by Montgomery Country Child Welfare Service in November after she
let her kids, ages 6 and 10, play at the park two blocks from home
by themselves. She was cited for allowing a child under age 8 "to
be locked or confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor
vehicle while the person charged is absent."

It seemed that we had called their bluff and they were
going to leave us alone. Not for long. This past Saturday,
while I was out of town, my husband dropped my kids off at a park
about 1 mile from our house and said they could walk home together.
They got 1/2 way when someone called the police.

The kids were picked up in a patrol car and brought home. The
policewoman asked to see my husband's ID. When he refused, she said
she was going to call for back-up. He said he would get his ID and
went to go upstairs. She said - in front of the kids - that if he
came down with anything else, "shots would be fired."

Two hours later someone from Child Welfare showed up with a temporary plan, which they wanted my husband to sign, stating that he would not leave the children unsupervised until Monday when someone from their office could contact him.

He refused.

She called the police, saying that if he didn't sign they would take the kids away right then.

I'll keep you posted, too, readers. Since when are children not
supposed to play outside on their own? And what gives the state the
right to take them from their parents when they do?

View Quote

... - TS
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Maryland

What did you expect
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
In.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Fuck CPS

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in the 1990s the Utah Division of Child and Family Services would take kids away from parents just for homeschooling them, among other reasons.

After the Parker Jensen fiasco in 2003 the Utah Legislature stepped in and severely curtailed the DCFS's authority.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do people open the door and actually talk to these people?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fuck CPS

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's very intimidating for someone who has never been investigated before to have Child Protective Services and the police show up on your doorstep demanding to see your kids.  That's why it's very important to know the law before they get there.

Our homeschooling group lawyer made it very clear that if the DCFS ever showed up we should never, ever let them get their hands on the kid, because at that point possession would become 9/10 of the law and it would be difficult to get them back.  As soon as a contact was made we were to tell the caseworker, no, she couldn't come in and no, she couldn't see the children, and then call the lawyer ASAP.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

"The kids were picked up in a patrol car and brought home. The
policewoman asked to see my husband's ID. When he refused, she said
she was going to call for back-up. He said he would get his ID and
went to go upstairs. She said - in front of the kids - that if he
came down with anything else, "shots would be fired.""

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Wife's younger sibling played the CPS complaint card during estate fight.
I'm sure the play was to get something on wife so she would lose control of estate.
I told CPS no court order - no visit.
Also told them to turn over complaint (redacted if required) so I could give to my attorney.
CPS just dropped it
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because if you don't, they'll call in a dynamic entry team and shoot you (or your children--it's a coin toss)?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Maryland and Massachusetts need to be sold to France.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because I wouldn't have got to the the stunned look on the lady's face when my mom told her to piss off.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]
The ex tried to use CPS against me during the divorce.

It didn't work. I stood around and had a great chat with one of them. She told stories on how parents used them to get at the other, and talked about how an investigation was started on her when one of her kids crased a quad and went to the ER. She left when she got a call to go to the hospital to see a toddler who had been whipped with the buckle end of a belt.

All the complaints about me were dismissed as baseless. CPS here seems to have their priorities straight.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Because if you don't, they'll call in a dynamic entry team and shoot you (or your children--it's a coin toss)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They flashbang the kids now.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I know someone who got called in to CPS because some nosey Nelly though she'd left her kids alone locked in a car.  She hadn't, she was on the other side of the car putting a shopping cart in a stall.

CPS showed up at their door and treated them like they were guilty until proven innocent.  Told them they could lose custody if they came back again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The People's Republik of Marylinistan needs to be dug the fuck up and turned into the Chesapeake Bay.

I fucking hate Maryland and about 99.98% of that state is made up of fucking douchebag assholes.

Fuck the state of maryland.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

6 and 10 seem kind of young to send to the park unsupervised
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts. No fucking way kids that young should be left unsupervised anywhere. There may be a few exception but, not many.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
6 and 10yo are plenty old enough to play alone in a park.   Fuck be upon everyone giving that family a hard time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

My thought too.  Seems like shitty parenting to me, and it's putting an unfair burden on the 10 year old to watch out for he younger sibling.  

No fucking way I'd leave my kids at a park without an adult at that age.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Exactly my thoughts. No fucking way kids that young should be left unsupervised anywhere. There may be a few exception but, not many.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At 10 years of age, I was out riding bicycles all over the rural neighborhood with my twin sister.  Rural as in miles and miles of dirt and gravel roads.  We'd leave in the morning, come home for lunch, head back out and be home again for chores (roughly 5:00 pm).  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if they were, there was absolutely no need to bring CPS in to this situation.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"The kids were picked up in a patrol car and brought home. Thepolicewoman asked to see my husband's ID. When he refused, she saidshe was going to call for back-up. He said he would get his ID andwent to go upstairs. She said - in front of the kids - that if hecame down with anything else, "shots would be fired.""  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The kids were picked up in a patrol car and brought home. Thepolicewoman asked to see my husband's ID. When he refused, she saidshe was going to call for back-up. He said he would get his ID andwent to go upstairs. She said - in front of the kids - that if hecame down with anything else, "shots would be fired.""  

Sound's like these people are ignorant as hell and are bringing this on themselves.

When a police officer picks up young children walking along in public its standard protocol to get the ID of the person that the children are being released to. Parents are rarely arrested in this type of situation unless there is clearly abuse/neglect with the kids.

If I were the officer in this case and the parent pulled that refusal to show ID crap with me I'd arrest him for similar charges and  Instead of handing over the kids and telling them have a nice day I'd book the parent into jail and call another family member to take custody of the kids.

