Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 1/16/2015 5:54:14 PM EDT
I know it's a stereotype but why do older guys like Corvettes vs. younger people?

Also why do the majority of them drive it 5-10mph below the speed limit?

And why do they double park?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe because they've busted their ass their whole lives to make something of themselves and this is their reward??
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
couldn't afford one when they were in their 20s
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Because Corvettes are awesome?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it because they haven't been financially secure enough until later in life to afford one?

Or, do they really think it's a chick magnet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Because they've wanted one all there life and can finally afford the fucking thing!

I've wanted one since before I could drive.  Only now am I getting close to maybe buying a used one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
all 3 first replies

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This exactly
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because they've wanted one all there life and can finally afford the fucking thing!

I've wanted one since before I could drive.  Only now am I getting close to maybe buying a used one.
View Quote

Buy an MG instead!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe because they've busted their ass their whole lives to make something of themselves and this is their reward??
View Quote

not worth the lifetime effort.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Buy an MG instead!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy an MG instead!

Who the hell wants to fix some POS every other day when they get middle age?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm middle age, could go pay cash for one today but I don't like them that well and have no one to impress. I would rather have a new truck or, for the cost of a Corvette, I could but another rental property that would actually make me money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand that, but why a Corvette versus other options? Just curious
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Because that's about the demographic that can afford a vehicle with a starting MSRP of $54k.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
So you don't notice their pot bellies and combovers.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Dunno.

I've owned one since my mid 20's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not? They're a pretty good bang for the buck performance wise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I double park my car.

What's it to ya?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the Corvette is a fucking boss of a sports car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Trying to recapture their youth.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it because they haven't been financially secure enough until later in life to afford one?

View Quote

Most women are repulsed by Corvettes if it is the "chick magnet" route
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy an MG instead!

This!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Why do people obsess over Corvette owners so much?

I don't have one.  I'd like to have one.  I'm almost 45.  I have two kids about to start driving.

I guess that puts off me thinking of buying one for a few years.

So I guess I'm smack dab in the middle of your demographic OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few reasons, they are easy to maintain, inexpensive to service and repair, very affordable new and used, made in 'Murica by 'Muricans, Fast, Great fuel mileage for a sports car, huge number of after market options, GILF;s love them.

What's your next choice? Viper? not cheap and not cheap to fix, GT, that's going to be at least 225k, F360? 90k, Only other thing that is going to be fast and upfront cost is going to be a Maserati, then the parts and service is going to be pricey.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

First hand experience on your part?

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much, dollar for dollar there isn't anything better, and that's looking at all aspects. Don't even try to bring racing heritage into the argument, When the vettes show up at the 24hrs of LeMans they make all the Euro cars their beyotch.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the wrong women, but the hot 40-50+ crowd knows what's up. Those are the one's that know how to party.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep.
always wanted one, can finally afford the car and the insurance.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought mine right after I turned 27, and drove it like I stole it.  I was 26 when I ordered it.  I was the small, small, very small minority.  I always hated the old guys that drove slower than my grandmother and put all the gay Chrome inlay stickers, axle covers with Vette symbol on it and stick on louvers on the tail lights.  These exact same people are the reason I will never buy another Corvette again, I dont care how fast they can make plastic go.  It'll be Porsche for me from now on
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

C5, C6, or C7?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

I plan on buying one before I hit 35, so all you young lads can live vicariously through me while you drive your mini vans around town.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought mine right after I turned 27, and drove it like I stole it.  I was 26 when I ordered it.  I was the small, small, very small minority.  I always hated the old guys that drove slower than my grandmother and put all the gay Chrome inlay stickers, axle covers with Vette symbol on it and stick on louvers on the tail lights.  These exact same people are the reason I will never buy another Corvette again, I dont care how fast they can make plastic go.  It'll be Porsche for me from now on
View Quote

At least you drove the car like it meant to be driven. I rarely ever see one actually drive. That's why it makes me think most people buy it as a status symbol to cruise around under the speed limit

There's a guy in his 50s that just bought one of the new ones around here but drives it like a Buick
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

what chassis P car?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

C5, C6, or C7?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

C5, C6, or C7?

