Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2015 4:06:30 AM EDT
4 hours left of this hell. I have been sitting in this chair all day, I can't stay awake. Help me arfcom
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what that is, but good luck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a nap. No one will mind.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Start yelling at the wall demanding it to lay it's ID on the ground and back up 15 paces.  You'll get relieved of your duty early
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
4 hours left of this hell. I have been sitting in this chair all day, I can't stay awake. Help me arfcom
View Quote

What, you can't get up and go looking for trouble? Aren't there Charges of Quarters you can go harass?

Staff duty sucks balls, especially when you have to work the next damn day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Just imagine you're floating.. floating through the mildly warm sky and you see a cloud.. a fluffy cloud...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What, you can't get up and go looking for trouble? Aren't there Charges of Quarters you can go harass?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battalion HQ is separate from all the battery barracks, so I can't go anywhere. Thankfully I get tomorrow off, even though it's a holiday. I don't have to go to any formations though. But we might be having a G.I. party in the morning
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:15:18 AM EDT
[#7]
dude, thats why i got into cid, no more of that shit! good luck man!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Save you?

Rack monster biting your ass, or just bored with surfing the net?

Have you snuck around the Barracks and company offices yet?
Entertainment can always be scared up if ya try.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Battalion HQ is separate from all the battery barracks, so I can't go anywhere. Thankfully I get tomorrow off, even though it's a holiday. I don't have to go to any formations though. But we might be having a G.I. party in the morning
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF? Who checks on the CQ, then? Surely not the SDO? I'm assuming you're the SDNCO, right?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.I. Party?
On a Holiday Friday?

That's messed up even for Doggies.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting Enough, I am Also on Staff Duty...The nasuea has set in from eating a whole bag of chips ahoy cookies and a quart of milk ( made cookie cereal ) THEN putting in a huge Dip....all the while singing New Kids on the Block to my Runner...Just remember Boys and Girls SHARP is the #1 Priority
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Save you?

View Quote

We can't sneak around without getting caught. The staff duty NCO is really cool though and he let us have our phones once all the officers left. We have been watching Netflix as well. It could be worse
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#13]
sure rock out to this

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Ah,...memories of being a teenaged SDNCO runner.....

"Charlie Company, First of the Seventh Cav', this is an unsecured line, how can I help you?!"

LOL
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

G.I. Party?
On a Holiday Friday?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.I. Party?
On a Holiday Friday?

The idiots in first platoon lost the supply closet key, and I room with some soldiers in 1st so I'm kind of screwed
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The idiots in first platoon lost the supply closet key, and I room with some soldiers in 1st so I'm kind of screwed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.I. Party?
On a Holiday Friday?

Must be a New Army thing.
Not a Hudini in the whole platoon?
It sounds like somebody wanted to hit town on Thursday night.
That sucks!!!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, imagine Rosie O'Donnel's bare ass. That will keep you awake for fear of nightmares!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Ah yes reminds me of my days back at Fort Carson (C CO 2/12).  I never had "staff duty", but I did my fair share of barracks/company CQ, (pretty much the same thing) which was 24 hour shifts.  It wasn't bad during a duty week because you had the next day off, the worst is when you have it on a friday or saturday.  When I got back from deployment in 08, my last 90 days they liked to stick me on it, just about every weekend it seemed.  I remember I was on 3 days of terminal leave, that friday morning (Monday was my actual ETS date) I was getting onto I70 East heading back home to Ohio, my phone rings, it was some butter bar LT, who I never heard of, that was working staff duty tell me " we need you to come in for CQ", I pretty much told him where to stick it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember when my Dad was OOD of the MP Bn. at Ft. Riley.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Since you're in AIT, how about reading your 6-30 until you can recite the 6 Elements of a Call-for-Fire and your 15 Subsequent Corrections in your sleep.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly is the stated purpose of having a staff duty presence every night, if you can't even supervise the Bn?

