Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/6/2015 9:12:46 PM EDT
It's in the teens outside, but here at the bar of Ft. Smith in the warm glow of the wood stove it's a balmy 78.  It's a dry heat though.  

How 'bout you?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
toasty.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Aye.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
12 degrees outside, 80 in the great room, and enjoying a bowl of ice cream.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had mine for a month and wish I would have had one installed years ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
In the teens outside and 78 inside? ? ? ?

I only heat my house to 58 in the winter.  It's too hot otherwise.  

Also in the summer (without air conditioning) the house is maintained, for the most part, between 58 and 62.  It will get warmer than that when it is 90 and above, but the day normally starts in the 50's when the windows are opened at night.

ETA:  My little wood burning stove, 22" long x 15" wide x 17" high, can do almost all my heating unless it drops to -20 or lower.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had mine for a month and wish I would have had one installed years ago.
View Quote

Just wait till the furnace conks out.  Emergency rates?  Fuuuuuck you.  Come when you're free.  We're fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Got an RSF Opel in the unfinished uninsulated shell of a house.  10 outside, mid 40s inside.  Gonna be fine when the fluffy pink goodness goes in after the wiring.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting ready to throw a few more chunks of wood on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Burning wood for a few years. Nice to have a tiny gas bill only for the water heater and dryer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Liberty by Lopi.
5 cords a yr on avg.
18 outside 74 inside. 3k sq ft.
Pyro at heart.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
We only have wood heat (fireplace insert and wood stove [back up to our propane range] in the kitchen).  Bought a hydraulic wood splitter a number of years ago: money well spent.  Just the way we roll here in the outten country.  When all the good stuff goes down (power and stuff like that), we are in good shape .
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
15 degrees out. About 75 inside, Napolean woodstove, and my constantly running Hawken outdoor wood boiler. Owb provides hot water and heat. We only burn wood . No heating bills, but alot of money in chainsaws splitters and wood gathering equipment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Central Boiler Outdoor wood boiler. Free, even heat through out the entire house, no mess inside, load once a day, I could not be happier!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Daughter convinced me to fire up the cast iron insert today. Running on wood bricks, maintaining about 1500F in catalyst.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I want one sooo bad right now...
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
It's 7 degrees out right now, Tomorrow has a high of -3 here in northern Illinois.  My stove room is currently in the upper 70s. I have my lopi endavor loaded up with two year seasoned ash and elm.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got an RSF Opel in the unfinished uninsulated shell of a house.  10 outside, mid 40s inside.  Gonna be fine when the fluffy pink goodness goes in after the wiring.

View Quote

Yep, Saturday sucked.  It was 28 inside when I got there at 0800, I had it up to 49 when I left at 5pm to go to my sleeping house.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's in the teens outside, but here at the bar of Ft. Smith in the warm glow of the wood stove it's a balmy 78.  It's a dry heat though.  

How 'bout you?
View Quote

Still have the A/C on.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice and toasty here with a little oak and pine burning. I will throw in a block of coal before bed time to add a little extra umph!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#21]
P1020030 by toycowfarm, on Flickr" />

I got a bit of wood to keep my womens warm. They love the warmth of wood.

Damn lp furnace kicks in and it wakes me out of a good sleep.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#22]
36 degrees outside, 76 degrees inside.

Heat pump hasn't run in hours, gotta love the wood stove, it would cost an arm and a leg to keep the house at 76 degrees running the heat pump (older heat pump).
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's 7 degrees out right now, Tomorrow has a high of -3 here in northern Illinois.  My stove room is currently in the upper 70s. I have my lopi endavor loaded up with two year seasoned ash and elm.

View Quote

2 year old white oak here.  A bit I saved from the tree that took my roof. It burns nicer than anything I've put through this stove.  It should.  Costliest free wood I ever had.  

Coldest night of the winter so far I think.  Deserves it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
You will have a hard time convincing me that wood burners save money.    Natural gas is cheap.  Chainsaws, log splitters, trees, and back breaking LABOR aren't cheap.

All that being said.  I plan on putting a wood burning stove in my shop.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#25]
How much wood is in that damn shed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Been using one of these for about 30 years now. Sole source of heat. This old farm house leaks air but stays toasty warm no matter if it gets below zero. We usually have to open a window or two. Even buying wood at $45 per rick, i can heat this house for 5+ months for about $450 per year. Wouldn't have it any other way. no power, no problem.  I can cook, heat and heat water.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Natural gas is cheap.  
View Quote

Where available.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Well now that you mention it, I am pretty toasty in the ol' cabin tonight!

