Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/29/2014 12:59:01 PM EDT
Im not talking about hanging out to the point that you might as well carry open, I'm talking about mild printing and maybe some holster showing if you bend over?

I am looking for a new carry rig because 9 times out of 10 I leave my gun in the car, I have a little key safe that is cabled around the back seat struts.....because I find carrying IWB too much of a pain in the ass and it kills my lower back. I was looking at Blackpoint Tacticals Leather Wing.

http://www.blackpointtactical.com/shop/leather-wing/

Its an OWB but the wings get it to kinda wrap around the body and keep it as concealed as possible. I figure the advantage of carrying more often offset the downsides.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I try not to print, but if I do so be it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Not at all. It's not a big deal where I live. (MT)
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

No one but other gun owners will know what it is.

Plus I own the company I work at. I could open carry if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I try not to print but dont find it a big deal if I do.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
No one ever notices. Those that do don't care.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Only if I'm really serious about being concealed.
Most of the time I OC, so if I'm wearing a jacket or sweater that covers my pistol I really don't care if I'm printing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I always print, cursive sucks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Comptac IWB holster and my shield = almost no printing ever.

Comptac IWB holster and my G19 = will print with a tight shirt, so i wear loose shirts.

I dress around the gun and dont really give a shit if the sheep see it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Also, I got my holster custom made by a local guy. Similar to crossbreed holsters. Well worth the money
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope.

No one but other gun owners will know what it is.

Plus I own the company I work at. I could open carry if I wanted to.
View Quote

Agreed. I've gotten over it. Those who recognize the print won't care. Most wouldn't know unless you had a neon sign pointing it out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I put a little effort into not printing, but I don't care too much if it happens.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope, don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Outside the waist at 2:30. Fishing shirt untucked. It prints a little but no one notices.

I normally forget it is there. You need to carry 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I put a little effort into not printing, but I don't care too much if it happens.
View Quote

I did just buy a smaller carry gun. Not due to printing, the 9c was just too much bulk and I found myself not carrying often enough because of it
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not at all. It's not a big deal where I live. (MT)
View Quote

This when I CC, mostly I OC. God I love Montana
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I could care less with mild printing but no one is going to notice anyway.
Hell you could open carry and I bet 99% of people wouldn't notice.
Might look at a Raven OWB for a holster if you don't mind kydex.
I carry a Sig229 in one which is a pretty good size gun and it hides it really well.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Nobody notices anyway. People are generally absorbed in their own little world and don't pay attention to anything else.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I try not to print because I'm constantly being checked out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my permit a couple months ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how not to print. I know its fine and most people don't notice, but it's still a mental thing for me.

A few other things I've learned thus far:

- It's hard to hug people while carrying (I'm Baptist, we hug everybody)
- Going to the bathroom poses some challenges
- Carrying in the car or while sitting in some chair is super uncomfortable
- I'm always paranoid that my shirt rose up and is exposing my gun behind me
- My lower back gets sore after a few hours of carrying
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, because in Utah that could be construed as "brandishing", although in reality the cops would probably just give you some stern advice about keeping it concealed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just got my permit a couple months ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how not to print. I know its fine and most people don't notice, but it's still a mental thing for me.

View Quote

After carrying for a couple of moths, you'll figure out that NOBODY notices and the statistically insignificant number of people who *might* simply don't care.

In short, barring some weird fucking law, you're the only person in the world concerned about your gun printing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes, because in Utah that could be construed as "brandishing", although in reality the cops would probably just give you some stern advice about keeping it concealed.
View Quote

Can you link the law you're referring to?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
No fucks given.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I know a lot of guys don't like to carry appendix as the pistol is pointing at the family jewels,  but it is very comfortable. Very concealable. Doesn't hurt your back.  You do need a fairly short-barreled pistol.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

No, I don't really care. Fortunately, I live in a state that doesn't penalize printing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know a lot of guys don't like to carry appendix as the pistol is pointing at the family jewels,  but it is very comfortable. Very concealable. Doesn't hurt your back.  You do need a fairly short-barreled pistol.

View Quote

My wife says the same thing.

I have come to the conclusion that men and women are shaped differently. I can't comfortably carry the same gun in the same positions she can,
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Outside the waist at 2:30. Fishing shirt untucked. It prints a little but no one notices.

I normally forget it is there. You need to carry 100% of the time.
View Quote

That is where I am at right now mentally. With things being the way things are......Id just feel better carrying 100% of the time.

I think the general consensus is most likely correct, most people would never notice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an appendix carry for my G19, Haleys Incog. Its great standing up but when I sit down it digs into my gut.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Lol no

I've been using an old military shoulder holster which has a  strap that is always visible unless my coat is zipped up.  1911s are well suited for the shoulder carry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I wear tee shirts for work and do a lot of bending over and reaching up, climbing up and down ladders, and sometimes crawling. I don't carry at work ever so it isn't an issue for me. Company policy is to not carry in a client's house anyway.

My holster is a IWB type, but I'm too fat right now to carry comfortably and have it conceal under a tee anyway. I'm also over wearing an untucked collared shirt all the time just to conceal. I don't have an OWB set-up because it printed even more than the IWB set up.

