BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 1/13/2015 7:28:21 PM EDT
Poll.

The longer version:

"Are you, as a property owner who pays property taxes, happy/complacent/accepting about a portion of your property taxes being used for funding for public education?"

1. Yes, I don't mind if my tax money goes to public education
2. No, I would rather my tax money not be used for public eduction
3. n/a, my property taxes do not go to public education
4. I am not a property owner, but if I was, I wouldn't care if my money was used
5. I am not a property owner, but if I was, I would not want my money used
6. Pie/Other (post details below)

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
1. If I don't help educate them, they are just milling around waiting to do crime or sponging Obamaphones.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think property taxes should be eliminated, and it only pisses me off more that i have to pay for some kid's education that i don't even know.

Public schools should be privatized.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
(Graduated) Homeschooler's parent...you don't want to ask me.

We took our son out of the government schools when he was 10.

He's a second semester sophomore at a private university right now, carrying a 3.38 GPA in a pre-law program.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
2 - All education should be unsubsidized and private.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have way more problems with every other tax and how there used

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Try owning crop land.

The sniveling Bitches in education are constantly trying to gouge for more $$$, and have absofuckinglutely nothing for risk, let alone accountability.

Get two bad years of crop prices or bad weather, and you get a gun to your head.

Educators in the public system are nothing but parasitic trash, sucking the life out of everyone trying to scratch out a living honestly.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I benefit, as all people do, from having a publicly funded educated populace. Even the Founding Fathers wished for this. I don't mind my tax dollars going towards public education.

But, that's a VERY different topic than "are public schools in need of a great makeover and de-coupling from the shitty Federal teet and liberal twats pulling the strings?" To that, I say yes, as a taxpayer with a vested interest in seeing these schools do what they were invented to do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If I had children then I'd have no problem with it, but since I'm subsidizing the cost of a child for parents I do have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
1)  I don't own any land.  I only rent it from the government.
2)  I'm not against public education.  Public education is a good thing.  My problem is how public education is administered.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I am fine with it. Someone paid my way. We would have even more problems

without public funding of schools.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. If I don't help educate them, they are just milling around waiting to do crime or sponging Obamaphones.
View Quote

Get both?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Education aspect I don't mind
Its all the bullshit that the administration and teachers union sucks out of education
View Quote

It's pretty easy to get involved at the local level.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The war on education is a success like the war on drugs or the war on illegals
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try owning crop land.

The sniveling Bitches in education are constantly trying to gouge for more $$$, and have absofuckinglutely nothing for risk, let alone accountability.

Get two bad years of crop prices or bad weather, and you get a gun to your head.

Educators in the public system are nothing but parasitic trash, sucking the life out of everyone trying to scratch out a living honestly.

View Quote

How much is your property tax on cropland up in Michigan?  Do y'all have "Ag value" rates?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Education aspect I don't mind
Its all the bullshit that the administration and teachers union sucks out of education
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think property taxes should be eliminated, and it only pisses me off more that i have to pay for some kid's education that i don't even know.

View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I benefit, as all people do, from having a publicly funded educated populace. Even the Founding Fathers wished for this. I don't mind my tax dollars going towards public education.

But, that's a VERY different topic than "are public schools in need of a great makeover and de-coupling from the shitty Federal teet and liberal twats pulling the strings?" To that, I say yes, as a taxpayer with a vested interest in seeing these schools do what they were invented to do.
View Quote

[/thread]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It's an issue that should be left up to the specific states. So I'm fine with it on that premise.  

That being said I am almost never fine with how the money is used.  Money never seems to be used effectively.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't mind so much if the public schools weren't so shitty in my area. And don't even get me started on that Common Core crap. Fortunately, we got our kid into a fanta$tic private $chool. IMHO, they do a much better job than we could if we home schooled.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's an issue that should be left up to the specific states. So I'm fine with it on that premise.  

That being said I am almost never fine with how the money is used.  Money never seems to be used effectively.
View Quote

Well sure, but the question is more the basic premise. If it is acceptable to you and you support its use, not necessarily how local districts perhaps misuse it.