For me it will be a C6.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Because I can't afford a real sports/race car like a Porsche 911 Turbo S, GTS.

Screw those jerks double parking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I double park my car.

What's it to ya?
View Quote

If you do it out in the far end of the lot nothing...

If you go douche style don't be surprised to see the passenger side of my ratty ranger 3 inches from your driver door.

Just my little way of saying "Fuck you" to douche nozzles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe because they have more money and less testosterone than the average 20-something, so they won't wreck it within the first few hours of driving it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Double parks a vehicle thats old as me... almost..
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Because they can't afford a Porsche?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I had several when i was in my early 20's.  I get my thrills from a motorcycle now.....a bit more visceral.  
Even if the wife wanted to buy me one now i'd say no .....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Go find a $25-$30 K really nice low mileage used Vette [easy to do] and another new meh [lets say a new Ford Taurus] ride that costs the same. See which one those 40-50 year old divorced females would rather ride in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#42]
this vette "cong"  never saw a public parking lot.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

And maybe some of them enlisted at the age of 18 and volunteered for Vietnam not knowing what the fuck they were doing and having only 15 dollars in their pocket because they gave all of their savings from bagging groceries for two years to their mother because their father was a drunk and gambler who lost all of his paychecks at the local American legion facility.

And maybe they survived Vietnam, unlike five of their friends who came home in bodybags,  and made the military a career because being in changed them so much they no longer fit in civilian life.

And maybe years later they retired as a regular officer and went on to become a successful research scientist and college professor.  

And maybe they then paid cash for a corvette, after all of that, because they felt they rated one.  

And, maybe, after a few years, they gave the corvette to their only son and they bought a red 1965 mustang and restored it and enjoyed the 1965 mustang much more than the corvette anyway.  

OP, does this answer your question?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I drive mine at 2x the speed limit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#45]
What makes guys with the username of gym007 post retarded shit on internet message boards?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I've always wanted a fast car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you go douche style don't be surprised to see the passenger side of my ratty ranger 3 inches from your driver door.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I double park my car.

What's it to ya?

That's the key.

Although some angry god will just send a rogue shopping cart into your fender anyway, so it's not even worth the walk.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to want one, but I am happy with my 06 Tundra.  It's paid for, reliable, and drives nice.  That is good enough for me.  I went the route of getting in shape for my midlife "crisis" (misnomer because I never felt like my life was in a crisis).  I decided I would rather just be fit and healthy and do all the things I enjoy doing outside.  If some dude wants to drive his corvette and that makes him feel good, then more power to him.  If he double parks we all know he is a douchebag and the corvette did little to nothing to help his self image or hapiness.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And maybe some of them enlisted at the age of 18 and volunteered for Vietnam not knowing what the fuck they were doing and having only 15 dollars in their pocket because they gave all of their savings from bagging groceries for two years to their mother because their father was a drunk and gambler who lost all of his paychecks at the local American legion facility.

And maybe they survived Vietnam, unlike five of their friends who came home in bodybags,  and made the military a career because being in changed them so much they no longer fit in civilian life.

And maybe years later they retired as a regular officer and went on to become a successful research scientist and college professor.  

And maybe they then paid cash for a corvette, after all of that, because they felt they rated one.  

And, maybe, after a few years, they gave the corvette to their only son and they bought a red 1965 mustang and restored it and enjoyed the 1965 mustang much more than the corvette anyway.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your service.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I used to want one, but I am happy with my 06 Tundra.  It's paid for, reliable, and drives nice.  That is good enough for me.  I went the route of getting in shape for my midlife "crisis" (misnomer because I never felt like my life was in a crisis).  I decided I would rather just be fit and healthy and do all the things I enjoy doing outside.  If some dude wants to drive his corvette and that makes him feel good, then more power to him.  If he double parks we all know he is a douchebag and the corvette did little to nothing to help his self image.
View Quote

Q: How many times can you live?
A: Once

Buy the vette.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top