Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/16/2015 1:06:40 PM EDT
A retired AF COL had my house built in 1954.  His daughter came to my door when we first moved in to let me know she appreciates the flag flying outside.

The next was a diver who worked on oil rigs in the south.  He died in an diving accident.

The last was a general contractor who went to jail for fraud.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I am the first and only owner of my home (well the bank is).
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The guy left enough trash in the shop and storage building I had a big bonfire . He also came back and took the mailbox after I took possession of the house , He used to work for the railroad . had 2 kids
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
She's bigger than me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]

They moved.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I built my home. Owned the dirt before hand.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quite a bit
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I married her.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Catholic Mexicans. Still have the glow-in-the-dark crucifixes mounted on front and back doors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I had my last two houses built new.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I built my home. Owned the dirt before hand.
View Quote

Came here to post this...........
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Found a their bug out stash of supplies and documents.  Very amateur job hiding it.  Even had their PHD in there for some reason.

I have found everything from matchbox card to tools in the flowerbeds.

And a wiffle ball in the septic tank.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Bitter divorce sale, so I got a steal instead of the judge threatening to sell it on the courthouse steps.
Dude was a cheap-ass who picked contractors based on price rather than skill, licensing, or doing the job right. Whenever I start a project, I end up ripping out a bunch of stuff to make it right rather than working around it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Old couple.  Raised 3 songs in it.  He died in it.  She wasn't ready to let it go, so it sat on the market for over a year and I'm told that she turned down several better offers prior to accepting ours.  She fell and broke her hip about the time we made our offer which helped her son's convince her that it was time to move on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Previous owner was a single 30-ish woman, OK but not hot. Her dad was a general contractor. She did some remodeling and has excellent taste - we've lived there five years and have changed very little in the house.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty sure the previous owner was the first owner of the house.

Wife was a real estate agent, husband was a carpenter. Two kids, who grew up in the house all the way until they left home.

Husband must have had a drinking problem, because nothing in this house is straight, plumb, or level. Wife must have gotten disbarred or the equivalent; she works out of state now.

And knew all the tricks of hiding problems from the inspector.

Fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
A couple moved from out of state to here in 1976 and built the house.  Owned it until about 2000 when they sold it to a cop, whom I purchased it from in 2007.

Trivia:  Next door neighbor is the son-in-law of first owners.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm the original owner of my house it was a cornfield before the developer bought it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#22]
The husband and wife were nudists who worked at the pentagon and ran a side business boarding horses on the property. They would be naked outside of the house which was not hidden from the neighbors view nor the view of a major interstate intersection. They invited some of the neighbors over for hanky panky and skinny dipped in a small above ground pool with the wife's mother. They moved to Georgia or Florida to start a nude offshore fishing boat.

This information was verified independently from several neighbors as well as inspectors that have been to the house since I have lived here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Dude and his ole lady divorcing. She lived there , he didnt.

Sall i remember , that was 20 years ago. She was pretty good looking .
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm currently living in a house that was owned by one of my local sheriff's.  He didn't know how to up keep a house or didn't have time.  I've got a lot of things to "fix" because they weren't properly maintained.  And how the guy used these lo-flow toilets he had installed is beyond me.  They can't handle my 4 y/o's turds, let alone a full size man log.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Previous owner was the estate of the deceased previous owner.  That wasn't the problem.  Problem was the executor was letting his kids live there free of charge.  Couple were worthless, white trash idiots.  We are in the final stages of renovation now after 15 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
She died (breast cancer) less than 2 years after she had the house custom built. It sat vacant for 2 years before we bought it 15 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#27]
All I know is he sucked at soldering copper water pipe  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#28]
The most recent were extremely religious.  When I came to look at the house, they had a Bible splayed out on the kitchen table with candles, like an altar.  They even had their pastor "bless" the house.  They had religious pictures everywhere.

The owners before that were kind of rough.  I found a syringe hidden in the garage above a door jam.  There are oil stains and kickstand marks on the wood floor where someone parked a motorcycle. They screwed all of the windows shut.  The neighbors tell me they were happy to see them go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Married couple, both shrinks, with an autistic son.

Wife was batshit crazy.  They refused to provide keys at closing, so I drove through the gate, broke it, to get the locksmith in, and had the locks changed while they desperately tried to get their shit out.  Escrow was closed and the place was legally mine. I gave them till 8pm, after which anything inside was mine.  Damn near got a 200gal fish tank.

Dumbfuck woman followed me out into the front yard to scream at me.