Clear case of play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Quoted:

I agree. Then when they get abducted then the parents are going to want a massive manhunt to get them back. Or if they get hit by a car, etc. Pretty irresponsible on the parents part. I wouldn't leave my dog in some random park 2 blocks away unsupervised much less two young children.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At 10 years of age, I was out riding bicycles all over the rural neighborhood with my twin sister.  Rural as in miles and miles of dirt and gravel roads.  We'd leave in the morning, come home for lunch, head back out and be home again for chores (roughly 5:00 pm).    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was doing same in suburban/urban NY at that age.

We had two local parks and a community pool within about 2 miles. Spent most of my summers doing stuff like that.

Shit, at 12, I had a paper route that was about 3 miles from my house and me and my buddies used to go on 10+ mile bike rides to the beach and even (gasp) hop the train into NYC on occasion.

Luckily, no flashbangs were used on my parents.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My thought too.  Seems like shitty parenting to me, and it's putting an unfair burden on the 10 year old to watch out for he younger sibling.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 6 years old I would say goodbye to mom in the morning and go out to play with my friends all damn day.  Climbing trees, riding bikes, running in brooks, whatever. As long as I came back home in time for dinner, all was good.  My kids have been encouraged to do the same.

Most folks I know would be surprised to find out that my parents were shitty parents because of that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

A MILE from their house in the city(because the state of Maryland is a giant city).
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

At 10 I was going to the park alone to fly the model rockets that I had built.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sound's like these people are ignorant as hell and are bringing this on themselves.

When a police officer picks up young children walking along in public its standard protocol to get the ID of the person that the children are being released to. Parents are rarely arrested in this type of situation unless there is clearly abuse/neglect with the kids.

If I were the officer in this case and the parent pulled that refusal to show ID crap with me I'd arrest him for similar charges and  Instead of handing over the kids and telling them have a nice day I'd book the parent into jail and call another family member to take custody of the kids.

I agree. Then when they get abducted then the parents are going to want a massive manhunt to get them back. Or if they get hit by a car, etc. Pretty irresponsible on the parents part. I wouldn't leave my dog in some random park 2 blocks away unsupervised much less two young children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 things.

1.  Most child molestations and abductions are committed by friends and family.

2.  If you have time to bring that parent to jail, then I'd say your dept is over staffed and probably over funded.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here.  and i had a 22 rifle.  and 2 bb guns.  and a go-kart.  at 13 i knew how to drive and helped my old man tear down engines.  i'm in my early 30s!  this wasn't that long ago!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you cede to much power to the government. If the parents want to let the kids play at the park, that should be up to them.
View Quote

Exactly. You punish the fuckers who ruin things for everybody by harming kids that are doing what kids do. You do not punish parents for letting kids play. The attitude that letting kids play by themselves is bad parenting because someone out there might do something illegal and harm them is no different than the liberal attitude that proposes that the government should punish you for innocent ownership,of guns because criminals out there might misuse them.

We do not  punish innocents for the potential crimes of others.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Molon Offspring
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're not going to get abducted.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CPS stupidity aside, 6 is a tad bit young to do this with. Sure the 10 yr old but to watch out for his/her 6 yr old sibling. Eh, I would escort them myself; a distant eye ok but defiantly line of sight. For full disclosure, at 6 I generally was gone from the home sun-up to sun-down in the 'country.' Shit is different now even in rural area; no one should be a helicopter parent but you can't play the same game of 30 yrs ago.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, but they ain't my kids.  

Who am I to tell these people what their kids can or cannot handle.  

Sounds like they've been doing fine except for the busy bodies messing with them.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the age of 8, I had a bike and free rein of Newark, NJ.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The People's Republik of Marylinistan needs to be dug the fuck up and turned into the Chesapeake Bay.

I fucking hate Maryland and about 99.98% of that state is made up of fucking douchebag assholes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen Brother!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Shit, when I was 8 and my brother was 6, we'd walk down to the neighbors house to play in their woods and creek.

Half the time, we had bb guns with us also. Red Ryders, not that fake looking crap with the orange tips.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?

Why not just realize that what YOU perceive as "help" isn't wanted or appreciated and leave these people alone?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn. That's some fucked up shit. My mother made me walk home from school when I got after school detention. And that was like 11-12 miles.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was riding my bike to the 5 and Dime when I was 5 and my sister was 7.

Depends on your kids.

In the ghetto this shit happens all the time with kids a lot younger. No one cares because it's the ghetto.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Depends on your kids.

In the ghetto this shit happens all the time with kids a lot younger. No one cares because it's the ghetto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on your kids.

I agree it depends on the kids.  

And who best to decide based on these particular kids?  The parents.  

If they were doing something illegal it be different.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't fuck with peoples kids.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is the park not a govt run and maintained facility?  So didn't the parents assign supervision to a proper govt agency?  If said govt agency (parks and recreation) fails to provide proper adult supervision during operating hours are they not the principle at fault?
If said govt agency allows children to leave the premises without notification or sign out are they not at fault for lack of proper supervision or possibly abandonment of duties?
Did the parents sign a waiver of indemnity or to hold harmless said govt agency?

The only way to fight govt regulation is with govt regulation....I'm sure they would probably lose on "govt immunity" statutes, but you sure would make a mess of the prosecutor's office proving their case.  They'd probably just say...."screw this, watch your kids from now on , ok?"

All that being said, personally, I would never let a 6 & 10 yo be unsupervised in this day and age. This ain't the 60's no more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Virginians on the other hand are the very souls of politeness and civility.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top