Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:57:10 PM EDT
in the fact that they play the same songs all the time.

We have SiriusXM in our Buick Enclave, and it rarely leaves channel 6 which is the 60s station.  Yesterday they played "Sunny Afternoon" by the Kinks.  Today "Sunny Afternoon" by the Kinks.  Decent song? Yes.  But I'm sure the Kinks have more songs that don't get nearly as much airplay as that one, "You've really got me" and "Lola."  It's sort of like how Peter Frampton has more in his catalog outside of "Show Me The Way", "Do You Feel Like We Do?" and "Baby I Love Your Way".  So guess what I heard today?

Other examples are that every so often they play the Snoopy songs by the Royal Guardsmen.  Not bad songs, but they played them every day.

I can't complain too much, as satellite radio does sometimes play stuff I've never heard of(and I grew up on a LOT of 60s music, as my parents were children of the 60s.   That said, I thought the point of satellite radio is that there's a lot more leeway to play what you wanted because of less regulations.  But I already know the answer as to why, program directors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed it...if you judged 90s music by Lithium, you'd think that no one listened to anything but Smashing Pumpkins and The Offspring.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
No commercials. Worth it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've noticed it...if you judged 90s music by Lithium, you'd think that no one listened to anything but Smashing Pumpkins and The Offspring.

View Quote

Agreed...I had high hopes for satellite radio when I got it for the first time last month (free trial) but they really do play the same little set of songs over and over again.  I was really looking forward to lithium being a big fan of 90s music but good lord...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience is the exact opposite.
If I'm sick of listening to country music on my long drive, I can switch to the Sinatra channel, or the comedy channel, or the Patriot channel, or Backspin (old school rap), or......
I've had it since 05 and today I have it in three of my cars. One of those is a portable that I take into my office to listen while working.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The nice thing about it is there are not commercials and I can play a wide variety of music. I usually just leave it on Octane, but from time to time if I get bored and don't want to listen to my phone I put it on Lithium, Pop2K, The Faction, Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, BPM, Electric Area, Prime Country, and Y2Kountry. As you can tell I listen to a wide variety of music and around here the local stations are pop, Country (x2), or classic rock. And the country stations are mostly new country which I'm not a fan of. If you listen to the same channel it can get a bit boring, that's why there's so many channels.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That said, I thought the point of satellite radio is that there's a lot more leeway to play what you wanted because of less regulations.  But I already know the answer as to why, program directors.
View Quote

No, the point all along has been no commercials and higher quality audio.  The higher quality is kind of a moot point now that HD Radio is all over and you can stream high quality audio from mobile devices.

They do have tiny playlists.  I did the SiruiusXM thing for a year and ditched it for Pandora and iTunes Radio.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the reasons I like pandora. After awhile of thumbs up and thumbs down.....you end up with a orrery close to perfect station without tons of frequent replays or commercials.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I dig Slacker Radio.  Have been using it for several years

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I am in Howard stern most of the time.

But when I do listen to music to coffee house and channel 2 ( I forget the name) but it's current songs and I find they play many different songs than terrestrial radio. Also I find Sirius plays songs way before they debut in terrestrial radio
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Blackmoor's Night.  Where are you going to hear that but Deep Tracks?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, Andrew Wilkow starts at 11:00am central.

I'm a big fan of 90"s but Lithium is like the "Top Ten Alice in Chains Countdown".  I just jump around and I enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, OP. Guess what? If you drive long enough, like say, across country, you can hear the entire playlist twice in one day.
It still beat regular radio by far. And only $8.99 per month.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Programming in enough stations and a steering wheel mounted button to change channels you really don't have to worry about that much.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hey, OP. Guess what? If you drive long enough, like say, across country, you can hear the entire playlist twice in one day.

It still beat regular radio by far. And only $8.99 per month.
View Quote

I had XM when I drove OTR, it was nice to have. But XM was going downhill well before the merger. And I still hate Clear Channel for the clusterfuck they made out of the channels they controlled(same shit as on their regular broadcast stations - computer controlled with bad timing and no humans to watch over it, so you ended up with 30 seconds of silence, and then 2 commercials, an announcer, and the scheduled programming all playing at once over each other). I didn't cancel my XM until I stopped the long haul routine, but I had moved more towards listening to my iPod well before then. I had a pretty big music library and one of the big hard drive based iPods, so it held almost everything - and then I would update the podcasts every few days and listen through those.

If I were looking at it now, I wouldn't even consider satellite.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe in your neck of the woods but not here (southwestern AZ). I have XM so I don't have to listen to the shit that most stations around here play.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, Andrew Wilkow starts at 11:00am central.

I'm a big fan of 90"s but Lithium is like the "Top Ten Alice in Chains Countdown".  I just jump around and I enjoy it.
View Quote

I hate talk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top