Neighbors brought me cookies the next day, as they were all glad to see her go. Her neighborhood nickname was Broomhilda.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#30]
The guy that started to build our house and did not finish it killed himself
a few years after we bought the house from him. We are the first and only people that have lived here.

We thought we had a deal to buy the property next to our house from the same guy but he welshed

on the deal and for years he tried to sell it for a very inflated price. After he got tired of living we bought the property from

some of his heirs for the same money we had offered him years before.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#32]
No such thing, but my previous home was owned by some lesbians.  They left a book, hidden above the MB closet, called "How to Talk Dirty to Your Partner".

ETA: I think I got a dollar for it when I took a bunch of used books to Powell's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm the only owner of my home since it was built.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#34]
He was a home builder and built our house as his "forever house" but went through a nasty divorce.  His loss was our gain.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#35]
He:  Retired FBI
She:  Lawyer
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#36]
retired widower. catholic. didnt tell the alarm company he was moving. didnt tell post office he was moving.

pack rat for handy useful things.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#37]
He was the builder for the subdivision.  He was letting his son live in the house for a few years, then he refreshed the interior and sold it to me.  It was almost like buying a new house.  His son ran some kind of business our of the house, because I still get junk mail for him with his business name on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#38]
It was built in 1825 by General Custer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same. On this house and my previous which I now rent out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#40]
They never put up Christmas lights. Never. I had a blank canvas; no nails, hooks, whatever. And they never talked to their neighbors. Sounds like a happy crew.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#41]
The guy that I bought it from grew dope in the basement.

When I moved in, there were fluorescent lights fixtures on pulleys and a halogen fire extinguisher system still in place.

Naturally, all of that was removed immediately.

My real estate agent was an ex-cop. She told me she knew the guy and he apparently was a fairly large supplier of pot in the area.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He:  Retired FBI
She:  Lawyer
View Quote

Do you have a metal detector
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Previous owner was one of the town cops, when I started basement renovation this past summer I found a few naked pictures of his then 20 something son, but even more pictures of some of his female friends One of the ladies still lives in town and I see her around pretty regularly, she still looks good 20+ years later. I keep wondering how she would react if I told her I've seen her naked
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I know things were done differently "back then"
but the couple that owned our house raised 6 kids in it
its a fairly small house... perfect for just the two of us
how they managed 8 people under the same roof is crazy

my awesome neighbors raised 8 kids
so 10 people in a similar square footage
when they have family gatherings they take up the entire neighborhood lol

ETA: quirky thing I found...
giant window AC unit in the living room plugged into a 220 plug installed in the wall AC unit looked like it had been there for 15 years or more
plug has no wiring run to it...  no evidence of wiring ever being there, no holes in the framing, no nothing
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#45]
He was a plumber, but nowhere near an electrician.  Sub panel installed in detached garage with two hots and a ground, no neutral.  Never got a permit.  Burried in Schedule 40 PVC 6" below yard and rock driveway.  First project next spring as I crushed the pipe with my tractor and one of the phases went out.

He also loved to shop at Menards.  Everything in the house came from there, we're slowly getting it all fixed as stuff breaks.  But hey, the plumbing is great!  All PEX with a manifold in the basement to shutoff individual rooms (bath(s), kitchen, laundry, etc).
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Previous owner died in the house. bought it from his daughter(mid 50's)
All the neighbors were glad i moved in, seems the old guy liked harassing all the old women in the hood.
was doing yard work one day and some woman stops and thanks me for moving in
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#48]
They went to a Fundy church, husband was a ham. Wife had horrible taste in colors, one room was so much pastel it looked like the easter bunny jizzed on the wall.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#49]
House was built by a dentist in the 60s.
The dentist was really well known in the area, was an incredible basketball/football player.  Played in the Rose Bowl for University of Pittsburgh.  Has a basketball tournament at the local college named after him.  He was friends with MANY well known college football players and coaches (including Paterno/Sandusky) and used to have big parties at the house.
Ended up turning part of the basement into his dentist office, ran it for years.
He passed away and his wife, a tough cookie, lived here alone for many years.  She was pretty salty - she was once frying bacon in the kitchen and a black bear came up onto the patio to the door.  She got a broom handle and beat it til it ran off.
They raised a son in the house.

She was getting up in years and could not live alone, so the son - took her to come live with him.  House was empty for 5 years before we bought it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Our home is 80 years old, so it's had several owners. I did have a previous owner stop by one day with her granddaughter and inform me that the homes original owner haunts the house. She then went into some stories of encounters with the original owner's ghost/spirit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top