Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:57:15 PM EDT
And how do you make people pay up?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Fifty thousand idiots with a dollar each are easier to find than one idiot with fifty thousand dollars.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch more Southpark OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fifty thousand idiots with a dollar each are easier to find than one idiot with fifty thousand dollars.

View Quote
True, although I've been well satisfied with the Kickstarters I've contributed to.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
True, although I've been well satisfied with the Kickstarters I've contributed to.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is Kickstarter?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Online begging.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only one ive done is wasteland 2 and was very pleased.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't already know you'll get 30% of your campaign in 3 days, don't bother.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you don't already know you'll get 30% of your campaign in 3 days, don't bother.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, if your name is "Sierra Nevada Arms", it's 100% profit, because you just don't bother to provide the product......
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
This was a good podcast on how to do a successful crowdfunding effort:

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is Kickstarter?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is Kickstarter?

You pitch your product, anyone can fund it, usually in different amounts for the promise of the first run of the product, and sometimes at a lower price than ideal retail.

After the funding period, if the goal is reached, then the money is withdrawn from everyone that backed and sent to the company to begin making and distributing the product.

Google it, and check it out, very interesting, and if you have an idea that a bunch of people will spend money on you can make some coin.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You pitch your product, anyone can fund it, usually in different amounts for the promise of the first run of the product, and sometimes at a lower price than ideal retail.

After the funding period, if the goal is reached, then the money is withdrawn from everyone that backed and sent to the company to begin making and distributing the product.

Google it, and check it out, very interesting, and if you have an idea that a bunch of people will spend money on you can make some coin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is Kickstarter?

Or you can screwed over after sending in a donation?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is Kickstarter?

Very rarely happens on kickstarter.

But hey, that's part of the risk of investing in a start up.

I actually was involved with one that dissolved after being funded, the money was refunded to everyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]
OK

A sucker is born every minute
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is Kickstarter?

Kickstarter does have SOME safeguards, but yeah, you could get screwed over.  Thus far, I have not, although one of the common things with Kickstarters is delays, sometimes quite lengthy, when the person running it doesn't fully grasp how long it can take to get manufacturing up and running.

I have backed 13 projects.

Two finished on time, and delivered exactly what I wanted.

One JUST finished (literally got the last of my rewards yesterday) the last phase of deliveries (there were three different waves of product).  First wave was a little late in delivery, second even moreso, third was waaaaay late.  But all were VERY high quality, and I'm well pleased with the end result.

Four are fully delivered and were just a little bit late.

Two were and are late, but are partially delivered (the base product is in hand, add ons are still to come)...which leads to another point about KS, as more and more money pours in, often there will be "stretch goals" for exceeding the target amount of money, either in the form of add ons which you buy and tack onto whatever your pledge reward is, or sometimes are just added to the pledge reward with no further charge.  The paid add ons, like the original product, are often substantially cheaper than they will be retail, and automatic add ons that you DON'T pay any extra for are just gravy, and often an excellent additional value to what is usually a good, discounted price to begin with.

Four of my pledges are not delivered at all, yet.  Some are only mildly delayed, others are taking a LOT of extra time.  But there's no projects I've pledged to that I don't believe I'll get fulfilled, even if late.
You may ask, why back them, particularly if they're so often late?  Well, the price break can be huge, in some cases.  The free add ons just sweeten the pot even more.  And while you might think "fuck that, if I like it I'll just buy it when it comes to market and is in stores", except that if it doesn't get enough funds raised, the product may NEVER exist at all.

It's worth getting on Kickstarter and poking around some, though, there's a lot of interesting projects on it, all the time.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK

View Quote

So what are you gonna try to sell?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll check it out

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK

Well I was looking for funds for business that would grow trees

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK

Try gofundme then.

Nothing gets funded on kickstarter if there isn't a product attached.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Try gofundme then.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK

Try gofundme then.

'

So with kickstarter its actual manufacturing?

