User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/7/2015 7:42:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
FFFFUUUUUU-

At least I'll have plenty of time to re-read the first five before #6 .
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
That fat bastard writes like old people fuck.  
If he were in charge of World War 2 Japan and Germany would still be in the running....
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]

And that's not even the last book.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
DAMN THAT OBAMA VOTING SOB!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll probably have to find ways to sneak away from my wife and kids to read #7 (currently have neither).
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Considering how poor books 4 and 5 are compared to the first 3 it is kind of difficult to feel all that disappointed.  While it will be nice to find out how everything turns out, I suspect that it will be more dull, un-inspired crap like the last 2.  Especially since he is even more distracted by the HBO series, and not just by the Jets, food, and hating george bush.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, that sucks. Coincidentally, I just started reading the series again for the second time.

Edit- I disagree with the post above, I don't blame him for taking a long time- the sheer amount of things left to be resolved is massive. The last two should be epic (when's the last time you heard that word huh )
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considering how poor books 4 and 5 are compared to the first 3 it is kind of difficult to feel all that disappointed.  While it will be nice to find out how everything turns out, I suspect that it will be more dull, un-inspired crap like the last 2.  Especially since he is even more distracted by the HBO series, and not just by the Jets, food, and hating george bush.
View Quote

Yep, the last two books sucked.

Supposedly he has given the ending to the HBO producers. I'd rather see it end on tv than read another 2000 pages of drivel ( like the last 2 books).
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]

I quit reading them after the fourth book, going to wait and see if:

He finishes the series.

He dies before finishing the series.

I die before he finishes the series.

Can't blame the fat old bastard for milking it every step of the way though, at least he's having his fun before he croaks.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I just finished a another reread.   To be honest I like the last two books, the first time I read them i did not particularly like them but the first time I reread them I enjoyed much more.  Now I like them as much as any.

I admit Its difficult figuring out who all the new people are, and I could do with out all the Cersi drama.  Dornish and Crackens are very cool.  Now I figured them out and understand the ties and I dig them much.  Especially likeing No One (not new) and Victorian, Hotah appears to be a total bad ass too.  The sand snakes girls pictured in my head are hot as fuck.  Hehe. The joys of reading and imagination.  

Yea I worry about grrm not finishing but as all huge epics it takes a long time to finish.  I know that he had dedicated a good amount of time to the recently released world of ice and fire book, and he posted that once that was released he would be hitting the next book hard.  Apperently he has a lot of it written already.

Edit. I also really liked the chapters based on Barrestan Selmy he is totally cool.  Read them again, the story is solid in the new books.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The last two books were inferior to the first three.

The thing is, the longer the gap between books, the worse they get.  The first three only had a two year ago between them.  Then we had a five year gap for A Feast For Crows.  Then a six year gap until A Dance with Dragons.  Now we are on  year four for Winds.

The year I started reading the series, our only daughter was born.  She'll be a sophomore in college this year.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
he better fucking hurry up.
View Quote

An HBO Executive upon hearing the news:  
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I loathe that fat fuck.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]
At this rate, the TV show will catch up to the books sometime next year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
The HBO series will finish before the books do.

In before the watchers of the series turn the tables on the strict book-readers by spoiling the ending for them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
FGRRM
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
If George would just retire out and let Brandon Sanderson finish the series we'd all be much better off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]
He was always a slow writer now he's got all the tv shit, comic cons, speaking tours, movie theater, etc, etc going on. I honestly don't even think he cares anymore. HBO gave him "a dump truck full of money" and he's just going to enjoy his last few years. I bet he isn't halfway through WoW...and he should've had that much material leftover from ADWD.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
No fucks given as long as I have it on HBO
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Not worried. They'll just feed his style into the novel-o-tron and crank out more books, like they did with Tom Clancy

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Did George R. R. Martin just put the two R's in his name to be like the (much superior) J.R.R. Tolkein?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He was always a slow writer now he's got all the tv shit, comic cons, speaking tours, movie theater, etc, etc going on. I honestly don't even think he cares anymore. HBO gave him "a dump truck full of money" and he's just going to enjoy his last few years. I bet he isn't halfway through WoW...and he should've had that much material leftover from ADWD.
View Quote

Probably doesn't.

Its turned into a "dance, monkey, dance" situation for him. Slave to the public.

Why dump everything you have into an effort that 1) will more than likely be disliked 2) isn't even the final book

He knows he isn't going to finish.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Probably doesn't.

Its turned into a "dance, monkey, dance" situation for him. Slave to the public.

Why dump everything you have into an effort that 1) will more than likely be disliked 2) isn't even the final book

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably doesn't.

And to top it off, he has arranged for his notes and drafts to be destroyed upon his death.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#27]
There are no old fat guys.

Go look into an old folks home.  No fatties.

He'll die before it's finished.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very true, I remember waiting for book two.  It's always funny when the non-readers crawl out of their holes to offer their "commentary".
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I really got into those books and ate the first four up and loved them.

