Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/16/2015 10:08:25 PM EDT

Anderson said that he wasn't trying to run up the score or embarrass the opposition

"The game just got away from me,"

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid shit like this is why we're circling the drain.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't like it?  Get better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps we should just let the other team win instaed
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was on a team that could only score one foul shot in a half, I wouldn't publicize what a loser I was. I would just slowly disappear from sports and hope people forgot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Awwwww. Everybody gets a trophy! Yay!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there mentally or physically handicap kids involved? No? Then GTFO losing coach. Your team alread lost another game by 91 points.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
San Bernarino
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
In this thread, people with no concept of sportsmanship.

There's more to a game than simply winning by as much as you can.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Winners are the losers in the new America.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Easing up on another team, taking it easy so they can score and "feel good" does them no favors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
If the other team got beat that bad they deserved it for even stepping on the court so badly prepared. I know what would happen if I stepped in the Octagon, and that's why I stay the fuck out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I was on both ends of the slaughter rule in little league.  We crushed some teams, and got crushed by some.  Shit happens.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or the other team sucked.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is why our civilization is going to shit.

You crush your opponent, within the rules of the game and your abilities, and then shake their hand afterward.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe they should be playing dodge ball ................................................... oh, wait.  Banned.  Maybe learn how to play basket ball .... just maybe, maybe ........
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#18]
"Free basketball classes for everyone! Winner pays!" ~FBHO
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#19]
How do they only score 2?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#21]
In some leagues the refs are responsible for stepping in if it becomes a slaughter.  Where were they?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn't Lombardi say something like "If you don't want us running up the score then stop us"...or something to that effect.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
The opposing coach should have thrown in the towel...This is just stupid.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]
When this happened when I was a kid, the losing coach could concede the game at halftime if the ass whompin was getting intense.
But to be mad at the GOOD team?  There's no hope for this world.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's the deal:  

Yes the team is good.
Yes the coach should get some credit for kicking ass.

However, if the coach and team are assholes about it, nobody will sign contracts to play them.

If that happens, the team loses money and community suoport.  The coach gets replaced.  The team gets weaker.  The kids lose because mediocrity ends up winning because coach decides pride is more important than taking the opportunity to grow the game and tighten the sport's sense of community.

This is coming from a HS, Collegiate, and Olympic athlete coach.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Easing up on another team, taking it easy so they can score and "feel good" does them no favors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither does tuning them up.  Nobody suggests that you let the other team score, but at some point you ease off the gas.

There is a difference between sportsmanship and showing some class and "everybody gets a trophy."  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#27]
If I were the loosing coach I would just either throw in the towel by the fourth or use the experience to learn how to get better.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The opposing coach should have thrown in the towel...This is just stupid.
View Quote

If a coach does that, it violates state athletic rules which, depending on the state, can impose a fine, suspension or ban.  What the coach should do is play out the game, then encourage the school's AD to NEVER sign another athletic contract with that school.  The next step is to encourage the other ADs in the losing school's conference to follow suit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Rumor has it that the winning team has the following painted above their home court.

To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Work hard, dedicate yourself, come together as a team and be the absolute best that you can be.

Unless of course you actually do that in which case knock it off.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I think if I were a player I would be more offended by them "easing up" than by getting whipped.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#32]
No mercy rule?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Sports shouldn't have points or teams. It needs to be fair for everyone. Everyone needs to feel special at all times and never feel bad or face anything hard.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Awwwww. Everybody gets a trophy! Yay!
View Quote

I saw an ad for a baseball camp a few weeks ago. It was a few hours a day on a Sat and SUn.
The ad said that there would be an awards ceremony at the end.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sports shouldn't have points or teams. It needs to be fair for everyone. Everyone needs to feel special at all times and never feel bad or face anything hard.
View Quote

Yes victory should be based on who gives the best hugs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#37]
The real travesty here is the loosing coach. Who put that team together. Two damn points? What the hell was that school thinking when they put that team together and let them play games?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#38]
The only question is why couldn't they have hit 200.

