They usually make the trigger suck, I've disabled them in firearms I own.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What are we talking about here? A situation where the gun is designed to not fire when the magazine is removed?
View Quote
Yes.

Personally I never could think of a scenario where I would need that feature.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Never watch breaking bad huh?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

No, GD is my entertainment.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. Just another masturbation move to console the gun safety freaks out there. How many gun models had this feature 20 years ago? Not many, I'd guess.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I personally know of two instances where a mag safety has saved lives.

The average CCW should never have a need of one and it is a bigger PIA than it is a benefit.

As a beat cop I'll take my pistol with one.

There is nothing more scary than having some asshole trying to pull your gun out of it's holster in a fight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Supposedly, in a scuffle over the gun you could drop the magazine rendering the gun incapable of firing. If you manage to secure it again you slap in a magazine and you're good to go.

I seem where they're coming from but the flip side is that you may need to take a shot quickly when reloading (especially if you fumble the mag change) and it prevents that.

Lots of people play the "another thing to break" card but most guns have 2-3 safety mechanisms that no-one complains about.

There are some pistols (hi-power) where it negatively affects the trigger as well.

If they're well designed such that likely failures do not prevent the gun firing and they do not adversely affect the trigger.... I'm still not sure that I want one. Maybe if I was a cop and going hands-on with people was part of my day job.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#17]
IMHO, it's the only downside to the 3rd Gen Smith and Wesson.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Supposedly, in a scuffle over the gun you could drop the magazine rendering the gun incapable of firing. If you manage to secure it again you slap in a magazine and you're good to go.

I seem where they're coming from but the flip side is that you may need to take a shot quickly when reloading (especially if you fumble the mag change) and it prevents that.

Lots of people play the "another thing to break" card but most guns have 2-3 safety mechanisms that no-one complains about.

There are some pistols (hi-power) where it negatively affects the trigger as well.

If they're well designed such that likely failures do not prevent the gun firing and they do not adversely affect the trigger.... I'm still not sure that I want one. Maybe if I was a cop and going hands-on with people was part of my day job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Huh, never considered that scenario.

Learn something every day.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The average CCW should never have a need of one and it is a bigger PIA than it is a benefit.

There is nothing more scary than having some asshole trying to pull your gun out of it's holster in a fight.
View Quote
Even your CCW, or just your duty weapon?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't have a carry gun with a magazine safety, nor a regular manual safety.

Glock #1

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, never thought about the cop/ fight for the gun approach. Seems it may have a use, and I could see wanting the feature in that case.

Not for me though, if things have gone level 11 fuckity where I'm in a fist fight for my own gun, shit went extra wrong.

I thought it was implemented by lawyers who were preventing the manufacturer from suite in the event some idiot plugged themselves with a gun they thought was empty because the mag was out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Not a fan of the mag safety.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Second this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my duty gun.

I've disabled it on my Hi-Power which I carry a lot off duty and have not purchased a gun with a mag safety I intend to carry as a CCW gun.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Only gun I own with a mag safety is a Walther P22. I disabled it when I performed the "Decrapification".
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#27]
In general I would rather not have one on my guns.

However, a VERY common accident is one where someone takes the magazine out of a loaded gun and thinks that unloads the gun. They pull the trigger and someone gets shot… by accident. And that’s why I would rather not have one. I’m not that ignorant and untrained. I mean, I can make mistakes with firearms, I have made mistakes with firearms, but not that one. So a magazine safety would be pretty pointless to me.  However, for someone who has maybe shot their home defense pistol twice in their life, it might be a good idea.

Magazine safeties can, and have saved lives because the good guy manages to drop the magazine in a struggle for the gun. If the good guy has a backup gun then he can stop fighting for his main gun after the magazine is dropped and draw his backup.

The flip side to this is what happens when some gentle giant is exercising his basic human right to beat a cop to death and then skull fuck him in the street and, in the struggle for the gun, the magazine on the cops gun gets dumped? What happens if you have to fire your last round off in the middle of a tactical reload?

So, for me and what I do, they aren’t worth much. But they do have their place.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Pointless.
View Quote

and a liability

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Mag safety?

