Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2014 12:58:56 AM EDT
I've shot a bow exactly once. A compound bow that a relative owned, it was at least 15 years ago.

Now I'm interested in getting a recurve bow for no good reason whatsoever, just another hobby to pick up. Is it possible to watch youtube videos and teach myself to shoot it correctly and well? Part of me wants to think it would be more nuanced than say rifle or handgun just because your body controls more variables with the draw, release, etc. But is that taught or just picked up from practice?  I've read enough to measure my wingspan and get my bow size, draw length, etc.

There is apparently a national-competition-level instructor near me, but I can't justify the cost of a few lessons for what will be an idle pass time.

My range has an archery area with 3d targets and I could park a box target in the backyard easily. Buy a Samick Sage and go or it? Or take lessons and learn the right way to do it?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
not a sage
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
If I can teach myself logarithmic math out of a text book....you can learn to shoot a bow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.bowhuntingoutlet.com/idiot_proof-archery-book.html?&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-uWjBRChu9ie05m5ipgBEiQAuHIuK_XJZT8XO5dB7cHl-LK_s-oteoYeWP8zCNyDhayO9qsaAnMU8P8HAQ

Worked for me.  I had never shot a bow before.  2 years later my Dad and I won our division in 3D league...and I beat him every week but the first and the 2nd to last.

That and range time once or twice a week during my lunch breaks.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely. I never took lessons. I shot a lot, and took advice from guys who were better than me. Like shooting, there isn't just one right way.

Similar idea - repeatability of the fine details. Shoot a lot and if you still can't get consistent, consider a lesson.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome. Thanks guys!

Surprisingly, GD seems helpful tonight.  WTF is this!?

I may get myself a bow for Christmas.  Why NOT a sage? on archery forums/sites I've read they are the shit. And definitely in my price range. And changeable limbs for when I get strong like bull.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
meant to add this

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, the basics are basic

if you can aim and shoot a gun, you can teach yourself to shoot a bow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#9]
My advice would be to find a nearby archery range and get a lesson there.
You'll get a taste of the sport and decide if you want to pursue it any further before sinking any money into purchases.
You'll also get some decent instruction and learn some basic good habits.
I'd also suggest you buy your first bow at an archery shop- they'll measure you properly for the bow and the arrows.

Once you've done that, then you'll get more out of youtube/interwebz instruction.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, but it pays to have some humility.

I bought a compound bow.  I shot it, and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it.  

I took it in to a proshop, and asked them to look it over and see if it was tuned correctly and whether it was properly fitted to me.  They said it checked out, and asked me to shoot it in their lane, I confessed that I was a terrible shot and asked for some pointers.  Two shots down the lane after some advice, and I was good to go.  Took it to the range that afternoon, and started plugging away at the bullseye.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Easily.  I pretty much taught myself.  Buy a bow at an archery store and they'll help you set it up and give you some "noob tips".  Then watch some youtube videos by competent archers and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
meant to add this

http://youtu.be/bgoA8ZDhGRY
View Quote

So the Sage is as good as it's competitors/alternatives and "not bad"... Feller in the video definitely failed his highschool "persuasive essay" assignment.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check on local community college lessons.
View Quote

That my actually be a good idea I hadn't thought of
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah just research and invest in good gear.
Plan on busting plenty of arrows.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I shoot a Hoyt MT Sport with ZR 200 limbs. I think I said that right. I've had the bow for a decade. Same string and cable. I know nearly nothing about archery tech specs but can group respectably at 40 yards.

Currently pull weight is roughly 60#, my next bow will be 90# because Joe Rogan and Cameron Hanes pull that and I'm a silly fanboy.

Truth in GD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I taught myself how to make indian style flatbows, Shooting them is the relatively easy part!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#20]
A Samick Sage is an excellent bow for the price. If you don't get proper training, you'll just commit mistakes to muscle memory. You should probably get some proper training, and do not over-bow yourself. You should start with 25-30lb limbs, you can always buy heavier ones as you improve.

Another option would be a Hoyt Excel. Hoyt are excellent bows. An Excel would definitely give you more mileage, more room to grow. It'll also be lighter and more durable. And lets face it, it looks cooler.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Not really.

You will eventually learn from the mistakes, but having someone who knows what to do will put you literally years ahead of yourself only.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Probably like anything else, you could benefit from instruction.

Correcting errors early on is important, before they become ingrained bad habits. It's much harder to unlearn a bad habit than it is to learn correctly from the get go.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I did, compound bows . Started when I was 14. I Became one of the top indoor and outdoor known distance competition shooters in my region. I was a decent 3D competition shooter, but I suck at judging yardage. Known distance from 20-100 yards though, few around here could out shoot me. So yes, as long as you pay attention and practice a lot, you sure can teach yourself. When I was heavy into competition, I would practice 2-3 hours every day, from 20 to 100 yards. It takes a lot of time a dedication to be competitive.

Recurves and longbows are fun as hell, and take a lot of practice to be effective with one. A LOT of practice. But like I said, it is fun as hell and makes for a great hobby. Definitely worth the time and effort. I never really got into traditional shooting, but I did have one of my compounds set up for instinctive shooting just for fun.

