Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 7:37:43 PM EDT
Looking for something that I can buy locally at Walmart, Office Max or BestBuy, that is dependable and lasts. Starting in on replacing my second modem this weekend. Replaced the one I have now, about a year ago. Need a phone jack connection on the back of it and it does not need to be wireless. One port out to feed an external router is all that is required also.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-584157.html

Should be about ~$240, if you shop around. I'm assuming you have the appropriate Cisco router to toss it in.

You asked.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-584157.html

Should be about ~$240, if you shop around. I'm assuming you have the appropriate Cisco router to toss it in.

You asked.
View Quote

Oh Shtuff.

Uh, no. No Cisco router to go with it.

I have a router that the modem will be connected to but it isn`t Cisco brand.

Subnet, why you gotta` go and put a beatdown on us poor, average, non educated web surfers?

Well, if there is .Gov FSA financial aid for that piece of gear and the associated equipment that goes with it, I`m IN!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh Shtuff.

Subnet, why you gotta` go and put a beatdown on us poor, average, non educated web surfers?

Well, if there is .Gov FSA financial aid for that piece of gear and the associated equipment that goes with it, I`m IN!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You asked.

Oh Shtuff.

I'm posting half-sarcastically. Truth be told, I'm pretty much clueless on consumer/residential/SMB gear, and can't really offer an informed opinion. It's impossible to keep up with it, so I just go with what I use/know.

But if you were to ask "What would Subnet do?", what I posted is...well, what I'd do.

But that's me. And I'm a terrible tech role model, to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm posting half-sarcastically. Truth be told, I'm pretty much clueless on consumer/residential/SMB gear, and can't really offer an informed opinion. It's impossible to keep up with it, so I just go with what I use/know.

But if you were to ask "What would Subnet do?", what I posted is...well, what I'd do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You asked.

Oh Shtuff.

Subnet,
I have read some of your posts and I know to "Respect your authoritay"!

I am looking for something less than $100. The phone company that I got this last one from, was nowhere near the quality of what you have suggested.

Cisco is great gear. I won`t deny that. You know what you are talking about Good Sir!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Call your provider and see what is compatible.

Verizon uses Actiontec and D-Link.  Actiontec=good, D-Link=garbage can.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You asked.
View Quote

A 2651xm should be pretty cheap, I'd imagine.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Send me a pm next week.     If they dont want the one I have back you can have it. just pay the shipping

Its a Westell  A90  wireless with 4 out ports on it
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your advice sucks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Find a good used or new Netopia 3347-02. They are great dsl modems (Used by AT&T and Bellsouth) and can be easily setup to passthrough straight to your router.

They are all over internet at 10 - 30 bucks.

I have the passthrough setup instructions if you want them.

We do it a good bit with Cicso routers for VPN's

Latest firmware is 7.8.1r2. Got it too if you want it.

PS. For you guys that really like to play with this stuff and routers, go to DD-WRT. You can take a 30 dollar router and make it do amazing things. Warning: Very technical stuff.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your advice sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your advice sucks.

Indeed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top