Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2015 8:37:02 PM EDT
I followed the scheduled PMs religiously until she hit the 300,000 miles mark.  Since then, I just change the engine oil every 3K miles and performing small repairs when necessary.

Should I go back following the scheduled PMs?  The scheduled PMs require more $$$, because she now belongs in the "severe driving condition" category due to age and mileage.

Please advise.

THANK YOU!

PS - I have no plan to resuscitate her in the event of a catastrophic mechanical failure (but should I?).   I have a newer Honda (2010) with only 100K on her, so my back is covered in case the ole gal kicks the bucket.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're on track.
I would still do timing belt/water pump every 90K.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Oil at 3000 miles is a waste of money in any car with fuel injection that runs decent.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Follow the PM's.  2004 Civic at 180K plus.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
312K?

Wow.

Good luck with it.

Hopefully you can get 500K out of it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a mechanic and I work with a Honda guy.  According to him, if there are no codes or causes to worry, 300,000 is just broken in.  FWIW, I drive a Ford Crown Vic P71.  Approaching 300,000 miles.  I change the oil and filter at 6000 miles (MotorCraft filter and Mobil 1 5w-30).  If it ain't broke, don't "fix it".
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
What have you been doing with the transmission (fluid and filter at 60k?  or on schedule (100k?)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If the tranny isn't doing anything unusual, don't fuck with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard not to mess with the transmission fluid if you haven't been changing it regularly. Something about it releasing solids into the engine maybe.

Hopefully a mechanic can chime it about that.

ETA: congrats, it sounds like you got a good one!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a 1994 with 138k on it.
Reliable little car.
A bitch to work on though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What have you been doing with the transmission (fluid and filter at 60k?  or on schedule (100k?)
View Quote

When I used to follow the recommended PMs, I had the fluid changed accordingly.  Now, I just do it when the mechanic tells me that it needs changing.  I think I changed it last month.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't had anything unusual with the transmission.  In your opinion, if the tranny goes out, is it worth it to fix it or should I just let the car rest in peace?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#13]
how many times have you changed the timing belt?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]
When I finally got around to doing the JDM drivetrain swap on my '90 Integra Sedan the original drivetrain had a little over 300k and was still running strong.  Sold it to someone who probably still has it in their car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I used to follow the recommended PMs, I had the fluid changed accordingly.  Now, I just do it when the mechanic tells me that it needs changing.  I think I changed it last month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't see any reason to change it up now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You've given me new hope, OP. My 2006 Scion TC is in the shop right now undergoing numerous repairs; want to keep her going for at least another year. Suddenly her 197,000 miles don't seem like much.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#17]
For 2002?  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've changed it three times - 100K, 200K and 300K
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You've given me new hope, OP. My 2006 Scion TC is in the shop right now undergoing numerous repairs; want to keep her going for at least another year. Suddenly her 197,000 miles don't seem like much.

View Quote

Hang in there!  197K isn't much in ANY well maintained car, IMHO
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For 2002?  Don't worry about it.
View Quote

Cool!  Truth to be told, I am trying to run it until it dies.  Trying to get at least 400K out of , but I have a feeling that it will go to 500K+  

Still taking the car on 700+ miles road trips.  I think the 2010 Honda starting to get jealous.  LOL!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
When you guys are quoting stuff like 90k are you talking 90,0000 kilometers or 90,000 miles?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Hondas are overbuilt.  Honda reliability is a fact.  Example: the Honda Rebel Motorcyle.  They may only make it to 70MPH, but they can maintain that RPM/MPH indefinitely.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
HA ! I have a stock 1991 CRX HF model with over 360xxx miles ...

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When you guys are quoting stuff like 90k are you talking 90,0000 kilometers or 90,000 miles?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
At this point, oil changes and air cleaner. I had a 2001 Camry that I severely neglected as far as PM, and I sold it at 284k, still running good. I changed the timing belt at 187k.

She should keep running good for you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Economically you've gotten your money's worth so if you want to stop spending money/time on any maintenance other than oil changes you're already ahead.

That's probably what I would do.....then just evaluate whether it makes sense to fix or replace when/if things break.

My parents have a 2000 Honda Odyssey that I think is over 350k now.  Still used as a daily driver.

ETA:  My Pontiac is at ~170k.  I have zero faith it's going to make it to the 300k mark.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an '87.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice.

Here's to reaching that Al Bundy 1 million mile mark!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Service manager here. If the transmission hasnt been regulary serviced i.e. every 50-75k dont touch it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#30]
You've kept it alive for 312K miles and now your asking GD for advice...........
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have an '87.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an '87.

Mileage ?

I also have a stock 93 Del Sol with 230xxx miles ...

Both still runnin' strong !
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Economically you've gotten your money's worth so if you want to stop spending money/time on any maintenance other than oil changes you're already ahead.

That's probably what I would do.....then just evaluate whether it makes sense to fix or replace when/if things break.

My parents have a 2000 Honda Odyssey that I think is over 350k now.  Still used as a daily driver.