However, waiting for #5 killed it for me. I got it, but just haven't gotten around to reading it. By the time it came out, I'd already forgotten everything that had happened and just didn't care.

He can finish it or die without telling the world how it ends. Makes no difference to me anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Very true, I remember waiting for book two.  It's always funny when the non-readers crawl out of their holes to offer their "commentary".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Just finished my 3rd read through of the series on Monday, just read The Princess and the Queen (about the Dance of Dragons Targaryen civil war) today, reading the Rogue next (About Daemon Targaryen) then I guess it's reread the Tales of Dunk and Egg
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I just finished a another reread.   To be honest I like the last two books, the first time I read them i did not particularly like them but the first time I reread them I enjoyed much more.  Now I like them as much as any.

I admit Its difficult figuring out who all the new people are, and I could do with out all the Cersi drama.  Dornish and Crackens are very cool.  Now I figured them out and understand the ties and I dig them much.  Especially likeing No One (not new) and Victorian, Hotah appears to be a total bad ass too.  The sand snakes girls pictured in my head are hot as fuck.  Hehe. The joys of reading and imagination.  

Yea I worry about grrm not finishing but as all huge epics it takes a long time to finish.  I know that he had dedicated a good amount of time to the recently released world of ice and fire book, and he posted that once that was released he would be hitting the next book hard.  Apperently he has a lot of it written already.

Edit. I also really liked the chapters based on Barrestan Selmy he is totally cool.  Read them again, the story is solid in the new books.
View Quote
I agree, first time around book 4 was boring with all the new people, but it has some amazing things that happen, book 5 lost the momentum because of book 4 but the last 25% of book 5 is some of the best of the series. Books 1,2, and 3 are still the best but 4 and 5 aren't as bad as people like to say they are

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Books 4 and 5 are just so much fillers that killed the momentum of the story and ran it so far off the track I am giving up on the series.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just finished my 3rd read through of the series on Monday, just read The Princess and the Queen (about the Dance of Dragons Targaryen civil war) today, reading the Rogue next (About Daemon Targaryen) then I guess it's reread the Tales of Dunk and Egg
View Quote

I love the Tales of Dunk and Egg.

In a way they are almost better,  they give so much insight.  Dunk is one of my favorite characters in the whole series.  I love when Ser Duncan or his shields paint job are mentioned in the regular ASOIAF book series.  I recommend them for anyone.  I can not wait for the rest of them to be put out.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I really do hope he croaks before finishing the books. I wish to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth that come from his fanatic followers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dunk-Egg-Medium.jpg

In a way they are almost better,  they give so much insight.  Dunk is one of my favorite characters in the whole series.  I love when Ser Duncan or his shields paint job are mentioned in the regular ASOIAF book series.  I recommend them for anyone.  I can not wait for the rest of them to be put out.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bUbOHtgJ6xU/UHsRapfwncI/AAAAAAAAA4c/vbqlwajBa54/s1600/hedge_b.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dunk-Egg-Medium.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bUbOHtgJ6xU/UHsRapfwncI/AAAAAAAAA4c/vbqlwajBa54/s1600/hedge_b.JPG

Oh yeah, for sure. I love the trial of 7

I get really sad whenever Summerhall is mentioned

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Don't rush him. He's an ahhhtist.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If George would just retire out and let Brandon Sanderson finish the series we'd all be much better off.
View Quote

I dont know, WOT changed with his stuff.  Dont get me wrong it was a damn fine job and thank god he did it.  Many fucking kuddos to Sanderson, But I dont want to see this happen with ASOIAF. I dont mind waiting, but as has been said the show will outpace the books soon.  I can only see two more seasons possable with the already released material.  The hbo series is watered down and different, but I dig it too.   But i like to read the books befor seeing the shows.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#39]
He's probably had them sitting, completed in his office for the last 5 years, and will publish them all the day after he croaks as a big FU to whatever!
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I dont know, WOT changed with his stuff.  Dont get me wrong it was a damn fine job and thank god he did it.  Many fucking kuddos to Sanderson, But I dont want to see this happen with ASOIAF. I dont mind waiting, but as has been said the show will outpace the books soon.  I can only see two more seasons possable with the already released material.  The hbo series is watered down and different, but I dig it too.   But i like to read the books befor seeing the shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he keeps up at this pace it is unlikely that will be an option in the long term. I don't enjoy Martin's work for a number of reasons, but I don't necessarily think he is a bad author. Things I hate about his books are things others love, but I am getting off subject here.

Martin does take forever to get his books out currently. If you look at his history it was two years between each of the first three books, and then a five year gap to book four and a six year gap to get to book five. We are already at five years since that. Considering what has been said about him talking to the guys from the show it is incredibly likely that the show will be done far before book seven comes out. That's even if he does decide to end it at book seven, he has already stated that he isn't going to end it until he thinks its done. Combined with the fact that he doesn't want the books finished by another author I would say that people need to start with the sacrifices in his name to ensure that the books get finished.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah a while back people were bitching about this and Neil Gaiman made the comment "George R. R. Martin is not your bitch." and several other authors have publicly agreed with this, and stated that they are not their fans bitches either.

