Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/13/2015 9:27:49 PM EDT
http://breakingdefense.com/2015/01/navy-decides-to-buy-v-22-ospreys-for-carrier-delivery/

The Navy will buy V-22 Osprey tiltrotors to replace its aging C-2A Greyhound turboprop aircraft in flying carrier on board delivery (COD) missions. Breaking Defense obtained a Jan. 5 memo, signed by Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert, and Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Joseph Dunford. It stipulates that the Navy will buy four V-22s each year from fiscal 2018 to 2020.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not really surprised by this.

Its  lot cheaper than starting an assembly line for new C-2s.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
So will the wings fold and if so, how?
Will a JSF motor fit inside?
Will it even fit inside the hangar bay?
How much deck space will it take up?

Handlers are gonna love this thing.

Good idea? Maybe. Depends on the above.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

In answer to the first question:

As for the rest, I don't know.  Can't recall if the Greyhounds fit inside most of the hangar spaces themselves.  I never served on a carrier, but every photo I've ever seen has the Greyhounds on the deck.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ohh lordy.....

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/_45aUrES-j0?t=22s

As for the rest, I don't know.  Can't recall if the Greyhounds fit inside most of the hangar spaces themselves.  I never served on a carrier, but every photo I've ever seen has the Greyhounds on the deck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of our pilots used to fly C-2s and loved them since they were day VFR only and stayed on shore.  While their wings do fold at least to my eye they are big aircraft still.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

They already have folding, and operate off of carriers.  IIRC, the F-35 engine has to be transported in a specialized crate, separate from the lift fan, but it will fit in the V-22.  Which is more than one could say about the retiring C-2.

As far as I know, the only other option being offered was a franken-bird offered by Lockheed, which was essentially a new aircraft using rebuilt S-3 wings and engines.

The advantage of the Osprey is that it can land on pretty much anything, unlike a fixed-wing option which can only land on a carrier.  And it's more or less OTS.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

About the same space requirements when stowed as the CH-46
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
So will the wings fold and if so, how?  Lol.  It's been deploying on Phibs since 2009

Will a JSF motor fit inside?  No, nor will that motor fit inside a C-2.  Unlike anything else except a 53, the V-22 should be able to carry it externally with the associated range penalty

Will it even fit inside the hangar bay?  It fits in a Phib hangar bay.  How much time do CODs spend in the hangar bay?

How much deck space will it take up? Somewhere between a 46 and a 53 when folded

Handlers are gonna love this thing.  The crew of the CVN that participated in the MUA for a V-22 COD gave favorable reviews even though they didn't expect to like it.  Airboss especially liked the ability to land, fuel, and launch while on the downwind leg for between cycles.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Kind of cool watching those things land on the flight deck.  Interested to see how they stow them in the hangar bay.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How much deck space will it take up? Somewhere between a 46 and a 53 when folded

View Quote

They are very close to the 46 when stowed but the weigh what a 53 does makes a difference on a LHA/D but on a big deck like a CVN it won't be noticed
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The advantage of the Osprey is that it can land on pretty much anything, unlike a fixed-wing option which can only land on a carrier.  And it's more or less OTS.
View Quote

I'll have to check the Resume, but in a CSG, the V-22 will be limited to e CVN.  It can also land on the all L-class ships.  Not sure about CLF ships.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
What are the clown shoes VRC squadrons going to do when they can't rely on the VAW's to do their shipboard maintenance?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C2s absolutely fit in the hangar bay.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They already have folding, and operate off of carriers.  IIRC, the F-35 engine has to be transported in a specialized crate, separate from the lift fan, but it will fit in the V-22.  Which is more than one could say about the retiring C-2.  

As far as I know, the only other option being offered was a franken-bird offered by Lockheed, which was essentially a new aircraft using rebuilt S-3 wings and engines.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not "operate off of carriers".  We flew the first ones on and off to refuel from the PI in 2013.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll have to check the Resume, but in a CSG, the V-22 will be limited to e CVN.  It can also land on the all L-class ships.  Not sure about CLF ships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, there's no fucking way it will operate of anything other than the CVN in a CSG.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are very close to the 46 when stowed but the weigh what a 53 does makes a difference on a LHA/D but on a big deck like a CVN it won't be noticed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steep learning curve pushing 10 of them around an LHA flight deck, but there won't be more than 2 on a CVN. I was The TACRON OIC with the first VMM squadron (263 IIRC) to deploy on an Amphib with 22 MEU/BAT ARG in '08-'09.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Gonna play havoc with cyclic ops.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Steep learning curve pushing 10 of them around an LHA flight deck, but there won't be more than 2 on a CVN. I was The TACRON OIC with the first VMM squadron (263 IIRC) to deploy on an Amphib with 22 MEU/BAT ARG in '08-'09.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eventually we will go to 12 bird squadrons, since the legacy LHAs are going away only LHDs and America Class LHAs will in the fleet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's no fucking way it will operate of anything other than the CVN in a CSG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Landing on a T-AKE.  Not sure if it was part of test or not.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Handlers are gonna love this thing.  The crew of the CVN that participated in the MUA for a V-22 COD gave favorable reviews even though they didn't expect to like it.  Airboss especially liked the ability to land, fuel, and launch while on the downwind leg for between cycles.
View Quote

How many PAX and how much cargo transferred?