ETA:  My Pontiac is at ~170k.  I have zero faith it's going to make it to the 300k mark.  
View Quote

Yes, sir.  That's what I'm thinking, too.  I am not going to perform a catastrophic repair.  If something major does happen, I THINK I'd lay her to rest in a nearest junk yard and use the 2010 Honda as a new slave  She is still chugging along, though.  Granted I've been driving her like a good Catholic school girl, but there are times when I do things to her that would make me cringe.

Reason I asked if I should have a plan to resuscitate is because I've been seeing cheap replacement engine for 2002 Honda - getting it to the shop and having it install, though, I have no idea what and how much it would cost.

Why don't you think your Pontiac would make it to 300K?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Service manager here. If the transmission hasnt been regulary serviced i.e. every 50-75k dont touch it.
View Quote

You mean don't even put new fluid in it?  What happen when the fluid is dirty?  I believe the transmission fluid had been changed......three or four times?  Not sure have to look at the recommended PM list I had.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You've kept it alive for 312K miles and now your asking GD for advice...........
View Quote

GD can be at times (that's why I can't have enough of this place ), but there had been many occasions when good advices were indeed put forth.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You mean don't even put new fluid in it?  What happen when the fluid is dirty?  I believe the transmission fluid had been changed......three or four times?  Not sure have to look at the recommended PM list I had.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The explanation I heard on car talk about that was that there's so much accumulated debris by now, that if you flush it, it could knock a big piece loose and occlude a valve or something inside the guts.

Think human heart, 50 years of accumulated plaque, and chelation therapy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

1) It's a Pontiac.

2) Shit's already going wrong

I've already had to have the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago and it's leaking a little oil.  Not to mention the electrical problems, broken window motors, etc.   I'm going to try to get it to at least 200k, but it'll be replaced sooner rather than later.  And not with another Pontiac.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I haven't had anything unusual with the transmission.  In your opinion, if the tranny goes out, is it worth it to fix it or should I just let the car rest in peace?  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If anything major fails, I would just junk it.  That car is worth maybe a few hundred dollars as a car, more as parts if its in overall good shape.  Just part it out and buy a new used Honda and start over.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My daughter's 2004 Accord is a piece of cake to change the tranny fluid, has a drain plug just like the oil. I wouldn't think there would be any issue to changing the fluid if your's is the same.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The explanation I heard on car talk about that was that there's so much accumulated debris by now, that if you flush it, it could knock a big piece loose and occlude a valve or something inside the guts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aha!  OK, I think the recommended PMs saved me.  The schedule allocates slots for the transmission fluid to be changed.  I do not remember the mileage intervals, though.  I remember that I had to bring the car in for 3 hours every so often for extensive PMs.  That's not counting changing the timing belt, which were done around every 100K.

Good to know - I'll make sure I'd do the same with the 2010 Honda.  It would be sad if the newer one dies before the older one does
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1) It's a Pontiac.

I've already had to have the transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago and it's leaking a little oil.  Not to mention the electrical problems, broken window motors, etc.   I'm going to try to get it to at least 200k, but it'll be replaced sooner rather than later.  And not with another Pontiac.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) It's a Pontiac.

I bought a bunch of pulled transmissions for 80 bucks apiece for my military blazer.  When one dies, I'll just swap in a new one and keep going.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm not saying that Hondas are indestructible. But they are the next best alternative.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My daughter's 2004 Accord is a piece of cake to change the tranny fluid, has a drain plug just like the oil. I wouldn't think there would be any issue to changing the fluid if your's is the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's how my Honda works.  To be honest, I have been having the car worked on by mechanics, not by myself
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks, that is always a big concern of mine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an 04 Accord with a manual transmission..i'm hoping it makes it to 500k miles, i hate car payments

It's at around ~140k right now
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have an 04 Accord with a manual transmission..i'm hoping it makes it to 500k miles, i hate car payments

It's at around ~140k right now
View Quote

Tell me about it.  When I bought the 2010 Accord, I was eating Top Ramen for seven months straight.  Still owe $17 on the payment.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Had a 2000 Honda Accord coupe ex v6. Made it to 290k before the transmission went out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People always told me to change the timing belt at 60K miles, but the scheduled PMs stated 90K, so I went with 100K intervals  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Had a 2000 Honda Accord coupe ex v6. Made it to 290k before the transmission went out.
View Quote

I often "hear" that about V6 Honda's.  Not sure if true or not, but rumor has it that their transmission tend to commit suicide sooner than later.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#49]
97 civic with 250k on it and still running great. I change out the timing belt every 75k along with a new water pump and tranny service. I change the oil about every 3 to 5k and it started using oil around 150k , though not visibly burning it.

It needs a whole new exhaust and struts , but i will probably only fix the exhaust as it is now the kids car. The awesome thing about it there is very little rust on it in an environment where salt is used pretty heavily in the winter months.

Great car and I still like driving it once in awhile.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
There's a joke in there somewhere

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top