Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/29/2014 10:38:55 AM EDT
My feet usually stay warm but my toes freeze wearing my old gortex boots with thinsulate 400 gram and my rubber boots with thinsulate. I've been wearing merino wool socks.   My toes still painfully freeze while I'm out there.  I hate toe warmers because my feet sweat on the move.  What works?  I'm ready to drop $200 on a pair of new boots.

I should add I hunt in PA mountains.  Yesterday was 25 degree high with snow on the ground.  Yeah I know I'm a pansy compared to you Canadians and wannabe Canadians in MI & Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was younger and your hunted in the Northeast my feet always got cold the matter what leather boots I wore..
One Christmas my dad bought me a pair of Sorels.  
My feet stayed much warmer and much drier.  Now I live in Florida and wear flip-flops
which  of course is your second choice.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I wore the rubber mickey mouse boots with double felt liners when in Montana.  I never got cold
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wore the rubber mickey mouse boots with double felt liners when in Montana.  I never got cold
View Quote

Tried them in northern MI.  My feet still got cold.  I have never found a boot that really keeps my feet warm.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
It is hard to beat Sorel's for the price.  I bought a pair of UnderArmor 800 gram boots last year and wore them ice fishing several times.  They kept my feet warm and are comfortable to walk long distances.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]
try polypro sock liners. They wick away sweat and kept my toes from getting cold when I used to duck hunt a lot.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My toes and fingers get cold if I walk by the fridge. I have been out hunting here in SD until last night when I shot a small doe, and my mickey mouse boots are the ONLY boots that will keep my feet warm. I've tried all the latest boots, some are ok, some not any better than others, none are as warm as mickey mouse boots.

Sidenote, I can wear uninsulated hiking boots, with rubber overshoes and move snow for a couple hours and my feet stay warm, but doesn't take 15 minutes without the overshoes. Obviously has something to do with the thick rubber.

Mickey Mouse is your answer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#8]
800 gram should be more than warm enough for your AO. Also those new insole heaters with the remote are the cats ass. Check them out here
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Archery hunting will warm you feet in a rather spectacular fashion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Great boots.. I wear them hunting and have worn them working in the winter building houses etc.  Just remove that lining at night and you are GTG in hte morning.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I like Muck for ice fishing, go oversize because too tight = too cold.  Leave room for good socks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
They do make the heated insoles which is always an option.  From what I have read the charge will last between 5-8 hours depending on the heat setting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Get some alpaca socks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
try polypro sock liners. They wick away sweat and kept my toes from getting cold when I used to duck hunt a lot.
View Quote

I have these under the merino wool socks.  They are dry cold toes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a pair of Baffin boots I bought back when I was still in Michigan. My feet never got cold, ever.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Irish Setter Elk Tracker 1000g
Smart wool socks
Sock liners

This works for me, not too hot for hiking to the stand
Warm enough for sub freezing temps on the stand
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#17]
First I would get rid of the wool socks. Then I would look at getting a 800-1200 gram boot. Make sure you get them a full size to 1 1/2 size bigger than you need. If your hunting in a blind remember to wiggle your toes a bit, the extra room in your new boots will help. Change your socks after a couple of hours. My feet sweat like no other and have to change them after a few hours
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorels.  I wear them whenever I have to go through snow.  Feet stay warm and dry.  Too bad they're not made in Canada anymore.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I like Muck for ice fishing, go oversize because too tight = too cold.  Leave room for good socks.
View Quote
Yup.

Circulation is the key. Don't wear it too tight, whatever it is.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Boots with removable liners or get a boot dryer. Make sure you are starting out dry. Try spraying feet with antiperspirant everyday starting a few days in advance. Make sure your boots are not too tight, if you plan on  wearing more then one pair of socks then try the boots on with the extra socks on, tight boots are cold boots. Don't tie the tops of the boots too tightly or wear socks with strong elastic at the top that can restrict blood flow to your feet. You are on the right track with your choice of sock.

That's about all I got.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#23]
http://m.basspro.com/Rocky-Arktos-9-Waterproof-Insulated-Hunting-Boots-for-Men-Realtree-Xtra/product/14020409114634/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.basspro.com%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FNavigation%3FstoreId%3D10151%26catalogId%3D10051%26langId%3D-1%26searchTerm%3DRocky%2Bboots

Crap it didn't hot link. I got the 1200 gram and haven't had any problems with cold feet.
They are built well and have a heck of a lug sole for support.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Just ran across these too. Thermacell Heated Insoles. Don't know anything about them, but like the remote control idea. Seems like a pair of these in a pair of sorrels would keep the nip away.

You can also put cayenne pepper in your socks.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tried them in northern MI.  My feet still got cold.  I have never found a boot that really keeps my feet warm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The white ones are better insulated than the black ones. I've got both. Once I was wearing them late season duck hunting on a particularly cold winter day when the spray and waves had built up a 4 foot tall mound of ice all along the shore of lake Ontario when a couple decoys near shore broke loose. Instead of messing with the canoe I just went in and ended up chasing a decoy into waist deep water. After I got out we hunted about another hour, I was freezing but somehow the boots warmed up. It was strange having warm feet with water sloshing around in the boots while I was literally freezing my ass off. My pants really ended up iced over on the outer layer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Electric socks man.  Work great for treestand hunting
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They do make the heated insoles which is always an option.  From what I have read the charge will last between 5-8 hours depending on the heat setting.
View Quote

I've heard these don't work well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Red Wing Irish Setters.  800 grams, Gore-Tex, feet NEVER good wet or cold.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorrels are good but I've never been comfortable walking very far in them.

