Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2015 2:35:06 PM EDT
I have a little space in a spare bedroom that is going to double as our computer room/my gun room.  I'm trying to find a table that doesn't break the bank, that I can mount a vise to and stick in there.  Do you guys think this will fit the bill?  Before you fellers comment and say "just build it yourself", I dont have the time or resources.  Buying would be easier for me at the moment.   Also, lets see pics of your gun table so I can see how some of you guys are setting things up.   Thank you!

Link to table in question
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a little space in a spare bedroom that is going to double as our computer room/my gun room.  I'm trying to find a table that doesn't break the bank, that I can mount a vise to and stick in there.  Do you guys think this will fit the bill?  Before you fellers comment and say "just build it yourself", I dont have the time or resources.  Buying would be easier for me at the moment.   Also, lets see pics of your gun table so I can see how some of you guys are setting things up.   Thank you!

View Quote

It might be a little flimsy.  Do you at least have the ability to add "X" supports to the back and sides?  Could be done by cable or wood.  Or you could screw it directly to studs in the wall to make it not flex.

But you can figure that out after you get it, at least.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait, you mean you guys actually have a specific table that's just for gun stuff?

Then what the hell do you use the dining room table for? Eating?

My life is a lie.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It might be a little flimsy.  Do you at least have the ability to add "X" supports to the back and sides?  Could be done by cable or wood.  Or you could screw it directly to studs in the wall to make it not flex.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I could screw it into the studs in the wall.  I could add supports too.  

They have this one at Harbor Freight, but it looks exactly the same.

Table
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It might be a little flimsy.  Do you have a Lowes in your area?  I was looking at this table the other day:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_538510-55738-3DSSWM2013_4294857657__?productId=50109238&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

View Quote

I have a Lowe's 3 miles from my house.  I will definitely check this out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are willing to come to northern Virginia to pick it up, I am willing to give you, yes give you, my gunsmithing work table.

Built with 4x4 legs, 30x40x3/4" masonite covered plywood, it has two levels, plus two shelves, and weighs about 250 pounds.  

It is pre-drilled for a Versa-Vise style gunsmith vise and for a woodworking vise.

Email me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The reviews for the Home Depot one also suggest it is a shitty material on the top end of the table.  For a work table where you'll have oils and such, I'd recommend getting a 1/4" thick or so plastic sheet to put on top.  It'll almost be like a cutting board for the entire bench.  It's easy to just wipe it off when it gets oily.  You can take it outside and hose it down if you want to without worry about swelling.  And it's cheap and easy to replace if you ever need to.  I'm still using the same one I've had for 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Habor Freight?

http://t.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I built mine. Not too pretty but it works great. 4x4 legs, 2x4s and plywood. I covered it with leftover industrial vinyl flooring.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Got this from Sears for like $35.

That pic was taken just before I finished it. I use it mainly for reloading .45 and 9mm but do clean my guns on it and I built my AR on it. Works well.

Craftsman Workstation

I got rid of the top and opted for a better one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The reviews for the Home Depot one also suggest it is a shitty material on the top end of the table.  For a work table where you'll have oils and such, I'd recommend getting a 1/4" thick or so plastic sheet to put on top.  It'll almost be like a cutting board for the entire bench.  It's easy to just wipe it off when it gets oily.  You can take it outside and hose it down if you want to without worry about swelling.  And it's cheap and easy to replace if you ever need to.  I'm still using the same one I've had for 10 years.
View Quote

Use truck bed liner.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Use truck bed liner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use truck bed liner.

Nah, too permanent.  I use semi-transparent plastic with a measuring grid underneath it.  Makes it easy to quickly mark things for cutting and modifications.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy one of these and mount a vise to the corner like I did. Built a couple of ARs with it. It's portable, doesn't take up  too much space when folded and is usable for other projects.

link

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Table
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Table
This one is very flimsy.  A buddy of mine bought it and it wasn't very good for reloading. Since he didn't have much space he gave it to me.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy one of these and mount a vise to the corner like I did. Built a couple of ARs with it. It's portable, doesn't take up  too much space when folded and is usable for other projects.

link

View Quote

^^^ How were you able to torque a barrel nut with that set up?

