Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2001 12:42:22 PM EDT
Ok, I see a lot of talk about "SHTF" scenarios.

What would a good set of 'standard supplies' be for the average american to have on hand in advance? Let's presume a roughly five grand budget limit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It would depend on how long you plan SHTF to last and how comfortable you want to be during the event.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Y5K?
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and bad weather. I keep about a week's worth of food and a few day's worth of drinking water on hand. Plus weapons, but I had those anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The highest probale shtf would be a natural
disaster:earthquake, hurricane, volcano,
massive river flooding....
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
1/2 gallon of Jim Beam, 12 pack of Coke.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Enough ammo to take what you need[:)].
It was mentioned that the Mormons are well stocked up for emergencies and maybe a little barter or just take their sh1t.[;)]again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, let's say total destruction then: North Korea goes ballistic with nuclear, chemical, and biological. Let's presume you're on the east coast so you don't necessarily automatically die.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
1)1000 rounds of ammo for primary firearms,
2)5000 of .22lr.
3) 200 gals of water in 55 gallon drums.
4) 2 weeks of MRE's and all your camping equipment
5) First Aid & Med Books
6) Solar/Crank powered radio.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]
In the case of nuclear, potassium IODATE not iodide would be first priority. Most of the people who tried the iodide reported that it made them sick to their stomach and the iodate didn't.

Foodwise, you could spend $2k+ if you go with a years supply of Alpine Aire dehydrated food for ONE person. Benefits would be easy and short preparation time, but it does require water. MREs, many say are good only for short term use. Requires no prep (except heating which is optional, but are expensive. Some go the Mormon route and buy grain, rice, salt, and other staples sealed in nitrogen flushed mylar bags. This obviously is much cheaper, but requires much preparation like milling grain to make flour, etc. The best route is get a combination of all as the storage life will vary, dehydrated 10+ years, MREs 5+, and mylar bagged maybe 5+ if the seal holds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Find out who the people are that dont own guns and go shopping. Knock Knock give me you gas and food!
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
In the ultimate SHTF scenario, ammunition becomes the final commodity.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone who is interested in SHTF secnarios should read [u]Patriots: Surviving The Coming Collapse[/u] by James Wesley Rawles.  You can buy it at Amazon.com but if you buy it through [url]keepandbeararms.com[/url] they get a percentage back.  

You better buy at least two though, every one of your buddies are going to want a copy!

Great book.  I bought two and am planning to buy several more; friends, libary, etc...

[img]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/patriots.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

hehe, thats all some guys i know take on a snowmobile trip, or fishing,or hunting, probably anywhere.

i see no need to have a year supply of food. its the SHTF is gonna last that long it would be time to hunt and grow food. if its aa month long deal you would want pre paked food(MRE) but for a year, thats when you would switch t operminate sustanance mode. i also belive .22 ammo would be important. hunting and stuff. also NATO standard Cals. would be good to have, even if you couldnt shoot them(trading) also 7.62x39. water for short term, simple  water purifiying gear for long term. fuel. LP and gasoline.

me and some friends have a SHTF site. only one gun with ammo (sawed off shotgun) but we could survive down there forever with 3 good ponds, 2 of witch are loaded with fish. it also has close proximity to the river. if TSHTF we would live like primitive kings in our hideaway wonderland. my friend also had reloading gear, including TONS of shotgun stuff. between me and my "small circle we have 40 guns easy, probly more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Enough ammo to take what you need[:)].
It was mentioned that the Mormons are well stocked up for emergencies and maybe a little barter or just take their sh1t.[;)]again.
View Quote

Beware, the Mormons are well prepared in all areas. They do not leave themselves velnerable with all their supplies. There are probably more guns here in Utah per capita than any other state. I'm not mormon, but I am friends with some who have TONS of food storage. (Just in case)
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is no where near enough Jim Beam.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Posted by Oslow: That is no where near enough Jim Beam.