"Answering phones" was always the BS reason in the '90s, but that was before ubiquitous cellphone presence.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
What, exactly, is "battalion staff duty"? We pulled 24-hour duty, but we were allowed to sleep as long as we A) were next to the phone and always answered it and B) made a few rounds during the night to make sure everything was secure.

ETA: That was different from barracks duty, and you did have to be awake and in the office for that. Of course, there were at least two folks on duty so you could switch off and get some shuteye.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What, exactly, is "battalion staff duty"? We pulled 24-hour duty, but we were allowed to sleep as long as we A) were next to the phone and always answered it and B) made a few rounds during the night to make sure everything was secure.

ETA: That was different from barracks duty, and you did have to be awake and in the office for that. Of course, there were at least two folks on duty so you could switch off and get some shuteye.
View Quote

Pretty much what you described, its basically CQ but on the battalion level.  They walk around to all the company barracks checking on the guys pulling CQ.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Since you're in AIT, how about reading your 6-30 until you can recite the 6 Elements of a Call-for-Fire and your 15 Subsequent Corrections in your sleep.
View Quote

I'm not in a class yet. There were too many of us. nasty girls get priority and then it goes by last name. I get classed on Tuesday. I already know the 6 elements of the call for fire and the 15 subs though
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Use to get SDO for some reason after just about every long field exercise back in the day at my barrack's in Radland. "Let the Crazy begin". SDNCO and runner can suck unless you had me as SDO. I would always send them two out a lurking. I would always make my driver pull SD with me then I would give him the next 2 days off and I would do our recovery, pull pmcs and so forth. Became a running joke when the BN CO/XO would see me on SD the look on thier faces was like "O" hell no what crazynesss will happen to night. Good times.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pretty much what you described, its basically CQ but on the battalion level.  They walk around to all the company barracks checking on the guys pulling CQ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this, but since I'm just a PFC i just sit around until the NCO leaves to do his checks. That's when I sit by the phone that never rings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Suck it up, I'm at work until 0600 and have to work the weekend too.  
When I retired from active duty I said I wanted a normal job, and I still have weird screwed up hours, but I do get paid better.

Carry on.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#29]

It's 0316, I haven't been to bed yet, and I'm surfing & posting on Arfcom.

Who's got weird hours?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Suck it up, I'm at work until 0600 and have to work the weekend too.  
When I retired from active duty I said I wanted a normal job, and I still have weird screwed up hours, but I do get paid better.

Carry on.

View Quote

Let me complain damnit!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Write a few GD thread titles into your 1594.

Pee outside the HQ.

Leave random post it notes in a couple of offices with some shit to do.

Call all CQ's for a Green 2.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just imagine you're floating.. floating through the mildly warm sky and you see a cloud.. a fluffy cloud...
View Quote

And light some aroma therapy candles.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Save you?

View Quote

Back when I pulled staff duty runner, there was no internet.  You sat there and watched the paint dry between rounds.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Back when I pulled staff duty runner, there was no internet.  You sat there and watched the paint dry between rounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Save you?

No shit, same here.  But we did get the following day off no matter what.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. If you're bored you're doing it wrong. Go order pizza or harass barracks drunks or something.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Shit, back in the day when I had CQ we would play Axis and Allies or Risk.  Usually when the Brigade SDO or SDNCO came through, they would hang out for a while.

Weekend CQ sucked ass.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#37]
*RING RING*

"Quarterdeck, Seaman Stain."

"..."

*Blames Fire Watch*
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
we played hours of spades on duty
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Screw you OP!  Back in my day we didn't have the internet to keep us occupied on duty.  Consider yourself lucky.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Sucks...always hated staff duty
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Phone never rings until your runner is out and you have bubble guts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Go haze the barracks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#43]
When your name came up for SDO, we would report at 1700 after being on duty all day, do the SDO shit all night, and then back to the Co the next morning.