OP I have the one in your post and it quickly got turned into my Wifes potting bench. Great for flowers, not so much for guns. If you have any access to power tools and have minimal skills you can build a hell of a bench for 99.00
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just at sams and they have a nice workbench/table in the their garage section.  I believe it was around $200.  

You could always man up and just build one  That's what I did.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a nice table but it needs some sturdier legs and a thicker, meatier table top for banging on.

It says it's 2ft. deep. You could put two 2" x 12"s and a 2" x 2", side by side by side for the top.
That'll give you a little mass for hammer blows.

Maybe use 4" x 4"s for legs.

The table itself is a good starting point.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
I have this and it works well in my gun room. I added a plywood shelf on the bottom for reloading supplies that additional weight and make it even more solid.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wait, you mean you guys actually have a specific table that's just for gun stuff?

Then what the hell do you use the dining room table for? Eating?

My life is a lie.
View Quote

Hell, I use the kitchen table, it is easier to wash the stock of a new Garand when I am just steps away  from the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a gun table. Wait, that's not what the op was talking about.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I think it will be a piece of shite, typical from Home Depot. You'll have to assemble it, so you won't save yourself much time.

Get a pair of bench legs from Grainger.  http://www.grainger.com/product/Straight-Leg-WP34605/_/N-/Ntt-Workbench+Legs?adgrpID=3285837518&gclid=CMOzsc28lMMCFQYJaQodAQwAxA&kwdID=15327830508&sst=subset&s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5W681_AS01?$smthumb$

Go to Home Depot and have them cut a couple of pieces of finished plywood to the dimensions you want. Glue two pieces together for the top. You may be able to buy a piece of laminated counter top. You might want to cut two strips of plywood to fit over the legs and glue those in place so the wood will be thicker where you screw it into the legs. That will make it a bit stronger.

When you glue the two pieces together for the top, put them on a clean floor. Sweep the floor so there's no gravel. Use Elmer's Wood Glue. It works Very Well. Put heavy stuff on top of the boards to compress them. Your spare tire, bags of shot, tool box, cases of ammo, or anything heavy will work. Make sure the weight is heavy and evenly distributed.

You need a board for the lower shelf. This attaches to the braces on the legs and keeps them from spreading. Home Depot can also cut that board for you and you can be a slob and bolt it on because nobody will look at it.

You'll have to drill 28 holes and buy some strong wood screws and bolts while you're at the store, which is where you were going to go, anyway. It will take you however long it took to assemble the other thing, plus another half hour or so because you had to drill some holes.

Then it will last for twenty years, which the piece of shit from Home Depot will not do. It will cost you maybe $200.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd recommend this.

Heavy duty and makes a great work bench or desk.

Plenty of different options and sizes to pick from.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I have no experience with them but the 2x4 basics benches seem to get good reviews.  

Wouldn't take more time effort to put one together than it would one of those benches that still require assembly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#25]
My work space is a glass coffee table with a towel on it.  

FML

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It might be a little flimsy.  Do you have a Lowes in your area?  I was looking at this table the other day:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_538510-55738-3DSSWM2013_4294857657__?productId=50109238&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

These things are crap.  I have one, and still use it even.  But the drawers are unusable, they all fall out of the guides.  The metal is very thin.  The fiberboard work surface cracked and came apart in a month or two.  The pegboard isn't spaced the same as other pegboards, so universal pegboard things cannot be hung on it.  The only thing worth a damn was the overhead storage and the light that comes with it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

I have the same bench, bought it 7 years ago and never regretted it. Have 3 presses on it plus a vise. After I got my lights where I wanted them, drilled holes and slipped the post of each light in them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I looked at that one and thought it was flimsy, not really sturdy for a vise grip to me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have this and it works well in my gun room. I added a plywood shelf on the bottom for reloading supplies that additional weight and make it even more solid.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I really like that but like I said I need for a small space. 46-50 inches wide.  That one is 72" wide.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#32]
mine

