Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2015 10:43:04 PM EDT
I'm watching Airplane Repo on the Discovery Channel and Kevin Lacey is at an airport he has a restraining order at due to an issue with repossessing an air plane earlier.

Anyway the air port was having an air show and he used that as a cover to look at this plane he was to repo. He runs into the air port manager, and she knew what plane they were after, because the owner hadn't paid them for 6 months of hanger rentals. So, she ends up helping him.

As she walks away he says we need to do this fast because I don't trust her any more than the guy I the White House.

I wonder how one can get in this business. Seems like it would be fun and pays well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I wonder how one can get in this business. Seems like it would be fun and pays well.
View Quote

Be a pilot and an actor..... some of those are pretty far fetched.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
"Reality" TV

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
That shit is soooo fake.

Nobody just rushes up to an airplane, fires it up and takes off.

There is a lot of prep involved.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
So the guys just gets in and "steals" the plane?  I can't figure out which ones off the top of my head, but that's gotta break some of the FAR rules.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Pardon me while I just stroll onto this abandoned air field, open the unlocked hangar and steal this unguarded airplane which has the keys in it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pardon me while I just stroll onto this abandoned air field, open the unlocked hangar and steal this unguarded airplane which has the keys in it.
View Quote

The keys are usually in one of those magnet things, stuck under the wing.

You may have seen pilots out there looking for them before the flight.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If the doors unlocked no key required in Turbines and jets. Most piston twins as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
As A pilot, the only reason I watch it is for the planes. Well that, and to criticize the stupid
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That shit is soooo fake.

View Quote

I've seen a couple of episodes where they needed a couple of days maintenance to get it airworthy before taking off.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Flight plan be damned!

<cue music>
OFF we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun...
</cue music>
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually watching it right now. Some of it is stupid, but I wouldn't mind repo'ing boats, motorcycles and planes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've seen a couple of episodes where they needed a couple of days maintenance to get it airworthy before taking off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That shit is soooo fake.

That sounds more like real life.

I swear I caught a glimpse of an episode where he took off in a little Cessna or something and then ran out of gas.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
It used to be better when they didnt have the fake drama.  I think it was probably going to be one of those few shows in series filler shows but they needed to extend it.  All the fake drama has made it like all the other fake reality shows.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you seen the one where the guy parachutes to an adjacent field and sets some lights for his buddy to land a plane ? They then hike thru the woods to the airfield and get three planes from a " military " group. They could have just driven there.
Or the guy that got a plane that was being used to traffic reptiles ? The repo guy hooked up with his buddy game warden and set up a sting to arrest the traffickers. After the sting the game warden gives repo guy the reptiles to keep at his reptile farm in Fla. Totally realistic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's probably the most realistic part of the show
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That shit is soooo fake.

View Quote
This.

I witnessed a wide body get repoed and there was so much that went into it. The pilots, crew and passengers found out that the company had suspended all flights when they landed. They had to find their own way home. The crew was so pissed that they stripped all of the manuals and logbooks and fled to a hotel.

The company who leased the aircraft lawyered up and sent a crew halfway around the world to fly their bird home. Even the entertainment devices were leased and that company came calling too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't say I know anything about airplane repos.

But it seems to me I wouldn't be overeager to attempt to fly a plane at first sight that belonged to somebody that wasn't making payments. If they aren't paying for the plane, I wouldn't think they'd be paying for maintenance on the thing and I wouldn't want to find out a few thousand feet above the ground.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw a commercial for used planes, but these were repossessed planes. I would not want to be an airplane repossession man.  Those things would be hard to sneak away.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have spent a little time with Kevin Lacy at Wings Over Houston, two years ago. Pretty cool dude and while the circumstances of the repos may be recreations he seems pretty real. He hired the airport manager, she's a pilot and took one of the Twin Otters they repoed. Course flying a Twin Otter is like flying a C172 on steroids.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Actually watching it right now. Some of it is stupid, but I wouldn't mind repo'ing boats, motorcycles and planes.
View Quote