Check out the spare cord of wood on the wall.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I about ran us out of the cabin over the weekend.  I was building up heat to keep the furnace from running this week (knowing big cold was coming) and ended up with 93* F.  Yikes!

Furnace won't run all week though.  
View Quote

You have that thing insulated right!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You will have a hard time convincing me that wood burners save money.    Natural gas is cheap.  Chainsaws, log splitters, trees, and back breaking LABOR aren't cheap.

View Quote

They work best when you have a free or cheap source of wood. If you need to buy and you are careful, it's still cheaper than oil or electric. And gas? Cheap now but I wouldn't count on the government keeping it that way.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#32]
28 here outside 74 inside have had a US Stove wood furnace for about 8 years now usually burn 3-4 cords a year.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How much wood is in that damn shed.
View Quote

Mine? Its 16'x 24' outside so I would have to guess about 9 cords. When there is dead wood to cut I get busy, when there isn't much I just sit back and relax. We burn a about 3 cords per year max.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#34]
It's warmed up to the low 50s the last few days so I've had a break from the stove.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people out in the country don't have natural gas service.  There are gas lines from shallow wells right next to me, but not on the property.  Thus cannot be tied in.  Its wood or the heat pump.  Wood gives a nice heat, and there are lots of downed and dead trees for me to cut.  Its a great workout.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#36]
N. Illinois also.  Single digits this week.

Newer home but just put in a Hearthstone Heritage this fall.  Didn't lay up enough wood for this year, but I'll fix that for next winter.

Nothing beats sitting next to a nice fire in your T shirt in the middle of winter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Glad you were able to put that oak to good use.

My neighbor attempted  cut down a small ash tree, when it hit the hill side it shot back off the stump and broke his ankle.  I went back and bucked it up into rounds, he is burning it this year in his fireplace.  He wanted to leave it, but I did not want to let the tree to win.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af295/BRL10/007-3.jpg
View Quote

Dang!

Is it an optical illusion or do you have too many things too close to that stove?

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Use a kitchen queen at camp.  Love it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Cast iron fireplace insert was the best thing I bought last year.

Toasty.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have enough oaks down on my property to last me 5-6 years.  I don't run the wood stove full time, just nights and weekends so I use less than two cords a year.  Once I'm insulated I should be able cut by heat bill by better than half between the wood and my crackpot solar heaters.

The biggest selling point is my wood stove works when the power is out and as long as I'm not a lazy ass I will never run out of fuel for it or have a nozzle/filter clog.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Dang!

Is it an optical illusion or do you have too many things too close to that stove?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af295/BRL10/007-3.jpg

Dang!

Been that way for about 4 years + now with no problems whatsoever.

Believe me I kept an eye on it at first, especially where the chimney goes out through the wall and have had that stove roaring hot at times just to test it.

Never a problem...must be an illusion.

ETA: Slightly different view.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My neighbor attempted  cut down a small ash tree, when it hit the hill side it shot back off the stump and broke his ankle.  I went back and bucked it up into rounds, he is burning it this year in his fireplace.  He wanted to leave it, but I did not want to let the tree to win.
View Quote

Exactly.  It's no longer financial.  It's no longer about keeping my pipes from bursting and my wife comfortable.  With me and that oak it's personal.  

I offer that warning to all.  You come knock a hole in my roof I'm gonna stuff you in my stove and my wife will roast her tootsies by your glow.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Exactly.  It's no longer financial.  It's no longer about keeping my pipes from bursting and my wife comfortable.  With me and that oak it's personal.  

I offer that warning to all.  You come knock a hole in my roof I'm gonna stuff you in my stove and my wife will roast her tootsies by your glow.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing you warned me because I have been thinking about knocking a hole in your roof for a few weeks now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#46]
here.  red oak two years seasoned (one year short) getting ready to CSS some more for 2017!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Buildin a new house this spring with a central boiler with radiant heated floors,  plus a nice lopi in the basement as backup
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

also look at sealing the air envelope!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

so you are some kind of expert on something you plan to get into in the future, right?  and the rest of us burning for decades are "wrong."  OK

even if you don't own a woodlot you an scrounge for wood either free or cheap.  Mine is free so after paying over 300 a month when I tried NOT burning one winter, I realized burning is the only way ! now my bill is less than 100 a month for EVERYTHING.  
Heating wiht a heat pump is crazy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#50]
SE Michigan.

16 degrees now. (winter finally decided to show up)

Have our insert burning the Ash I was waiting to put in until the cold came. Ash kicks out the BTUs!

It's 83 degrees in the hall where the thermostat is.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top