I've got this one from Menards  I'm happy with it  seems sturdy enough.  Then again I'm not an operator.  they also have one the same size as the one you are looking at fro HD for cheaper if you have a Menards available
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I have this one that I bought from Sam's, same brand but smaller than that linked earlier, sturdy and seems to be a good use of space

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/22228869?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228016355155&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40875054152&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=71336200753&veh=sem

48" wide

Quoted:

I really like that but like I said I need for a small space. 46-50 inches wide.  That one is 72" wide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#34]
As far as gun related work benches I have this thread saved. Seems to be stuff for all dollar ranges in there
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/262015_Official_Reloading_Bench_Picture_Thread___Now_with_100__more_Pictures_.html
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I built mine. Not too pretty but it works great. 4x4 legs, 2x4s and plywood. I covered it with leftover industrial vinyl flooring.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#36]
That table would be fine for working on guns.  Now, space for tools is another matter.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I just use a workbench similar to this that I got from Lowes.

I dragged it upstairs to my spare bedroom that acts as my "man cave".  Is it ideal?  No, but it works for now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I have this.  Perfect for gunsmithing in an apartment.  Even have my vice mounted to it.  Apologies neighbors, gotta do what I gotta do.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]
It took about $100 to make this one. It is real sturdy. I have a much larger version in my other building. I love making work benches.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I like the SamsClub one and plan to get one. The HF ones are too short IMO. I tend to use alot of space when working on stuff.

This is my current table, cut down shelving w/ 3/4 Plywood and adjustable bottom shelf, its 6 foot long

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Built a work bench in my garage, its mostly 2x4's (the top is 2x4's ripped to 3", glued and screwed together).

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Alright guys, I went and picked up my table today.  I decided to go with the industrial one from Sam's Club and I'm glad I did.  Holy cow this thing is well made.  The table top is 1 3/4" thick and everything is heavy duty. It was a breeze to put together.  Now for suggestions on lights and how to mount a vise?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice op. When my wife and I got a new dining table,  I took the old one and put it in the garage, screwed it to the studs. I have an old lamp for light,  screwed a vice to it,  and have my rolling Craftsman toolbox next to it. I also have my walls adorned with pegboard and old couch out there and some remnant carpet. It doesn't have to win beauty pageants, it just has to work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice op. When my wife and I got a new dining table,  I took the old one and put it in the garage, screwed it to the studs. I have an old lamp for light,  screwed a vice to it,  and have my rolling Craftsman toolbox next to it. I also have my walls adorned with pegboard and old couch out there and some remnant carpet. It doesn't have to win beauty pageants, it just has to work.
View Quote

As long as it works, thats all that matters.  Lol.  I'm going to sling some pegboard up on the wall as well.  Honestly, I'm a little worried about having to drill through the 1 3/4" table top.  I'm sure that sucker will put a strain on my drill.  Lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have no experience with them but the 2x4 basics benches seem to get good reviews.  

Wouldn't take more time effort to put one together than it would one of those benches that still require assembly.
View Quote

My gun bench assembled using the 2x4 basics workbench kit and added the lumber. Not shown is the later addition of a RCBS single stage and a Dillon progressive press.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I really gotta clean up my outbuilding
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#47]
No pics of the small space guns? I was expecting at least a phaser or something
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Forgive the mess, the garage is in a state of revolution, currently.

Sam's Club
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#49]
For my primary workbench, I have a 6 or 7' folding table with Formica top that I have placed on top of two metal office desk cabinets (Steelcase or similar) that I picked up from a used office furniture store.   Obviously the table legs are folded up.

This was an important evolution since previously, I'd simply used the table as designed.   Adding the cabinets raised the work surface a couple of inches, gave me a lot more storage, and neatly limited the space under the table where parts could drop and roll around.    I have an inexpensive rolling toolbox set off to one side (forming an "L" shape with the table) where most of my tools are stored.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I would advise the OP to stick his cash in his pocket and drive around to some tag sales.

Work bench that you are going to beat on and drill holes in there is no reason to buy new

When possible always bolt to wall
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top