While I 100% agree with that sentiment, the flip side of that coin is that the fans are not the authors bitches either.

If an author takes to long in between books or to finish the series they have started, why the hell should we continue to buy their books. If there is no way we know when or if they are ever going to finish the series why should we invest emotionally, intellectually, and financially in their product. Taste can change, life can get busier, kids etc and time for reading gets diminished. So you have to choose which books you make time for. Just sayin.

Obviously serious illness, crippling injuries, accidental death or dismemberment doesn't count against the author, but I do take this into account before I start a series. YMMV  

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:36:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah a while back people were bitching about this and Neil Gaiman made the comment "George R. R. Martin is not your bitch." and several other authors have publicly agreed with this, and stated that they are not their fans bitches either.

While I 100% agree with that sentiment, the flip side of that coin is that the fans are not the authors bitches either.

If an author takes to long in between books or to finish the series they have started, why the hell should we continue to buy their books. If there is no way we know when or if they are ever going to finish the series why should we invest emotionally, intellectually, and financially in their product. Taste can change, life can get busier, kids etc and time for reading gets diminished. So you have to choose which books you make time for. Just sayin.

Obviously serious illness, crippling injuries, accidental death or dismemberment doesn't count against the author, but I do take this into account before I start a series. YMMV  

View Quote

This is one reason I can respect Robert Jordan, he might have slowed down on his releases but he had a very valid reason to do so, and when he knew he wasn't going to finish it he made sure that the series could be finished.

Right now I would say most modern authors are getting a book out in their main series every one to two years. They still find time to work on side projects, write short stories for anthologies and collections, but they know that they need to keep what made them famous coming out.

Jim Butcher is a good example of his, I can just about count on a yearly release from The Dresden files along with a short story or two, and all the while he has had a couple side projects he is working on. Martin feels like he has reached that point where all he cares about is his art not about the people that are going to enjoy it, the people who empower him to create his art. We will see though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#43]
The kings guard stood at attention as the light shown through the window of the throne room bathing the hall with a warm amber glow. The high lords and ladies stood in restrained excitement and hushed anticipation on either side of the throne room. Today the new king would be crowned.

The doors opened and silence fell, the new king walked in his lone footsteps the only sound it would seem in all of King's Landing. He stood before the iron throne and the hand. He took to one knee and bowed his head as the maester, head of the guard and the hand placed the crown upon his head.

The crowd erupted in celebration chanting "Long live the king!" The king stood and swept back his cloak taking his seat on the iron throne. He smiled at the crowd and said to himself. "Hodor"

The End.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:00:25 AM EDT
[#44]
When you have decided to sell your work to a TV studio and there is a currently ongoing hundred million dollar production of your work, you're pretty much the studio's, fans', and producers' bitch.

I'm guessing that GRRM will either have to turn over rough drafts to the screenwriters or just have them write their own story at some point.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When you have decided to sell your work to a TV studio and there is a currently ongoing hundred million dollar production of your work, you're pretty much the studio's, fans', and producers' bitch.

I'm guessing that GRRM will either have to turn over rough drafts to the screenwriters or just have them write their own story at some point.
View Quote

He's apparently already laid out at least some of the information they need to continue the show as well as the endings.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I hope George R. R. Martin does whatever makes him happy in the time he has left. If that includes another novel, so be it. If it's snorting coke off the tight corsets of steam punk groupies at cons, more power to him.

He's already made a huge contribution, creating characters and settings and stories that people will still be building on in a hundred years. Millions of people have gotten a lot of pleasure out of his books and the TV series. He doesn't owe anybody anything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:17:09 AM EDT
[#47]
So you are saying Winter isn't coming?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is one reason I can respect Robert Jordan, he might have slowed down on his releases but he had a very valid reason to do so, and when he knew he wasn't going to finish it he made sure that the series could be finished.

Right now I would say most modern authors are getting a book out in their main series every one to two years. They still find time to work on side projects, write short stories for anthologies and collections, but they know that they need to keep what made them famous coming out.

Jim Butcher is a good example of his, I can just about count on a yearly release from The Dresden files along with a short story or two, and all the while he has had a couple side projects he is working on. Martin feels like he has reached that point where all he cares about is his art not about the people that are going to enjoy it, the people who empower him to create his art. We will see though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm a Dresden fan myself. The spread between Cold Days and Skin Game was the longest of the series at just over a year. There was a short story for an anthology and an illness of some kind, dental I think but I'm not sure, in between them so I feel pretty comfortable parting with my money for his stuff. I'm pretty excited about his Cinder Spires series too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know why endings are that important. Look at the almost universally-loved single season of Firefly. Is it worth watching even though it doesn't have a proper ending?

My favorite series of novels is the 20 volumes of the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. The author died while partway through the 21st. I've still enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:29:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Well,  I for one, am shocked. ....... SHOCKED I say!!!!!!!!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top