Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 1:41:01 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm trying to plan a day to go out pheasant hunting. I'm new to hunting and just got my hunter's ed done last year. This will be my first hunting trip and I was wondering if you guys had any tips or advice for a first timer? I live in the Denver area and I'm considering driving out east to some of the walk in areas. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a good dog.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
This year was my first time going also.

It is A LOT more fun/easier if you have a (good) dog.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have a dog (or don't have a good dog), look for small areas that would channel birds to somewhere they'd want to take flight (open fields, etc.); and walk and stop.  If you pause every so often, it works to make birds nervous so they won't just hold while you walk past.

Get practiced at bringing your gun up fast to surprises... it's easy to think nothing's coming after a some long walks.  I shot over two birds this year because they came up when I wasn't expecting them and I didn't shoulder the gun properly because I had almost no time to shoot.

If you have a bad dog, leave it in the truck.  I went hunting with someone one time with an undisciplined dog and got to watch it flush birds 100 yards away that we could've walked up on and taken otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Be sure of what's behind your bird. They move pretty fast. Around here the management areas get real dangerous during pheasant season.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It's frustrating, pheasant is delicious and you need a Springer Spaniel

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Former resident of eastern Weld county, not a pheasant seen in the past 8 years as I've hunted the old spots I did as a kid back in the 60's and 70's.

I'm talking Gill, Galeton and Kersey.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]
They can be fast. Shoot their beaks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Get one of these two years ago.

I've got at least a year before he gets to go.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
if you don't have dog, mark a bird when you shoot it; that is , fix on it's location in relation to other land features, then walk to it. You're less likely to get off course.
If the bird doesn't fall like a sack of cement it's wounded and will run when it hits the ground. Ditch parrots don't like water, so they will parallel a creek.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Get good boots and brush chaps, hunting without a dog is about 30 miles of walking per bird and at least 4 thorns for your wife to pull out of you per bird.

That's my experience anyway. I used to love stomping brush though, but now I have a dog. He does it for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw a pheasant about 1/4 mile from my house in the road last week....this just reminded me I need to go talk to the guy that owns that piece to see if I can get in there and find it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#12]
If you flush one close... let it get out a bit before you shoot it, otherwise if you hit it solid, your will see a feather explosion and the bird will be loaded with shot...
Keep swinging the gun on the bird...
have fun, and bring a camelback...
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Needs more pics.

Last year in NE.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top