Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 12:02:28 PM EDT
 I feel so trendy.

Wal Mart had them for $199 and you get a $30 gift card back. So basically $170 for a 16gb iPad mini.  Other family who could not make it to wal mart during teh one hour window, asked us to pick some up for them too.

Now to bring up race
We went to two different Wal Marts and the difference was very interesting. The first was in Tysons Corner. On of the most opulent places in northern VA. Extremely "high class" expensive area. The wal mart recently opened and it is a little more fancy than typical. They had a massive amount of staff. and the staff was about 90% black. Customers seemed about 40% white, 40% black and random asian/indian for the rest. Actually a lot of people seemed more inner city type. There was a lot of inner city speak and behavior. Which I found odd given the area. But everyone was rather pleasant. We stood in line for the ipads, of which they only had 22, with some customers who were black and had pleasant conversation with them about last years black friday shopping. Only one lady customer also in line looked at me like she was mad at me for no reason, I can only assume because I am white and was having a nice conversation with someone who I guess she thought I should not....

We then went west about 25 minutes to Chantilly, VA wal Mart. Still Fairfax county. The store suddenly turned 90% indian staff. and the customers were about 30% white, 30% indian, 30% asian and %10 black.  This store had HUNDREDS of iPads. While standing in line I stood with a black gentleman and we joked about missing football and dealing with the craziness.

All in all I was surprised at the lack of racial tension. Maybe it is the area. Maybe people were just too focused on buying crap to care. I know I have been on alert with race lately. Expecting some sort of tension. But really, except for the one lady who looked mad at me in line for no reason, I've been pleasantly surprised.
Anyone go out last night and experience racial tension?

iPads!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
CSB
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CSB
View Quote

I though about preemptively CSBing myself.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
First post and all.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 2000 rounds of .22 ammo and stood in line in freezing 55 degree SFL weather.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
First world problems
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought 2000 rounds of .22 ammo and stood in line in freezing 55 degree weather.
View Quote

In other news. The range I work at part time. NRA HQ range, got a 300,000 round order of 22lr in that they ordered 18 months ago.

So we have .22 coming out our ass now. STill $6/50 though and limit 1000 per customer
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Racial tension is far more prevalent when immersed in online forums than out in the real world.

I've noticed white/black folks going out of their way to be nice to each other this week.

Media and basement dwellers...not sure which are more self involved.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Racial tension is far more prevalent when immersed in online forums than out in the real world.

I've noticed white/black folks going out of their way to be nice to each other this week.

View Quote

Come on up to NYC and venture north of 96th Street or east of Manhattan. And get back to us.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Come on up to NYC and venture north of 96th Street or east of Manhattan. And get back to us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sitting here singing kumbaya...I'm just saying that the confirmation bias in GD is approaching DU levels lately.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a granddaughter who attends FIU.  She plans to transfer due to the racial atmosphere.  They even have a Black Student Union.  I thought she was kidding so I googled it and sure enough...  They even have the black power fist as their symbol.

Power to the "correct" people!

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Please enlighten us about NYC.....
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My sister and I went to Mal*Wart last night at 8:30 coz she wanted a crimmus tree. I never saw so many cops or employees in a walmart at one time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Charging $60.00 for 500 rounds of .22 at an NRA range?
Asshat.

Quoted:

In other news. The range I work at part time. NRA HQ range, got a 300,000 round order of 22lr in that they ordered 18 months ago.

So we have .22 coming out our ass now. STill $6/50 though and limit 1000 per customer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought 2000 rounds of .22 ammo and stood in line in freezing 55 degree weather.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems like your (whitey) the minority there.
Dat suks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn expensive...

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You and I live in Texas though. Unfortunately I was in Chicago, New York, and Cincinnati this week and it seemed you could cut the racial tension with a knife
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Asshat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Asshat.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hardly think that he is setting the price for it.    
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pioneering hipsters are getting nervous.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
so what you doing with all those ipads?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

One for me. One for wife. One for Sister in law. One for Brother in law. One for brother in law's parents. So only two are for me. The other three I got for my in laws because they could not make it to the store during the 1 hour they had that price.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I went to the same Chantilly Wal-Mart (Dulles Expo Center). Similar experience...lots of people but no riots. Even the FFX cops looked bored .

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I went to the same Chantilly Wal-Mart (Dulles Expo Center). Similar experience...lots of people but no riots. Even the FFX cops looked bored .  
View Quote

Oh FFX cop asked what we were looking for and when we said the hunger games DVD he said they are sold out, he got the last one. I was waiting to be told to pick up a can. But he was just a nice guy and joking around. Pointed us to where they had put all the dvds on special.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

One for me. One for wife. One for Sister in law. One for Brother in law. One for brother in law's parents. So only two are for me. The other three I got for my in laws because they could not make it to the store during the 1 hour they had that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many did they let you buy at one time?

Could you have bought all of them and neck bearded them to the rest of the people waiting in line?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top