Pffft. Good luck with the boats. Most I see repoe'd have been neglected and sitting for months. Dead batteries, plugged fuel systems, full waste tanks..
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#22]
you see the fallow me trucks and airport security  chasing the plane down the runways   so fake
Quoted:
That shit is soooo fake.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the one episode right now. Guy goes into a hangar and there's a P-51 and an Avenger in there with a few trainers. I would have been seriously sidetracked.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So the guys just gets in and "steals" the plane?  I can't figure out which ones off the top of my head, but that's gotta break some of the FAR rules.
View Quote

It does. They're essentially "stealing" them. Repossessing is a dirty business... There's an internet forum dedicated to that "business" kinda scary how close to bring criminals all of those guys are.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It does. They're essentially "stealing" them. Repossessing is a dirty business... There's an internet forum dedicated to that "business" kinda scary how close to bring criminals all of those guys are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but they have a right to take the plane since the people aren't making the payments. They are contracted out by banks to get their property back.

Who's stealing here? The buyer not making payments or the bank taking back their collateral?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My Uncle has 3 planes... All three have keys in the ignition right now I bet. I have never seen them out of the planes.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Flight plan be damned!

<cue music>
</cue music>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flight plan be damned!

<cue music>
</cue music>

we'll take a stance...in Gucci pants
No one can stop the gay air force!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I watch it . I am reminded of the guy near me who had a shootout with the repo man. The car repo guy was supposed to notify the sheriff , He failed to do so. Owner was not charged , repo guys did go home with the car. but they had bullet holes in the tow truck .
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Retarded assfucked shit.
Makes Pawn Stars look like an old style Discovery show.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#31]
My old man used to do repos as a side gig, he did a few airplanes. As I recall he'd just locate the plane, find a pilot willing to fly it, then get it to another airfield. NBD.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Colton harris moore
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#33]
There's one on now where a guy has to repo an L-39. They drama it up about how it's a big bad fighter plane.

FAA's got all kind of rules about flying stuff like that.

ETA: upon checking the intenet the ex-mil pilot they got to fly the L-39 is also the owner of that L-39
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL - Magnets don't stick to aluminum!

What they REALLY use is a fake rock, secured with aircraft-grade stainless steel Velcro.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keeping things you quit paying for is stealing, no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw one, and one only. They parachuted in to a tactical tier-one super ranger seal school to repo TWO planes...but the one in the hangar needed an engine rebuilt.  So they did that first. Then repo. All while "avoiding detection".
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:49:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What they REALLY use is a fake rock, secured with aircraft-grade stainless steel Velcro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL  -  A rock would have been mistaken for FOD and thrown out!

What they REALLY do is just put the keys up in the visor, but they're cleverly disguised with a miniature "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#38]
i believe about 30% of each of those repos.

and i bet 90% of the repos in the plane world are single engine GA planes, and the repo guy just walks up, puts a lock chain on the prop and a repo note on the window.

flying out has to be the absolute last possible resort.

ETA: also, really pilots who steal repossessed planes back?? I don't believe that shit for a second. great way to land your ass in jail and loose your license.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

and i bet 90% of the repos in the plane world are single engine GA planes,
View Quote

Hmm.  I think I'd take that bet.
Gut feeling is that it's the more expensive executive stuff and larger planes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#40]
If the Barefoot Bandit who had never flown a plane before can walk up and steal a plane more than once, I imagine an actual pilot could do it too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2321624/Barefoot-Bandit-outran-police-years-stolen-cars-boats-planes-pleads-guilty-breaking-airport.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i really don think so. id think most of the company owned ones that are repo'd are probably done with help and compliance of the company, they know they are fucked on the plane why bother trying to keep something you cant pay for? if you cant make payments, you probably cant pay to fly it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If the Barefoot Bandit who had never flown a plane before can walk up and steal a plane more than once, I imagine an actual pilot could do it too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2321624/Barefoot-Bandit-outran-police-years-stolen-cars-boats-planes-pleads-guilty-breaking-airport.html
View Quote

its not a question of ability.

people are assholes, loosen some wires, make the plane die mid air, its silly to jump into somethign and trust it with your life without doing an inspection.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I can't say I know anything about airplane repos.

