Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 11:35:07 PM EDT
That 24 years ago today the shock and awe started in the Gulf. I was 21 and in the USAR. My reserve unit had been activated a month earlier and we were scattered about USAREUR. The majority of us were at Lanstuhl Army Hospital. The night it started we immediately started calling all hands, and within 2 hrs the hospital was buzzing with everyone in full battle gear ready for action. Over the next couple days we expanded that hospital from ~200 beds to close to 1,000.
Ahh, fun times!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You're the best babe.

Btw, this aggression will not stand man!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your service OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My sister signed up early 90, then they offered her full 4 year benefits to get out late 91... total time in, 21 months.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I was 13 and playing hockey on an outdoor rink when I first heard about it.  I remember feeling worried about Army guys getting killed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I was just ending my third week in Beautiful Oklahoma.  I had no hair and I was learning to do many pushups.  Someone mentioned something about a war but all I saw of it was the front page of the Lawton daily birdcage liner. It's hard to see shock and awe from the front leaning rest.

It's kind of funny. They hired so many of us 91Bs that almost no one got past e-4 until well after I got off active 2 years later.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in middle school.  At the time I remember it was pretty amazing to watch something like that evolve on TV.

Thank you to all who served.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I was in college.  I remember that during the ramp-up there was some debate about whether or not Iraq was a paper tiger and some concern that we might not have enough body bags in inventory so we were in contact with Canada about getting more.
Fortunately, that wound up being far from necessary.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in middle school.  At the time I remember it was pretty amazing to watch something like that evolve on TV.

Thank you to all who served.  
View Quote

Yep, Vietnam is considered the first "television war", but the Gulf War was the first that made extensive use of live coverage.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Getting predeployment briefings
National Guard never got out of the state.

They obviously didn't need our help!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Halfway through my 20, and we had been in the AOR 4+ months already.  Hauled mucho people and equipment and things that went "boom".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top