Does it fit in the helo/hummer hole next to the island?
I don't think a 53 fits in there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will the CVN decks be affected by the engine exhaust in the same manner as the amphibs?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gonna play havoc with cyclic ops.
View Quote

During the MUA it actually made it easier because it could recover, unload/load, and launch on the downwind.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can technically fit 24 loaded Marines (large field pack and wearing 782 gear) but we normally drop 2 to make access to the emergency exist easier.  

Normally they cube out prior to weighing out when doing internals.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Will the CVN decks be affected by the engine exhaust in the same manner as the amphibs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't an issue on ours.  I can't say with any authority that any real testing has been done though, I don't recall that there was ever any plan to run them off of CVNs.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either will have to add trivets like the Nassau did prior to the upgraded deck surface or do rolling landings and take offs with the nacelles partially rotated .
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no fucking way it could ever fit there.  It could probably fit in the slot where they put the E-2.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

im former army so i don't know, but aren't the grey hounds for shore to ship transportation?  so there would be no reason to keep them on the carrier at all times.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom line is that flight deck and hangar deck crews have gotten spoiled.  We used to have much bigger airwings on smaller carriers. Of course we also used to bump things more often .

We're talking about 2 Ospreys that are only aboard for transits.  Bigger handicap on WESTPAC than the Med or NAS/PG.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

So much fail and derp in this post that could have been answered by a simple Google search...

You win a perfect for that post.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Landing on a T-AKE.  Not sure if it was part of test or not.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/181826920-an-mv-22-osprey-prepares-to-land-aboard-usns-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=MSoKEcsYzIdhCVPlwtEnpcHabid1HU%2BMr7zF8er5X94%3D

Looks like it was a test, I wasn't really thinking of USNS as part of the CSG.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

im former army so i don't know, but aren't the grey hounds for shore to ship transportation?  so there would be no reason to keep them on the carrier at all times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't generally stay onboard.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There's no fucking way it could ever fit there.  It could probably fit in the slot where they put the E-2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which will be a problem since E-2 squadrons are growing from 4 planes to 5.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So much fail and derp in this post that could have been answered by a simple Google search...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what do you expect from a jet jock?  Lower your expectations and the world will be so much easier...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I heard that but I've never seen more than two on a CVN.  Not sure there's space to support even three -- they always park one all the way forward in bay 1 and one right next the helo hole.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I seem to remember calling this in a thread about a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, I heard that but I've never seen more than two on a CVN.  Not sure there's space to support even three -- they always park one all the way forward in bay 1 and one right next the helo hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always been (4) on deployments (as far as I know). Usually two on deck and two in the hangar bay (with one of those being used for cannibalization during longer inspections or maintenance).

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may see 3 topside going forward in E-2D airwings.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hehe. I don't give a shit really. Just bring the mail bitches.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#39]
What I want to know is...

What will they use to represent the -22 on the "Ouija Board"

Its not a plane, its not a 'copter... it literally "got both"

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Always been (4) on deployments (as far as I know). Usually two on deck and two in the hangar bay (with one of those being used for cannibalization during longer inspections or maintenance).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  We're always different.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some other people might...  I'm done with sea duty...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm sure the LSOs will be happy not to have to catch the 0700 COD anymore.

It was LSEs catching it, I take it?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think one of you is talking COD and the other is talking Hawkeye.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#44]
The fucking V-22 will fit anywhere on the fucking flight deck or the hangar bay where a fucking C-2 fits.  

Length

V-22 - 57ft 4in (wings spread) / 63ft (wings stowed)

C-2 56ft 10in

Wingspan

V-22 - 45ft 10in (wings spread) / 18ft 11in (wings folded) / 84ft 3in (wings and rotors)

C-2 80ft 7in (wings spread) / 29ft 4in (wings folded)

Height

V-22 - 22ft 1in (with nacelles vertical) / 18ft 3in (with wings stowed) / 17ft 11in (top of tailfins)

C-2 15ft 10in

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen more than two CODs onboard either, I'm sure it's possible but they almost never stay onboard unless they break.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe so.  I wasn't directly involved, but we (my command) helped AIRLANT design and execute the assessment.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that you mention it, I don't remember.  I'll have to pull up the video later.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I believe so.  I wasn't directly involved, but we (my command) helped AIRLANT design and execute the assessment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well of it means no more backwards facing cat shots then so much the better.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you're right.  But if they break, they have to stay until they are fixed.  They share a lot in common with the E-2 (it's pretty much the same plane as far as airframe, engines etc) so the E-2 guys can fix them.  They are E-2/C-2 qualified at the same time.  

One of the big things here is that the Osprey doesn't have anyone on a CVN like that.  This means either a new squadron on the CVN at all times or dealing with rescue dets (for the bird) when one is broken on a CVN.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Now that you mention it, I don't remember.  I'll have to pull up the video later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what did they flight deck guys say about the rotor wash? Good, worse, indifferent?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top