Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
We once had a doc try to do his OR schedule after getting an overnight DUI. I never saw him again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Must have been on call.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't sound like he was drunk.

Somebody may have taken "hookers and blow" to literally
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It happens way more than you want to know. That is all I will personally say about it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
FF/Medic, I'd be fired.

In fact, if I get one off duty, they'd fire me.  My employer's insurance will not cover me and i couldn't drive.

As far as my license, it would probably be suspended and I'd have to go before the state board to get it back.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Practices in Lincoln and he's a former Nebraska player and team doctor. Of course he'll get a slap on the wrist.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt anyone would notice. Sit at my desk, put my earbuds in, and try hard to not fall over and it'd be like any other day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Walk in pissing dominance on everything
Bitch at meetings how women are to blame for all of life's woes
Create arguments during lunch on 45 acp vs 9 mm
Come and post in GD how great of a catch I am for thai trannies

Basically everything a man in GD could hope for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive done it many times, No ones seems to care really, unless they want to you operate some equipment, or the safety guys stop by the job.. Even then, its not that big of a deal... Considering the legal limit is what .08? kill and 18pack and go to bed at 11, your still legally drunk until at least 11am ( if you drink the 18 pack in a span of 6 hours) right?..
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It happens way more than you want to know. That is all I will personally say about it.
View Quote

And not just in the medical profession either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ive done it many times, No ones seems to care really, unless they want to you operate some equipment, or the safety guys stop by the job.. Even then, its not that big of a deal... Considering the legal limit is what .08? kill and 18pack and go to bed at 11, your still legally drunk until at least 11am ( if you drink the 18 pack in a span of 6 hours) right?..
View Quote

If you kill an 18 pack the night before work, you've got some issues.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm drunk right now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]

License is not the same as job. The doc in your article is self-employed, too.

At my job (FF/Paramedic), it would depend on a lot. If I showed up drunk and my crew noticed, they would probably call the BC, tell him I was sick, and call my wife to come get me. The first time at least.

If it got official, I would probably be placed on leave and would have to complete rehab, etc as a condition of my return.

If I got reported to the state, I dunno. Without being charged with an actual crime or acting under my licenses while drunk I'm not sure they would do anything. Probably probation at most.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd lose my job, license, and go to jail.

ETA- That's if I didn't kill myself or someone else, and destroy millions of dollar's worth of aircraft in the process.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I *might* get a slap on the wrist.

I don't really know because I dont know of anyone while a similar job to mine that's been caught drunk. The unspoken understanding is you can be as drunk/stoned/tired/whatever as you want as long as you get your job done. I suspect it (being drunk) probably wouldn't impact my standard day of go in, have a meeting, delegate some work, do some work, eat lunch, verify that the delegated work is getting done, finish up my work, and go home.

As a side note I have known many field workers in the oil and gas industry with drug or alcohol problems. Not as bad as construction, but close.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Fired on the spot, go to jail, license and medical revoked.  It would be an immediate career ender.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I would be removed from my PLT and stuck deep in the bowels of BN staff to rot away until my contract is up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]
my boss fired his son for showing up to work drunk, I imagine he would do the same for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to deal with pharmacist that came to work under the influence of ,,,,,,,,,,,every damn thing you can think of.

And the shit does hit the fan when it happens.    

gd
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
If I showed up drunk, I'd probably be fired. If i showed up an Orthopedic Surgeon, I'd give my two weeks and go find a different job.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I've gotten drunk at work with all my coworkers multiple times.  Drinks at lunch are the norm.  I guess if I came in blasted at 8AM they might tell me to go sleep it off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Any accidents, incidents, injuries etc get an immediate pee in a cup and blow in the tube. Whether they are your fault or not, whether you were involved or not. If it happens on your crew or vehicle, everybody tests on the spot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If I did?

Jail.