No pew pew without mag installed?
Na, they can keep it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#30]
there is no good reason at all ever for a mag safety
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I got use to a 1911 so now I'm stuck feeling for a safety on the side.

I won't consider any other shotgun besides an 870 due to the safety location, it's so convenient.

ETA....maybe next time I'll read the thread title better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pointless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, never thought about the cop/ fight for the gun approach. Seems it may have a use, and I could see wanting the feature in that case.

Not for me though, if things have gone level 11 fuckity where I'm in a fist fight for my own gun, shit went extra wrong.

I thought it was implemented by lawyers who were preventing the manufacturer from suite in the event some idiot plugged themselves with a gun they thought was empty because the mag was out.
View Quote

problem is that is a 50/50 situation.
sure, it might be the time the thug get it from you and you have popped the mag so he cant shoot you.
or it could be the time you retain the gun buy the mag has been popped and now you are the one who is holding a worthless gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then you have never been in a fight with some guy high on PCP who was swinging you around by your gun belt trying to rip your gun off.

When the magazine was half out of the gun he bent it half.

Once we didn't have to worry about him getting a working gun, we could start working on his head.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I
thought it was implemented by lawyers who were preventing the
manufacturer from suite in the event some idiot plugged themselves with a
gun they thought was empty because the mag was out.

sure, it might be the time the thug get it from you and you have popped the mag so he cant shoot you.

or it could be the time you retain the gun buy the mag has been popped and now you are the one who is holding a worthless gun.
Tap and rack or reload. I carry at least 2 spare mags on my duty belt.

Takes less than a second.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Wouldn't hate it, but I strongly prefer not having them. A gun that had it would be a range toy or maybe a bedside gun, but I don't think I would carry it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have a carry gun with a magazine safety, nor a regular manual safety.

Glock #1

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mag safety?

No pew pew without mag installed?
Na, they can keep it.
View Quote

You only get one pew without the mag.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Then you have never been in a fight with some guy high on PCP who was swinging you around by your gun belt trying to rip your gun off.
Once we didn't have to worry about him getting a working gun, we could start working on his head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry 4 extra mags, but if I can tap rack and reload, its not much of a struggle in my mind.
lots of situation out there, but I would prefer that my equitment work when I need it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Also makes dissassembling a Ruger MKIII even more of a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Bought Hi Power, got home, removed mag safety, went to range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bought Hi Power, got home, removed mag safety, went to range.
View Quote

Me too. My last HP had the mag disconnect only as long as it took for me to drive home with it and get the tools out of the toolbox.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So you actually train to purposely drop the mag when someone is trying to take your gun away?  I think that's the real rub here.  What's the chance that the gun owner has the presence of mind to attempt to drop the mag when a bad guy is trying to take it away from him?

Sure seems like that would be a rather small argument for having a disconnect.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

.....Lots of people play the "another thing to break" card but most guns have 2-3 safety mechanisms that no-one complains about....

View Quote

Well, I'd just as soon not get killed by my loaded carry piece in the event that I drop it.   Therefore, I don't complain about the other safeties.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Won't buy a gun with one unless it's easy to remove.

Has nothing to do "with another thing to break" and everything to do with I still want that 1 shot in the event my magazine isn't fully seated.  If you've ever carried a gun (especially OC) for a while, especially one with a prominent mag release button, you've had one that got pushed by accident.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I generally will not buy handguns with magazine safeties but the one in my Ruger MKlll Hunter doesn't bother me since the pistol is only a range toy anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I really like it on a pistil it took some getting use to but I love them on highpowers

on the gsg-5 I hate it
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I really like it on a pistil it took some getting use to but I love them on highpowers

on the gsg-5 I hate it
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think that is a somewhat bogus use case.  If you have lost control of your weapon you aren't going to get the mag dropped in the process.  The real use case is to prevent idiots from shooting themselves when cleaning (or otherwise handling the weapon) because they thought it was clear when the mag was dropped - forgetting about the chamber.

ETA: in case it wasn't clear, I hate the damn things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Its a magazine disconnect not a safety

Unfortunately they are nothing new and have been around at least since 1935.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pointless.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top