Sure it is, by the time Im done with the 1/2 gallon I would have figured out how to build a still. hehehehe

BTW how usefull a commodity would alcohol be?
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
 90 days' worth of canned goods
 100 lbs. flour
 50 lbs. rice
 50 lbs. beans
 Drink mix w/Vitamin C
 1 gal. water/day per person, or a well that doesn't need a pump (hand pump or bucket & rope)
  5000 rnds .22, more if possible
  1-2000 rnds combat rifle ammo
  1000 rounds pistol ammo
   Learn to reload!
   MOST IMPORTANT! Learn a necessary skill.  Docs and dentists will do OK no matter what happens.  Buy a diesel vehicle, and store diesel fuel.  Get together with a few like-minded friends, you'll have to sleep sometime.  Food and .22 ammo are cheap, stock up and rotate your stock.  E-mail me if you want more info.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Amen to the mormons. they are some different people. too perfect. hmm I lived here in UT aswell adn they frankly worry me. it's like i am in some sort of other demension. they can see right through my nonmormonism. I need guns to protect mysel from Brigham Youngs disciples.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
hummmmm...... liquor and smokes, that would be good, hell. make your self a shine stihl(spelling?) if you made good moon shine you would be able to barter all the goods you ever needed. that would be good for long term
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#22]
posted by mattsd: hummmmm...... liquor and smokes, that would be good

Yeah we could have ATF night at my place, alcohol, tobacco, and firearms. Maybe eventually we will figure out how to spell still. The hell with it, from here on out I rename it 101_proof.

Garand Shooter.... you gonna make it to the VA shoot tomorrow???
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Dont forget the early Mormons kicked the US goverments ass when they tried to tell them what to do
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]
In case of SHTF, I think the Mormon nation would be triumphant.
1) Organized
2) Prepared
  I can't think of any other group that would be in as good of shape except possibly the military.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe eventually we will figure out how to spell still. The hell with it, from here on out I rename it 101_proof.
View Quote

i thought maybe it wasnt spelled like normal still.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE FAN:
Dont forget the early Mormons kicked the US goverments ass when they tried to tell them what to do
View Quote

That was when they had many wifes to each fella.
Personally I dont have that much patience but they musta thought it was worth fighting for.
Anyway that was then and this is today.
I am sure they are quite well armed, and the numbers of Morons are staggering. But everyone slips up once in a while. The Morons would be hard pressed defending themselves against todays Army.
No disrespect meant towards the Mormons, well maybe just a little.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm just going to unplug the fan[:)]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Rich314, what ya got against mormons, personally I don't know any, but I don't have a problem with anybody so long as they don't cause problems for me. Maybe I'm missing something though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I know a Mormon guy. He probably has more guns and ammo than most of the people (except foxtrot echo delta Steyraug) on here. If it weren't for him I would probably be a hci member by now. From what I have seen the Mormons are the most prepared group of people in the U.S. Why else do you think that most of the long term food storage places are based in Utah?
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I plan to buy some land and a cabin in the rocky mountains, far away from any big cities (er...Denver) with a handpumped well.  After that, what you need is:

battle rifle (ar15 for me, no $  cause I already have it), for people who do find me and aren't nice :D

5000rnds .223 (you have to run out sometime, and that is only $600)

Japanese Wakisuzi (sp?, short katana), as a general purpose/fighting blade (about the size of a machete, but blade infinetely stronger) ($1400)

reloading equipment ($900?)
10/22 or other 22 (most already have)
30000 rounds of .22 ($600 worth, not much $)

BDUs, heavy cold gear, etc. ($500 per person)

$500 of canned goods/non perishable items

but $5000 is not enough really.  You need things like a very large kerosene tank, you have to make sure your lamps/vehicles/stoves can run on kerosene (or wood for stove).  You need fences, traps, premade explosives, fishing ponds, gieger counters, work animals (dog, horse), hay, etc.  It would cost more than $5000 for a nice SHTF senario.

james
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I WOULD RATHER DIE AND GO BE WITH jesus THEN LIVE LIKE THAT!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#34]
[url]www.survivalnet.org[/url]  this site has lots of real good info on this subjest, and he is allways trying to improve the site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top