There's definitely a lot of money mismanaged.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I had children then I'd have no problem with it, but since I'm subsidizing the cost of a child for parents I do have a problem with it.
View Quote

Seriously?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

But... muh schools!  And muh roads!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm fine with it, even though I don't have kids in the public schools.

Having complete illiterate citizens would be the stupidest thing we could do.
View Quote

Instead, you're getting the worst of both worlds.

Putting children in school does not make them literate.  Schooling is not a synonym for learning.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Live in Cali. Pay $16k/year in property tax and don't dare send my kid to our public school.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I hate public school and their union-filth lackeys posing as educators. There are some decent teachers in the system, but too few to justify keeping the system.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Precisely.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Considering that schools don't teach anymore, it's a waste of money. We'd get more out of schools if they dropped No Child Left Behind and went back to McGuffy's Reader.  That Nineteenth Century stuff is tough.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I would like if if we had public education, the only thing ive seen is gubmint indoctrination.

I feel bad for the abused youts that are force to attend because their parents would rather buy cool cars, campers, vacations etc. Instead of investing in the lives that they brought into this fucked up world.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I get an erection every time I think of my property tax going up every year to pay for teacher pensions and health care (Zero deductible for anything, including OTC aspirin).

Fuck liberals. Fuck the Philadelphia Federation of Communist Teachers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't mind paying a reasonable amount per student but it shouldn't come from property taxes and not go to anybody but the teachers not the unions or administration.

Around here they a constantly asking for tax levy's. Half the school is run on dollars above and beyond what the state provides through additional taxes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I am fortunate enough to be a home owner (no kids myself) in one of the best school district in San Diego. Having good schools in the area increases my property values, as all I see are upper middle class Asian parents walking their kids to school at 7am. Good families, nice homes, good schools. It all goes hand-in-hand.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]
lack of education just breeds more dindus......enough of them around as it is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I am not fine with how they spend my tax money at all
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm ok with my LOCAL taxes being used for public education

I am NOT fine with my FEDERAL taxes going to the Department of Education.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Try owning crop land.

View Quote

I'd say most are. Pass Johnny even though he can't read. Leave it for the next Teacher/Babysitter. Same goes for College. Just Liberal indoctrination centers.
At least I live in a rural area. Where they still teach.
But for the most part teachers are way overpaid.  For the amount of work they do.
That and they are always begging for more money. Fucking teachers unions.
Hell, I'm lucky if they grade my gravel road 2 times a year. But the schools keep getting a bigger and bigger chunk of my property tax money!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

As someone who pays a very large percentage of my income for my children's private school education, I agree with this statement.
Why should someone who makes choices and take steps not to be a parent have to pay.

Any subsidizing should come from private funds or charities set up for said purpose. Their are many people who would gladly donate to help others get education and might do so more if they were not taxed to find every other program they don't support.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Can we privatize policing and fire services too?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#45]
You do realize laws mandate public education and mandate funding too.

What I'm saying is in many, if not most states you would have to change their Constitutions.....2/3 vote...maybe 3/4 in some...

Fixing public education is a big challenge, abandoning it seems idiotic.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#46]
As property owner without kids and no desire to have kids it bugs me that I am being singled out to provide for them. However, an educated populace benefits everyone so it is easy for me to get over.
I am more annoyed with how the public school system is run and how they waste the money they get from me. Because of that I vote no on every ballot question trying to raise taxes for education. If it weren't for that I would love to see public preschool here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't really mind that my property tax dollars are being used to fund public education. I have a huge problem with public education being the way it is now.

FWIW, I only own bare land, so my yearly property tax is like $300.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't have a problem with my property taxes going towards education.

I have a LARGE problem with how it is being used in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are you not a professor at a state school?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... but it's somehow okay, because it's "for the children" and most people have children, so it's okay to vote themselves money out of my pocket.  

Are you not a professor at a state school?

Did he create the system?  No
And do,property taxes fund his university?  I don't know
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top