With go fund me I just need to produce a product (like a certain type of tree)?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
'

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK

Try gofundme then.

'

You can start whatever you want on kickstarter, but people won't back it unless they are getting something from it.

Most people want a return on an investment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotcha.

Do people just surf kickstarter for projects?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

OK

View Quote
Not so much.  There is some risk if you choose to back but you have to accept that.  I was a backer of crowd funded video game, Elite: Dangerous.  The perk for being a backer was a few small in game items that gave backers a very small head start upon launch but that's not the reason I funded.  I backed because I wanted the game to happen and the developers took feed back from us when we had alpha access and were playing before launch.

We told them what we wanted to do in the game, what features we wanted etc and they for the most part made them happen.

It's a way for someone with a good idea but not enough money to share their idea with everyone else who agrees with them.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gotcha.

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's one, for example, that I'm looking at funding.  Yeah, those are some mighty expensive cards, so this one comes down to "Do I dig it enough to burn that money on this?", and I like decks of cards, particularly really neat ones, so maybe.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slykly/carbon-fiber-playing-cards-now-with-bulletproof-ke

This one funded back in October.  I wish I'd gotten in on it.  But, although I didn't, the product of the Kickstarter IS available now via the maker's online store.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cathryn/the-filmography-of-guns?ref=discovery

This looks really neat.  And reminds me that I need a 3d printer.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1545315380/atlas-3d-the-3d-scanner-you-print-and-build-yourse?ref=category
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why it's a donation, not an investment.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotcha.

Yep.

Thanks

What happens if you put up a project but it does not get funded?

Do you pay kickstarter?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duly noted
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thanks

Do you pay kickstarter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha.

Yep.

Thanks

Do you pay kickstarter?
I don't think so, but I haven't looked into it.  KS does take a cut of your funds on a successful KS campaign, though.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks

I will check them out now
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks

Do you pay kickstarter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotcha.

Yep.

Thanks

Do you pay kickstarter?

No.   They only get paid when the project gets funded.   Kickstarter gets 5% and the payment processing companies get 3-5%
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I was part of a succesful kickstarter that raised $50K+.

The day after the we funded my partner turned into a cunty bitch and went crazy.  

We're now in settlement talks, and because of how she choose to handle things it's about to get pretty ugly for her.

Crowd funding works... Just Google the Potatoe salad kickstarter, I know that dude too.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No.   They only get paid when the project gets funded.   Kickstarter gets 5% and the payment processing companies get 3-5%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotcha.

Yep.

Thanks

Do you pay kickstarter?

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The day after the we funded my partner turned into a cunty bitch and went crazy.  

We're now in settlement talks, and because of how she choose to handle things it's about to get pretty ugly for her.

Crowd funding works... Just Google the Potatoe salad kickstarter, I know that dude too.  
View Quote

I'd like to fund my tree growing project
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Well, if your name is "Sierra Nevada Arms", it's 100% profit, because you just don't bother to provide the product......
View Quote

true story..  X100,000
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Metric provided by one of the higher ups at indiegogo.  

They found that the vast majority of campaigns reached their goal if they got 30% of their funding in the first 3 days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is Kickstarter?

guy on Youtube I follow started this way.. Tactical Keychains..  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe give saplings to the backers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be the plan. Seedling trees given to the backers

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Step 1: Be a known name in the space game industry
Step 2: Decide to make a game
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Make $70,000,000

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I just searched around kick starter and it is pretty interesting.
Heard of it but never really looked around
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#44]
ive funded a few that I've been happy with.. Im still waiting on a bitching GoPro accessory ..  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Is it the same as gofundme?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was there a gun company that was able to do it? Most of the stuff I've seen didn't allow firearms related stuff. Kickstarter doesn't. The next two or three largest don't either. What did they do?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Send me a dollar.

Then I'll tell you.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Send me a dollar.

Then I'll tell you.

View Quote

I wonder if anyone has used kickstarter to fund a book that tells how to make money on crowd funding sites.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top