If your team can hold another team to 2 while you score 161 that's good coaching.  The other coach should be ashamed of herself for not teaching her team to play basketball.

It's crazy they did a full court press the entire first half lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#39]
nothing wrong with delivering an ass-kicking, but i've never been real big on showing up the opposition.  

sportsmanship meant something when i played.  times are changing i guess.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think if I were a player I would be more offended by them "easing up" than by getting whipped.
View Quote

I usually fall in this camp.  1) I do want the other team to bring it 100% and 2) in my sport and position, life is actually a lot harder on me when teams do ease up.  As an ice hockey goalie I'd rather face shots than you cycle the puck endlessly in my zone, because I have to constantly move with you and that gets to be exhausting.

But I'm an adult, and a shellacking for us is still reasonable.  If my beer league team were to play a pro hockey team, and they were scoring a goal every 30 seconds at will, then yeah, there is pretty much no point to the game at all then.

In basketball, 161-2 is more akin to that.  nobody is getting shit out of that game, no lessons are being learned, not even any hard knock life lessons.  It's just fucking embarrassing and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Not a record.

Next year is the 100th Anniversary of Georgia Tech 222 to Cumberland's 0 (ZERO) Point Game
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Lets see... losing coaches players loose by 91 the next game they loose by 159 ---and he is criticizing the winning coaches ethics ???  Does the losing coach get paid ? does he cash the checks? Is that ethical ? Maybe if he were more worried about fundamentals and basketball and less about ethics.......
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Teenaged girls are vicious, vindictive and without mercy
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#44]
If they just would not keep score, and give everyone a trophy, this would not be an issue.

He should have played the second and third stringers, if they were able to run up the score, too damn bad. Life lessons can be hard.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#45]
So much douchery... easing up on a team to let them score isn't just about making them feel good. It's about showing them grace AND teaching the winning players how to show it, to learn some humility, and not be prick douchebags consumed with how awesome they are.

I know because I was on one of those winning teams in a killing game, and forever have remembered what that coach had us do... stand by and let that team score, somewhat embarrassing, but he taught us not to be pricks.

Consider that for a moment. Should she be suspended, probably not, but she should be called out for being a prickette.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Im not familiar with basketball, but what exactly is a winning team supposed to do after they are firmly in the lead? Loaf around the court? Quit?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I usually fall in this camp.  1) I do want the other team to bring it 100% and 2) in my sport and position, life is actually a lot harder on me when teams do ease up.  As an ice hockey goalie I'd rather face shots than you cycle the puck endlessly in my zone, because I have to constantly move with you and that gets to be exhausting.

But I'm an adult, and a shellacking for us is still reasonable.  If my beer league team were to play a pro hockey team, and they were scoring a goal every 30 seconds at will, then yeah, there is pretty much no point to the game at all then.

In basketball, 161-2 is more akin to that.  nobody is getting shit out of that game, no lessons are being learned, not even any hard knock life lessons.  It's just fucking embarrassing and unnecessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you suggest they do then? Just Quit? Let then losing team score until its more even then start playing hard again?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope eventually they are going to get to the playoffs and you need to know if the kids can do the full 40 minutes at a high intensity.  Perfect time to test in a real game.  Prepare for the future, not the present.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If they just would not keep score, and give everyone a trophy, this would not be an issue.

He should have played the second and third stringers, if they were able to run up the score, too damn bad. Life lessons can be hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In the article he said he didn't run any 1st stringers after the first half

I like what the losing coach said...

"People shouldn't feel sorry for my team," Chung said. "They should feel sorry for his team, which isn't learning the game the right way."

Doesn't seem that way to me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#50]
"I didn't play any starters in the second half. I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'm not trying to embarrass anybody."

He says if he had it to do again, he'd have played only reserves after the first quarter, or "I wouldn't play the game at all."
View Quote

He did all he could beside tell his team to sit down.

I'd have gone for 200
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top