Loss of career.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]
For me? Nothing.  Pays to be the boss.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#26]

My best 3 mile was done drunk as shit
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Accident to equipement or injury, or suspicion of drugs or alcohol, zero tolerance,  pee in a cup,  or give blood at hospital.  Paid days off till it comes back.  pos is termination. And blacklisted from that company forever.  If someone has a drug or alcohol problem ,  rehab can be obtained , but only if you sighn up before an incident.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]
The orthos I know do their best work drunk.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#29]

I have seen that happen more than once in the Marine Corps.  No 14 min 3 miles; but we had a Navajo Indian run a 16 min 23 second 3 mile run drunk on his ass. He barfed about half way through and never slowed down. It was during an IG inspection and everyone laughed their ass off.  He popped a perfect 300 on the PFT.  From what I understand it wouldn't fly now days.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like it may be an opiate/Rx issue
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I went into work drunk a few times. It was typically an early saturday shift, and I was out at the bars on friday night. They punished me with shitty work and laughed telling me to "man up," and "you're young, you can take it." They quit scheduling me for saturdays. It didn't take them long to connect the dots... I was drinking with a few coworkers. I tried the I'm sick approach, but they always said I smelled like beer when I was sweating. Oops.

I don't work at a company that applies the rules evenly to everyone. That's the best part of the job.

If I tried that shit on a weekday, they would probably send me home, or make me wish that they did. If it happened more than once or twice, I'd either be fired or put on second shift. I could kiss any raises goodbye, also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Walk in pissing dominance on everything
Bitch at meetings how women are to blame for all of life's woes
Create arguments during lunch on 45 acp vs 9 mm
Come and post in GD how great of a catch I am for thai trannies

Basically everything a man in GD could hope for.
View Quote

For somebody that's only been here a day and a month, you're gonna fit right in!! Welcome!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I was a functional alcoholic for 20 years.

Never once fired for being drunk at work. Written up? sure. Sent home? sure. Had the door to my office closed by the boss so I could "stay out of the way?" Oh yeah. Closed the door to my office so I could catch a "sober up nap?" A whole bunch. Left for lunch and gotten a cell call to "finish the day at home?" About twice a month.

Never fired though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#34]
First time: a diversionary/rehab program with random testing for 2 (?) years.  

Second time:  fired on the spot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#35]
fired on the spot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Old job, my boss would ask where his beer us and why I didn't bring enough for him. New job, I am fired on the spot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So what would happen to you if you showed up for work drunk ?
View Quote

Depends on who the supervisor working was.
Cool boss? Sent home without discipline.
Not cool boss? Captain called, suspended without pay for 30 days, and mandatory alcohol counseling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Depends on what the work was.    It used to be the rule was that nobody would get drunker than the NCO in charge, and if he wasn't good to go in the morning then nobody was working anyways.

These days (i.e. change of career), nothing, as long as you didn't drive yourself in and you still get shit done.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I've written a lot of code while drunk in my day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Depends on the boss and how good of an employee you are.  Most surgeons get away with murder and I bet his suspension is lifted before the six months is up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fired on the spot, go to jail, license and medical revoked.  It would be an immediate career ender.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My best 3 mile was done drunk as shit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Dammit! Drunk! Drunk!  

I usually ran them with hangovers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I fish for a living. Sort of a requirement actually. But I dont if Im in charge of client safety and putting them on fish, if Im not Im two beers deep before we clear the buoys.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#45]
When I worked in a restaurant if you were sober you were the only one as most of my coworkers including managers were either drunk or stoned out of their minds.

my job now I would be fired and sure as hell wouldn't want to even try to be drunk due to a huge risk of being hurt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There was a doctor in ny somewhere, a patient came in and saw him drinking out of a flask. She called the doctor police, whoever they are. This part surprised me. Two investigators jumped in a car ( they probably don't do shit all day) and drove an hour to his office and caught him drunk in his office.

He showed up shitfaced for the disciplinary hearing, they suggested he go home and that he hire a lawyer. He proceeded to accuse them of being in league with his cunt of an ex wife....then he lost his license

View Quote

Just call Aimless!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd lose my job, license, and go to jail.

ETA- That's if I didn't kill myself or someone else, and destroy millions of dollar's worth of aircraft in the process.  

View Quote

Not aircraft, but yeah..

BTW, great hike in my AO to SENOJ lake!

Check it out (Oregon Cascades)
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I did once. I ate a lot of pizza then threw up in the bilge a few times....
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Nothing would happen to me.  It's my company
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

There was a doctor in ny somewhere, a patient came in and saw him drinking out of a flask. She called the doctor police, whoever they are. This part surprised me. Two investigators jumped in a car ( they probably don't do shit all day) and drove an hour to his office and caught him drunk in his office.

View Quote

He showed up shitfaced for the disciplinary hearing, they suggested he go home and that he hire a lawyer. He proceeded to accuse them of being in league with his cunt of an ex wife....then he lost his license

Meanwhile, in NY:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top