Sadly, I had to sell off my gear a few years ago when I was having some financial troubles. One of these days I will get back into it, just been spending to much on gun related stuff lately to do it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Buy a book.

Or watch some videos on youtube.

Then practice.

People teach themselves how to cook, play the piano, and all sorts of stuff.  Go for it man.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:45:56 AM EDT
[#26]
If you can find someone to show you the basics, that would save you a lot of frustration and developing bad habits.  If you can't, search for youtube videos and read this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Instinctive-Shooting-Step---Step-Bowhunting/dp/0936531053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417329839&sr=8-1&keywords=G.+Fred+Asbell
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot a lot in high school. I had my bow stolen out of my car back then, and have never shot again.  Regret it. Don't see why you shouldn't be able to teach yourself. Just keep practicing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I like crossbows, but don't like the "twang" they make, the deer know what it means and run the second they hear it. Depending on your distance you may be off and wound the sucker or miss altogether.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:26:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Buy a book.

Or watch some videos on youtube.

Then practice.

People teach themselves how to cook, play the piano, and all sorts of stuff.  Go for it man.
View Quote

No, that's dumb. No offense but self taught is not the path to optimal results. It's actually the worst way to learn anything.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Make yourself a nice PVC longbow to start.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:46:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I can teach myself logarithmic math out of a text book....you can learn to shoot a bow.
View Quote

I've learned log, trig, and a metric fuck ton of chem on my own and I still can't quite figure out if I'm holding a damn bow right
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
meant to add this

http://youtu.be/bgoA8ZDhGRY
View Quote

That video could be about Glocks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#33]
lol I should of included a  

I bought a GO primal bow and have been playing with it with marginal success . A traditional take down would have been better but I keep it under the back seat of the truck where it gets beat around a bit.

btw I used to bow hunt and shoot bows for fun years and years ago .

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#35]
With the internet and a place to shoot, hell yeah.  You can learn more and be better than many who call themselves pros at the archery pro-shops.  Especially at a Bass Pro Shop archery pro-shop.

Google the Nuts and Bolts of archery and read up in the archerytalk forums.   Easton also has a good archery guide and there are plenty of videos.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I found archery to be more complicated than the rifle......at the extreme ends.  Have fun OP.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I taught myself the basics with a PSE Silverhawk (an entry level compound bow), but I didn't get decent with it until I ponied up for a professional lesson.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#38]
If you can't teach yourself archery you need to go back in your mom's basement.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yes, the basics are basic

if you can aim and shoot a gun, you can teach yourself to shoot a bow.
View Quote

Throwing darts, throwing a football or just throwing rocks in a bucket is more like shooting a recurve.  Using a compound with sights is like a rifle - once you sight it in it's good.  The recurve takes lots of practice.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I taught myself.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#41]
The hardest part (which isnt hard) is getting your peep sight set.

As someone stated, muscle memory and judging distance

Youll love shooting
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes. Watch YouTube videos by Team Fitzgerald. Their videos on instinctive shooting are very good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like crossbows, but don't like the "twang" they make, the deer know what it means and run the second they hear it. Depending on your distance you may be off and wound the sucker or miss altogether.
View Quote

Shoot a faster bow. And use a better bow. TenPoint bows are quiet. Sims stuff helps too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Sure  thats how I done it but I started when I was 8 I am 35 now and still figuring it all out

Archerytalk is the ar15 of all things archery
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I really enjoy my longbows and recurves
I shoot a lot better if I cant (tilt) the bow approximately 40°/45° or so while looking down the shaft

Went a long time shooting the bow vertically out of habit from shooting a compound
But when I figured out how to tilt the bow I'm able to hit a 9" pie plate consistently at 25+ yards

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you can find someone to show you the basics, that would save you a lot of frustration and developing bad habits.  If you can't, search for youtube videos and read this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Instinctive-Shooting-Step---Step-Bowhunting/dp/0936531053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417329839&sr=8-1&keywords=G.+Fred+Asbell
View Quote

+1 to this book. I borrowed it from the library and it helped a lot. My wife bought me a Sage a few years ago and it has held up and provided me with plenty of fun thus far- but I don't hunt or compete; just fun with my son in the yard.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes you can. You can teach yourself to shoot well and hit a target at 40 yards or so with no problems.

If you want to become more accurate and consistent then I would look at some instruction. It's the same as shooting. A instructor can see things that you are doing wrong that you can not see for yourself.

Depends on how far you want to take it really.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#48]
you can teach yourself to shoot a bow by yourself.

an instructor just speeds that process up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Easily.  I pretty much taught myself.  Buy a bow at an archery store and they'll help you set it up and give you some "noob tips".  Then watch some youtube videos by competent archers and you'll be fine.
View Quote

Yes, when I was active duty and buddy of mine would go out at lunchtime and practice on our own. This was before the days of the internet. I will admit, for the gear we had, we were good. Was shooting a Bear Whitetail hunter - old school. It must be alot easier now.    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top