But it seems to me I wouldn't be overeager to attempt to fly a plane at first sight that belonged to somebody that wasn't making payments. If they aren't paying for the plane, I wouldn't think they'd be paying for maintenance on the thing and I wouldn't want to find out a few thousand feet above the ground.

View Quote
The "real" repo guys take a mechanic with them.

Dad was in Aviation until 71, some of his buddies did some repo work until recently. They would arrive with a 3 or 4 man crew and dive into the aircraft books while they did a preflight.. Many of the planes were fine although there was usually some minor shit written up. The funny stuff was trying to charge $24,000.00 for fuel on a personal Chevron credit card type stuff. I can't even remember the good stuff anymore.

ETA:  these were all airliners, 737s, MD80s etc

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

i really don think so. id think most of the company owned ones that are repo'd are probably done with help and compliance of the company, they know they are fucked on the plane why bother trying to keep something you cant pay for? if you cant make payments, you probably cant pay to fly it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet 99% of repo's are friendly repo's, then there are those unwilling to give it up. Like most TV I am sure it is enhanced a little for entertainment purposes but nevertheless as a corporate pilot I still enjoy watching the episodes.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#45]
The producers called the airport my father flies out of for permission to film an episode. They were basically told to FOAD. LOL
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT Depends entirely on the business itself...Some ARE shitheads...we had one repo guy who also used to use his tow truck to Steal cars for a Chop Shop..but that doesnt make ALL Repo guys crooked.  The money can be INCREDIBLY Good, but it can also carry a risk if the repo you're doing is in a shitty area
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#47]
It says on the show it is reenactments .
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#48]
I've done aircraft repos... for IRG in Orlando... and NEVER did ANY of the bullshit they have on that ignorant fucking show and I NEVER made the kind of money the show boasts about.

I had a falling out with IRG over money and will never again do anything for them.

To do an aircraft repo, you get a bunch of paper that basically allows you to fly without the required documents (registration, airworthiness certificate and flight manuals), you call the local cops or sheriff and report that you are doing a repo of an airplane and from where and who you work for.

THEN you do a detailed walk around to make sure all the parts that are supposed to be there ARE there and then you can fly it away. Only a stupid pilot will fly a repo at night or in clouds. I never did, even though I repo'd a few that were pretty damn nice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#49]
This show is dumber than the moon shiners. Have been involved in a repo of a B737 and a B727. No big deal. Sheriff and local Po Po, lawyer from the leasing company and pilots. And it's gone. You can't run a muck on any airport without being noticed and some one calling the cop's. Removing an airplane from some ones personal property without the cop's could put you in jail. Most of the crap they show is prearranged and scripted. Your not going to go in and fly an airplane out without all the proper paperwork from the FAA ( takes at least a week of kissing ass. No one wants to sign off on the paperwork) and show it on the tube if you wish to keep your license. Most of the time people just abandon in place just a matter of paying the bill's and getting it. The one's they show hiding it on there property is a joke. Who want's something you can't fly. At a point when a lot of money is involved you get charged with theft if you don't surrender the property.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This show is dumber than the moon shiners. Have been involved in a repo of a B737 and a B727. No big deal. Sheriff and local Po Po, lawyer from the leasing company and pilots. And it's gone. You can't run a muck on any airport without being noticed and some one calling the cop's. Removing an airplane from some ones personal property without the cop's could put you in jail. Most of the crap they show is prearranged and scripted. Your not going to go in and fly an airplane out without all the proper paperwork from the FAA ( takes at least a week of kissing ass. No one wants to sign off on the paperwork) and show it on the tube if you wish to keep your license. Most of the time people just abandon in place just a matter of paying the bill's and getting it. The one's they show hiding it on there property is a joke. Who want's something you can't fly. At a point when a lot of money is involved you get charged with theft if you don't surrender the property.
View Quote

This, right here.....I've seen more than one Repo Guy end up in cuffs because he ignored a "Private Property" Sign and went into someone's driveway or yard to take a Vehicle.... I havent been on a GA airport in ages, but there are usually Locked Gates that require at least a combination to get through before you can get anywhere near an Aircraft parking area, nevermind inside a hangar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top