[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Were you in the military then?

Because I sure as fuck don't miss it.  
View Quote

Heh.  Those of us stationed in FRG (late 80s) had fun times...some shitty times but, mostly fun.    Sorta miss the food and the gals.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember the fall out shelters. Sure made it seem like it WAS going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I was in Slovakia last month in a small town... Martin.

It had a completely Cold War feel to it, and the weather just added to it.

It made me feel nostalgic, and it made me really miss the cold war.

Seriously. Visit Martin, Slovakia in December.

I loved it!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

... We appreciate your suffering & sacrifices back then, that said can you post the mailing address to our enemies (ISIS or Al-Keye da) today?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Growing up in the '60s, '70s, I just accepted that I could be vaporized in a second (if I was lucky).  You don't really think about it; life goes on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... at least we knew where our enemies were back then
View Quote

And those enemies were on the other side of the world.

I miss the Cold War too. To me at least, the world felt like a safer place.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]

I did my part to win the cold war by securing the Green Goose in Nurmberg just about every weekend.

Sometimes the Nashville.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was telling someone this very thing just the other day.

We knew who the enemy was.

We all knew what the rules were.

The world was a safer place.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#12]
It is interesting to see the shift in thinking in society.

There was a family in my Ward in Colorado... I have talked about them before on arfcom... Liberals.

The mom taught "Womens studies" in college got up to give a talk one time... Right after Obama was elected...And said, "When I was growing up, all I heard was fear, fear, fear." And she talked about the fear of the Russians.

And then she said, "And now, things have changed. Instead of fear, there is hope."

I about coughed. I said, quietly... "Holy crap."

The truth... The Cold War was a bad time in many ways... And there *was* "fear." And there was massive, massive spending... And tremendous amounts of money being spent. Gobs of money...

But the flipside...

We are *currently* at war. And Democrats can pretend that Paris was an isolated incident... And folks can put their heads back in the sand.

And retards can tell themselves that the world is filled with hope because Obama has the nuclear trigger...

The flipside.

We are at war. Russia does not think the Cold War is over, and they might not be the military they once were, but they are not our "friend."

We are at war. China grows stronger and stronger, and increases military spending, while we decrease ours, and buy Obama Phones for folks... We are at war. Terrorism is growing and growing, even though Obama wants to lie and say otherwise...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Nuclear air raid sirens in the middle of the night?  I do not miss that at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember a poster on the wall in garrison showing the average day of the standard 7 foot tall Russian soldier, who woke up two hours before us and trained 28 hours a day.  It wasn't a matter of if, just a matter of when.  We were convinced the two biggest kids were going to fight and we trained for almost nothing else.

We made a lot of sacrifices back then, more than youngsters here might imagine, but nothing like those in uniform today.  The guys now have it a so much worse.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Having a villain that everyone worries about is good. USSR was a respectable bad guy. Asymmetric bad guys are a crap substitute. Especially when the good guys are forced to fight them on a leash.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
... believe me, I'm certainly glad that we never had to, "duck and cover" for the real enchilada, but hell, we don't even have a mailing address to share our complaints these days

Much less send a JADAM if they don't agree with our terms
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Having a villain that everyone worries about is good. USSR was a respectable bad guy. Asymmetric bad guys are a crap substitute. Especially when the good guys are forced to fight them on a leash.
View Quote

And especially when a whole bunch of people think that appeasement is the answer.

The problem is that everyone forgets the Cold War, and new generations don't understand how it felt to live during that time.

This is why history repeats itself. Its because the lessons learned aren't hammered into the coming generation.

The way life felt during the Cold War is marginalized in order to eradicate the mindset.

This is how humanity fails.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It is interesting to see the shift in thinking in society.

There was a family in my Ward in Colorado... I have talked about them before on arfcom... Liberals.

The mom taught "Womens studies" in college got up to give a talk one time... Right after Obama was elected...And said, "When I was growing up, all I heard was fear, fear, fear." And she talked about the fear of the Russians.

And then she said, "And now, things have changed. Instead of fear, there is hope."

I about coughed. I said, quietly... "Holy crap."

The truth... The Cold War was a bad time in many ways... And there *was* "fear." And there was massive, massive spending... And tremendous amounts of money being spent. Gobs of money...

But the flipside...

We are *currently* at war. And Democrats can pretend that Paris was an isolated incident... And folks can put their heads back in the sand.

And retards can tell themselves that the world is filled with hope because Obama has the nuclear trigger...

The flipside.

We are at war. Russia does not think the Cold War is over, and they might not be the military they once were, but they are not our "friend."

We are at war. China grows stronger and stronger, and increases military spending, while we decrease ours, and buy Obama Phones for folks... We are at war. Terrorism is growing and growing, even though Obama wants to lie and say otherwise...

