Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 2:08:07 PM EDT
Fat people rejoice!  You can now point at your skinny peers and laugh because they will die before you if they don't exercise and you do.  

Story Link

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – Lack of exercise may cause twice as many deaths as obesity, a new study finds.

Researchers out of the University of Cambridge in Britain found that as little as a 20-minute daily walk can help prevent heart attacks.

“Just a small amount of physical activity each day could have substantial health benefits for people who are physically inactive,” Ulf Ekelund, a professor at the University of Cambridge said in a statement obtained by The Oregonian.  “Physical activity has many proven health benefits and should be an important part of our daily lives.”

<Continued in link>
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Bullshit, fat fucks don't move. They are double fucked.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that obesity was caused by the lack of exercise........
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
So fat people exercise, and skinny people don't?

Duly noted.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fat people rejoice!  You can now point at your skinny peers and laugh because they will die before you if they don't exercise and you do.  

Story Link

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta) – Lack of exercise may cause twice as many deaths as obesity, a new study finds.

Researchers out of the University of Cambridge in Britain found that as little as a 20-minute daily walk can help prevent heart attacks.

“Just a small amount of physical activity each day could have substantial health benefits for people who are physically inactive,” Ulf Ekelund, a professor at the University of Cambridge said in a statement obtained by The Oregonian.  “Physical activity has many proven health benefits and should be an important part of our daily lives.”

<Continued in link>
View Quote

Yeah, spending an hour each day walking back and forth to the refrigerator isn't going to help prevent heart attacks.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, spending an hour each day walking back and forth to the refrigerator isn't going to help prevent heart attacks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story Link

<Continued in link>

What the study is saying is there is a larger correlation between health and exercise than there is between health and weight.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What the study is saying is there is a larger correlation between health and exercise than there is between health and weight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story Link

<Continued in link>

So what's the correlation between exercise and weight?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story Link

<Continued in link>

Very little? Weight is more dependent on diet.

Study isn't groundbreaking. They based "obesity" on BMI. I'm "obese" with a BMI of 30 because I lift heavy 4 times a week. A breakdown of their results would be more telling.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So fat people exercise, and skinny people don't?

Duly noted.
View Quote

That's hardly what the article says.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The track coach of my HS dropped dead of a heart attack. He was the fittest and skinniest man I knew.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're fat AND don't exercise are you doubly fucked? In that case ARFCOM is in a hell of a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The track coach of my HS dropped dead of a heart attack and he was the fittest and skinniest man I knew.
View Quote

Good thing there are no other risk factors for heart attacks.  

Article disproved.

Science'd!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I look fit but know I'm not in the best shape like I used to be. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
So, according to the article one 20 minute walk will reduce a premature death by 30 percent.  I think I got that out of the way when I was six!

The researchers also found that a 20-minute walk can help reduce the risk of a premature death by up to 30 percent.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that obesity was caused by the lack of exercise........
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be amazed at the amount of fat runners I know.

Calories in, Calories out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story Link

<Continued in link>

E=MC2+(-87/five) over 23 multiplied by -eleventy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah we do!  I was doing week long backpacking trips at 340lbs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Just stop and think for a minute about how many more people you hear about dying of a heart attack while running than dying of a heart attack while sitting on a bar stool.

THAT'S science.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm a fatty fat ass and I'm in the gym 5 or 6 days a week.  But I like food.  It don't make me a bad person.

Cholesterol and blood pressure are fine.  I'm pretty healthy.  I've got about 25 or 30 pounds to lose.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Well damn.  I sure am glad that someone (probably tax payers) paid good money for a study to determine that exercise is healthier than sitting on your ass! Now, with some additional funding, they might be able to draw a link between obese people and the lack of exercise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I am "fat" and I exercise regularly. I know plenty of "skinny" people who never work out and smoke a ton as well.

Quoted:
I'm a fatty fat ass and I'm in the gym 5 or 6 days a week.  But I like food.  It don't make me a bad person.

Cholesterol and blood pressure are fine.  I'm pretty healthy.  I've got about 25 or 30 pounds to lose.
View Quote

That pretty well describes me.

I ran a 10k last year, finished in the top 10%. I weighed 242 lbs at the time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Study isn't groundbreaking. They based "obesity" on BMI. I'm "obese" with a BMI of 30 because I lift heavy 4 times a week. A breakdown of their results would be more telling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story Link

<Continued in link>

This.

Get on "The Zone" diet with moderate exercise and the pounds will evaporate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy your double-knee replacement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nail on head.  This study should lead its authors to the conclusion that the measurement of obesity is imperfect.  

Heart attacks aren't caused by sludge building up in arteries, as much as that model appeals to our common experiences.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you're right, he should probably stop exercising. Would that make you feel better?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn. Thought I was G2G..
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Article disproved.

Science'd!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The track coach of my HS dropped dead of a heart attack and he was the fittest and skinniest man I knew.

Article disproved.

Science'd!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  McDonalds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Jim Fixx agrees with you.  Wait........
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oh you're right, he should probably stop exercising. Would that make you feel better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that what I said?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is that what I said?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that what I said?

Humor.. i has it.

Luckily the Lord blessed be with two fantastic knees.  I am down to 270 now anyways and still going.

at 300+ my only danger was not wearing out a part of my body, it was hurting myself doing what everyone else could.  For example.  Hiking across a snow field in the perfectly good footsteps of 30 other people before me, I was big enough to exceed the shear strength of packed snow and would post hole when everyone else floated over it.  Always bled when I would go through to the rocks below.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought gun and cigerettes caused all of the deaths
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh, I know some heavies who exercise a decent bit but just eat too much. Truth be told, I'm pretty much one of them. We'll see how much once I'm off this damn prednisone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top