This one time on SDO, some dude called me about 0600 stating the helicopter we had ordered would be there at 0730.  Great, log it in the log book.  Bn XO shows up about 0700.  I tell him helicopter is on the way for 0730.  Shit, was his reply.  He call Bn Co (Barry McCaffrey, later 4 star general and Clinton Drug Czar).  Mccaffrey says that was supposed to be cancelled.  Hey, I'm just a 2LT and the SDO, I know shit about it.  But we (the BN) will get in trouble for ordering a helicopter for a mission that we don't need.  Okay, I'm just a 2Lt who has now been on duty 24 hours and don't give a rat's ass.  The answer?  Send me on the trip to visit C Co that is in Garmisch for adventure training.  I had to take a 3 hour helo flight to Garmisch, look around, eat lunch and then fly 3 hours back to Schweinfurt so the Bn wouldn't take a hit for not using the helicopter they forgot to cancel. All this after being on staff duty all night.

Ask me about the alert message fuck ups. A real opportunity to excel with those.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When your name came up for SDO, we would report at 1700 after being on duty all day, do the SDO shit all night, and then back to the Co the next morning.

This one time on SDO, some dude called me about 0600 stating the helicopter we had ordered would be there at 0730.  Great, log it in the log book.  Bn XO shows up about 0700.  I tell him helicopter is on the way for 0730.  Shit, was his reply.  He call Bn Co (Barry McCaffrey, later 4 star general and Clinton Drug Czar).  Mccaffrey says that was supposed to be cancelled.  Hey, I'm just a 2LT and the SDO, I know shit about it.  But we (the BN) will get in trouble for ordering a helicopter for a mission that we don't need.  Okay, I'm just a 2Lt who has now been on duty 24 hours and don't give a rat's ass.  The answer?  Send me on the trip to visit C Co that is in Garmisch for adventure training.  I had to take a 3 hour helo flight to Garmisch, look around, eat lunch and then fly 3 hours back to Schweinfurt so the Bn wouldn't take a hit for not using the helicopter they forgot to cancel. All this after being on staff duty all night.

Ask me about the alert message fuck ups. A real opportunity to excel with those.
View Quote

Special
High
Intensity
Training

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Ring  RIng.  SDO?  This is the Division SDO, code word November Xray 31, call the Bn. Commander and announce a Division alert, EDRE(Emergency Readyness exercise),  what is your code word reply?  Code word is in the SDO book.  Call out the battalion and began the exercise NOW!!!

You know you want to do it!!

Call the Division SDO and began the XVIII Airborne Corps alert, do it now!!  You know you want to do it!!

Send the XVIII Airborne Corps to Timbuckto, you know you want to do it.
They will be so panic stricken that no one will verify and the whole world will turn up side down.

if the SDO is out making rounds the pvt. e 2 runner can began the alert.  
Its not your fault and no one can pin it on you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer to GI parties is to not open your door. If I was off, or it was a holiday, I would not answer my door, ever. My friends knew to text me before they came to my room, otherwise I'd not even bother checking to see who it was. That policy kept me from from picking up a lot of cigarette butts on weekends. I don't smoke, so I'll be goddamned if I'm picking up other peoples bad choices.

Edit. Never mind, trainee, you're fucked. Have fun cleaning
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not in a class yet. There were too many of us. nasty girls get priority and then it goes by last name. I get classed on Tuesday. I already know the 6 elements of the call for fire and the 15 subs though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the shit?! You're in AIT and you have internet access? Why aren't you doing monkey fuckers?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

"Charlie Company, First of the Seventh Cav', this is an unsecured line, how can I help you?!"

LOL
View Quote

And they always yell it as fast as possible into the phone so the caller has no idea what you just said
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And they always yell it as fast as possible into the phone so the caller has no idea what you just said
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

And half the time the caller had the wrong number, so you finish your spiel to be greeted by dead air on the other end of the line.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Cancel that, your pulling a Battalion HQ, CQ.

Your fucked. Maybe do a bomb threat or something.

ETA: Company CQ is where all the fun is at.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top