View Quote

... succinct synopsis, and spot on
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Funny to think we were safer with thousands of nukes on hair trigger alert, but at least the Soviets were rational and somewhat predictable... they really didn't want to be incinerated either.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#23]
The Russians kept the bad guys in line, that was a nice thing

Today, hard to believe, they are in the same boat as us. We are friends in once sense but they are just a bit dysfunctional

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I remember the constant under tone of fear and knowing it was very possible I would die in a nuke blast   or slowly puking up my own guts as my hair, teeth and finger nails fell off from radiation poison.

I also remember the feeling that we did at least have strength  and an odd safety as well as , in my mind, a national pride and a sense of the importance of self defense

I get nostalgia for it all the time, in certain ways.      Looking back it was damned interesting and  people too young to remember it  have no idea what it was like

though I think we are headed for something much worse

Yeah I just realize.   I do miss the hell out of the cold war.  no joke
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#25]
As a fellow child of the cold war myself op I can relate. That being said the risk of nuclear war is still there. I worry that with our attention so focused on terrorism, China and the Russkies will try to get all sneaky. When your young you are to busy being a kid to really worry about the end of the world to lose any sleep worrying about it. But as an adult and especially  as you age and mature, you become more aware of how fragile this thing we call civilization is, and how little it would take for things to spiral out of control. You've suddenly got alot more to lose.

Most people think their youth was more clearly defined and simpler time. I think humanity's always been alot closer to the abyss throughout our collective history than we realize.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?  The world came damn close to World War III several times during the cold war.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sure, there was lots of fun.

I'm just saying, I don't miss the whole "you WILL die if the Soviets decide to kick it off" thing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh.  Those of us stationed in FRG (late 80s) had fun times...some shitty times but, mostly fun.    Sorta miss the food and the gals.  

I'm just saying, I don't miss the whole "you WILL die if the Soviets decide to kick it off" thing.  

I liked the whole 45 minute life spam we had if the commies kicked it off . I miss Kill a commie for mommy . I liked good beer .
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I remember a poster on the wall in garrison showing the average day of the standard 7 foot tall Russian soldier, who woke up two hours before us and trained 28 hours a day.  It wasn't a matter of if, just a matter of when.  We were convinced the two biggest kids were going to fight and we trained for almost nothing else.

We made a lot of sacrifices back then, more than youngsters here might imagine, but nothing like those in uniform today.  The guys now have it a so much worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they bathed naked in the snow.

Our "Know your enemy" billboard at the CQ desk included pictures of them rolling around in the snow in their underwear. I remember thinking, "Damn they're fucking stupid".

ETA: And let's not forget the AFN commercials warning that Russia was tapping all the phone lines. The commercials showed .mil and civilians answering the phone then stopping mid sentence to say, "Oh, hello Ivan" before continuing their call.

The Energy Rapper was stupid.

And the history lesson commercials. Sam Waterston and Brooke Shields and other celebrities would tell short American history lessons and end every commercial with, "It's a fact, in the Library of Congress. Learn more about it at your local library".
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Then, we could point to Russia and those were the Bad Guys who would have tried their best to destroy the US.

Now, we can point almost anywhere - including right here in our own land - and there are Bad Guys who want to see the end of us.

I know what you mean, OP. I totally get it and have said those very words out loud myself many times over the last 7 or 8 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the prospect of getting nuked did kind of dampen things a bit....  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What?  The world came damn close to World War III several times during the cold war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You M.A.D., bro?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I did my part to win the cold war by securing the Green Goose in Nurmberg just about every weekend.

Sometimes the Nashville.

View Quote

Haha! We had a Green Goose in Wurzburg.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Does anybody remember that made for t.v. movie from the 80's "World War III" with David Seoul iirc, or "The Day After"?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Does anybody remember that made for t.v. movie from the 80's "World War III" with David Seoul iirc, or "The Day After"?
View Quote

Yep.  Other than the nuclear attack part, The Day After was pretty stupid.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:59:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I sure do although I would have been in elementary school.

I remember watching a few minutes of the day after and it scaring ever living shit out of me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I know who our enemies are now.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know who our enemies are now.

View Quote

Totally..... Jews.

*psyche*

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes the Nashville.

The ORIGINAL Green Goose was in Nurmberg!  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Some of you seem to be forgetting that even at the height of the Cold War,terrorist organizations struck and killed Americans and there was no more defeating them than modern day AQ/IS.  The big change is that the US is now forced to be allied with the guys who did this and has a President who just said he will veto any additional sanctions against their masters.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:25:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, think of all the great movies we did get out of the Cold War.  Spies Like Us, Rocky IV etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top