Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 4:20:25 PM EDT

I have looked for a while  and can't come up with anything so I thought I would call on the power of Arfcom.  My son wants bunk beds for Christmas.

I thought it would be better if I bought him a starter set of tools and we built them together. I'd build something with my son, I'd build better quality than I can buy

and I'd probably do it cheaper.

The problem is I can't seem to find any good plans. I'm willing to pay for them but half the sites that seem to sell them default to a site that ask you to pay before you see anything.

I'm looking for something kind of specific. It looks like this...

I could try to "wing it and it'd probably be ok but I'd rather not. I've built a house but not furniture.

Anyone have any resources they recommend?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want to post this over on Woodnet. It's the ARFCOM of the woodworking world.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember, directions are for women.

That's a nice set you have in the picture

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have any MakerShops in your area?

Check out opendesk.cc, and use their map search feature.

Also, any cabinet shop with a CNC setup could do this for you as well.

CNC-cut plywood triple bunk
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]

If you like loft beds, the OP Loft Bed is awesome. They'll sell you the plans and even the hardware if you want.

OP stands for "Orgy Proof."

Seriously.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks awesome!  And it leaves so much room for activities!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
personaly if it were me i would get one of the ones with the futon on the bottom. that way hes got a couch to play games and such from.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
So much more room for activities!

eta, better have a high ceiling in the room that you put that bunkbed pictured in the first post, OP.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet you could build that with out plans. Im looking at right now and tempted to make one for my son... If you have any kind of building experience you should be able to look at that and figure it out for your self.. Might not turn out to the exact specs as that one, but it would be a custom one of a kind build... Dont sell you self short op, if you think you can do it try it, for me half the fun of building something is figuring out how to make it, any moron can screw two boards together, but to take wood and create something functional is were talent is needed..
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Build bunkbeds.

Build bunkbed storage staircase.

Attach.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So much more room for activities!
http://v008o.popscreen.com/MTlnSUtxVXFQeGMx_o_step-brothers---bunk-beds.jpg

eta, better have a high ceiling in the room that you put that bunkbed pictured in the first post, OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bet you could build that with out plans. Im looking at right now and tempted to make one for my son... If you have any kind of building experience you should be able to look at that and figure it out for your self.. Might not turn out to the exact specs as that one, but it would be a custom one of a kind build... Dont sell you self short op, if you think you can do it try it, for me half the fun of building something is figuring out how to make it, any moron can screw two boards together, but to take wood and create something functional is were talent is needed..
View Quote
I could probably build it like you said. I just like to be a bit organized and don't like to "freelance" so much.  I actually have everything I need except a table saw. Might just try to mock it up in visio first and then build it.

BTW that CNC cut bunk was nothing short of awesome. I know where they have a LARGE cnc router for a cabinet shop. That guy does custom stuff too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I decided to build my own.  I have drawn everything out for the bottom bunk and  have built it. It's an incredibly sturdy twin bed. I wrote the plans so that anyone after me could build these things.

My total wood cost on the Full bed  is about 80 dollars. It's actually pretty nice. I made it from pine and used appearance grade boards where they were available. For the legs (2x6") I just picked through the offerings at home depot until I found some really nice straight boards.

Build time including the trip to home depot is about a day, if you have the tools.

For this project I purchased a Kreg pocket joint kit. It makes really strong joints pretty easily. It's not fine furniture grade but it looks ok and it's suitable for bunk beds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is the finished top bunk head and foot board.  These can be built using only a skill saw, a Kreg Jig and a drill. All the Big boards are framing pine and the rest is just common pine. It's all from Home Depot.

If you want them to look real nice you need a hand planer and some sand paper. The stain is Minwax "Gun Stock".

I know... I need to take down my Christmas tree and that's my Catahoula looking in the window to the right wondering what I am doing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Almost done. I just have to finish the stairs/dresser. It turned out great so far.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top