It's been quite liberating to not feel that I have to carry everyday, and I don't really go anywhere on the weekends so the Shield just stays home lately.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#34]
No. Most people don't even notice open carry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#35]
No.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

As far as the hugging goes, use your arm / elbow to block your gun
Put your arm down at your side hanging over your gun and bend your arm at the elbow like your are putting your hand on their waist. This will redirect their arm higher around your neck / shoulder. Use your other arm to hug them.
Technique I learned to block the women from discovering my gun.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#37]
who cares,,  I carry for my right to defend myself......  I could give a shit how anyone else feels....  since I'm fallowing the law
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Coverd is concealed. Printing is not exposed. Exposed is careless and sloppy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I carry a xdm 45 under a t-shirt and nobody notices.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couple observations on your points above: Seems like you carry in the small of your back?
-When hugging someone, intentionally keep your arms low, thereby forcing the other person to hug you higher on your torso.
-You should consider moving your gun to the side, about 3 or 4 o clock max. In a fight you may be on your back and unable to access your weapon. Same thing with reloads.
-Get yourself a good IWB holster. I have a Desantis Intruder for a G19. Very comfortable and easily concealable. It may take you several tries to find a good holster/gun combo before its real comfortable.
-Wear appropriate clothes, and practice discreet motions to check if your exposed. The only time I really check anymore is exiting my truck or if I removed a jacket or sweater. Over time these motions and your concern will become part of your routine.
-Carry all the time, even when at home. It gets you used to the weight on your belt and in the bathroom, you can practice arranging your pants or other things so your weapon remains discreet.
-Most of all, realize that few people are actually paying that much attention to you. Those that are and notice your carrying don't care.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Put your arm down at your side hanging over your gun and bend your arm at the elbow like your are putting your hand on their waist. This will redirect their arm higher around your neck / shoulder. Use your other arm to hug them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My hugging technique is to put my right arm down low around their waist, I am right handed and carry at the 3:00-4:00 position, and my left arm goes high across their shoulder. With the girls and ladies I'm more familiar with then both arms are around their waist. This forces them to hug me around the neck.

I did have one gal come up beside me on the left and wrap her arm right arm around my waist while i wrapped my left around her waist, a sideways hug if you will. If she noticed I was carrying she didn't react or say. I'm guessing she didn't realize.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#42]
No, no one notices any way.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Nope, don't give a shit.
View Quote
I live in the patron state of shooting stuff.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

What #2? Take it out of your holster and put it in your pulled down pants.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I do care, it's tough not to print with the lighter clothing I wear here in the summer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Couple observations on your points above: Seems like you carry in the small of your back? Nope, 4:30
-When hugging someone, intentionally keep your arms low, thereby forcing the other person to hug you higher on your torso.
-You should consider moving your gun to the side, about 3 or 4 o clock max. In a fight you may be on your back and unable to access your weapon. Same thing with reloads. 3:00-4:00 sticks out bad for me. I suppose that's just my body type, but I need it a little farther back to conceal well.
-Get yourself a good IWB holster. I have a Desantis Intruder for a G19. Very comfortable and easily concealable. It may take you several tries to find a good holster/gun combo before its real comfortable. I have a quality holster and belt, and it has taken some money to figure out what I like. So far what I have is by far the most comfortable option for me.
-Wear appropriate clothes, and practice discreet motions to check if your exposed. The only time I really check anymore is exiting my truck or if I removed a jacket or sweater. Over time these motions and your concern will become part of your routine. I normally wear a loose untucked shirt or jacket of some sort, but it still rides up when I bend over or stand up from a sitting position.
-Carry all the time, even when at home. It gets you used to the weight on your belt and in the bathroom, you can practice arranging your pants or other things so your weapon remains discreet.
-Most of all, realize that few people are actually paying that much attention to you. Those that are and notice your carrying don't care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couple observations on your points above: Seems like you carry in the small of your back? Nope, 4:30
-You should consider moving your gun to the side, about 3 or 4 o clock max. In a fight you may be on your back and unable to access your weapon. Same thing with reloads. 3:00-4:00 sticks out bad for me. I suppose that's just my body type, but I need it a little farther back to conceal well.
-Get yourself a good IWB holster. I have a Desantis Intruder for a G19. Very comfortable and easily concealable. It may take you several tries to find a good holster/gun combo before its real comfortable. I have a quality holster and belt, and it has taken some money to figure out what I like. So far what I have is by far the most comfortable option for me.
-Wear appropriate clothes, and practice discreet motions to check if your exposed. The only time I really check anymore is exiting my truck or if I removed a jacket or sweater. Over time these motions and your concern will become part of your routine. I normally wear a loose untucked shirt or jacket of some sort, but it still rides up when I bend over or stand up from a sitting position.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I have been just taking the holster off with the gun in it and setting it on the toilet paper holder thing or on some other surface.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Hugging advice like above does work if you keep your arm low. Where you have to be careful is kids, mostly because they'll give you a hug with no warning. And if they're short enough they're really hugging your thigh.... or waist... and at times might get some rear sight marks in the forehead if they take a running start....

Recently I've moved from iwb to pocket carry, it's a lot easier to carry and basically forget about it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have been just taking the holster off with the gun in it and setting it on the toilet paper holder thing or on some other surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's definitely better than removing a loaded firearm from the holster just to take a shit which strikes me as asking for trouble.

I have pulled my pants down to just below my knees and fastened my belt (Ares) to keep it in place.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top