Lacrosse makes some good hybrid pack boots that fit and move well enough to make hiking comfy.

+1 on liner socks, good loose wool socks, boots sized to allow for socks and circulation.

Stand hunting requires that you have clothes to put on once seated. There is no way to wear what you're gonna wear sitting there, while walking in without either roasting (and sweating) on the way in, or freezing when sitting there.

Down over boots are another option. Put them on once in the stand.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Schnees

Not going to get in for $200, but your feet will thank you.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#31]

He's hunting for deer, not cock.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Red Wing Irish Setters.  800 grams, Gore-Tex, feet NEVER good wet or cold.  
View Quote

These.

I have the 400gr pair of them since I double my socks up. They are fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#33]
, I can wear uninsulated hiking boots, with rubber overshoes and move snow for a couple hours and my feet stay warm, but doesn't take 15 minutes without the overshoes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for helping clarify the situation.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never used them.  They get fair reviews on most of the popular chain store sites.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Meindl boots FTMFW! Cabela's carries them, and they keep my feet warmer than my Sorel boots both on deer stands and when ice fishing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#37]
You need some wool socks and a wicking sock underneath, you also need boots sized large enough that the blood to your feet won't be restricted with two pairs of socks. Also watch how tight you lace and tighten your boots, too tight, not enough blood flow and you get cold feed. Too loose and you get blisters.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#38]
If you can find these you should be fine. I use them in winder hikes and for snowmobiling and my feet never get cold. This is in Aspen at 10K+ feet
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Danner has several pairs still made in the USA. Bought a pair last year for Christmas and they work very well in cold weather. Also my feet generally get cold easily, the Danner fixed that with ease.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Walking or sitting?

For sitting on watch you can't beat Mickey Mouse boots. I always have cold feet, I froze in my stand yesterday actually because I had my Muck boots on. The Mickey Mouse ones suck to walk in, but they are a joy to sit in.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sorrels are good but I've never been comfortable walking very far in them.

Lacrosse makes some good hybrid pack boots that fit and move well enough to make hiking comfy.

+1 on liner socks, good loose wool socks, boots sized to allow for socks and circulation.

Stand hunting requires that you have clothes to put on once seated. There is no way to wear what you're gonna wear sitting there, while walking in without either roasting (and sweating) on the way in, or freezing when sitting there.

Down over boots are another option. Put them on once in the stand.
View Quote

I've decided this last week that this is the last year I freeze my ass off deer hunting. I'm going to build a wooden blind, insulate it and build a small rocket stove to heat it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I picked up some Danner Pathfinder Gtx boots for hunting for $89 on clearance.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#43]
There is another product that I have been testing a bit too lately, and it seems to work as advertised.

Arctic Shield boot insulators. They go over your boots when you get to your spot and insulate from the outside. They actually have worked when I have used them with muck boots. The problem is they are bit bulky, so you need to have a big enough pack to fit them in. Pretty handy though if you have a long walk to your stand and don't want to wear heavy ass boots to get there.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The white ones are better insulated than the black ones. I've got both. Once I was wearing them late season duck hunting on a particularly cold winter day when the spray and waves had built up a 4 foot tall mound of ice all along the shore of lake Ontario when a couple decoys near shore broke loose. Instead of messing with the canoe I just went in and ended up chasing a decoy into waist deep water. After I got out we hunted about another hour, I was freezing but somehow the boots warmed up. It was strange having warm feet with water sloshing around in the boots while I was literally freezing my ass off. My pants really ended up iced over on the outer layer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you break through the ice at neg 35 bunny boots will save your life. They are the only boot made that can do this. They are the only boot I will wear in the winter snowmobiling.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Get some moon boots.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When you break through the ice at neg 35 bunny boots will save your life. They are the only boot made that can do this. They are the only boot I will wear in the winter snowmobiling.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's too bad you can't get them knee high.They would be perfect for my area if you could. Even with muck boots I often find myself tipping them while still hunting, lots of nasty little wet spots scattered around here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#47]
400g thinsulate = not enough for very cold weather.  Try more thinsulate.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I've had no complaints with my Rocky's.
These aren't the exact pair, but are pretty close.
Biggest mistake folks make is wearing them too tight.
You need some wiggle room to trap warm air and promote circulation.
Even just a little too snug will mean cold feet.

Rocky Men's Blizzard Stalker Pro Hunting Boot,Brown/Black
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I slip into Bunny Boots in November and slip out of them in March. My Wife wears the Northern Outfitters which is a great boot but doesn't like water. (The Nothern Outfitters boots are rather LARGE but very light).
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I think if you stand hunt there's just no way to keep the extremities warm.  Cabela's Stand Hunter line - bib and parka - are pricey but toasty.  I've got a pair of their super-high insulation boots, and even when my core is warm, my toes still get chilly.  Best solution is stuff a chem warmer up in the toe section for stand hunts.  You will get colder faster with lighter boots (there is something to insulation, and I have separate spring boots and winter boots for hunting), but once you get down below freezing cold extremities are inevitable for most of us.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top