Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2014 10:24:41 PM EDT
So you're walking in the mall and see money just laying in the floor. If it's a buck, or even 5 dollars, it's just your lucky find, right?

But how much would it have to be before you feel sorry enough for the person who lost it to turn it in to mall management? $20? $100? $500? $1,000?

I'll admit I once found $300 in fifties just laying beside the curb in a downtown street. I saw no reason to turn it in to the police, since it would probably never be reported and would just end up in the police property room (or some cop's pocket). But if it had been $1,000, I might have been concerned enough to call the coppers.

What's your choke point?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
$2300.

Found a wallet with id-he was a local college student- we figured he was selling drugs or a bookie. The policeman I gave it to laughed at me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
$87
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Small amounts and wallets I always turn in because I'd hate to be the poor sap that lost my wallet.

A satchel or backpack with $100k+?  hard to say because it's never happened to me before.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
No choke point here.
If found money does not have ID with it or if a person popped up claiming it was theirs they better be able to prove it with finger prints on the bills or it is mine, all mine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Depending on where it is, I may not even pick it up.  Let it be someone else's problem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
If I can find the person who it belongs to. I'm not handing money over to the police.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
When it's this much.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
$87
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Call me childish but "finders keepers' losers weepers"
If you cant keep up with it it ain't important to you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]

$4.4 million dollars.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
What money?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]

If I know who it belongs to I'll give it to them.  Wallet with no ID in a store?  Give it to the manager.  I did that last Thanksgiving.

Backpack with $100k with no ID?  Holy shit I don't even know.

My ex 's mom once lost >$10k in business cash in a bank parking lot.  No one turned it in.  A lot of hardship would have been averted if someone had.

-p.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's just money, I won't.

If it's in a wallet/purse/etc, I'll try to contact whoever it belongs to.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What money?

View Quote

Wallets with ID's always give back... Loose bills on ground always go in the back pocket.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I would do what feels right.
Is there any chance it is some old ladies money to pay a doctor's bill?
Is it drug money?
are there cameras?
is there a reasonable chance it came from a decent person and I can find them to give it back?
will a cop just steal it anyway?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]
If there is ID with it,  Does not matter it is getting returned.    No ID,  I have found cash in a business,  Gave the manager my number and said if someone comes in asking about missing cash they need to be able to describe the pouch and the exact amount.  Nobody ever did call on it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I can find the person who it belongs to. I'm not handing money over to the police.
View Quote

I'm starting to think this. Doesn't seem they do much to find the owners.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
I'll usually hang around the area I found it to see if anyone comes around looking for something.

Last time I found a hundred dollar bill at the grocery store by the business center area, little old lady comes walking by about five minutes later eye balling the ground. I asked her if I could help her with something, and she said she just lost her grocery money after paying her utility bill in the store. I was more than happy to give it back.

When I found an ipad, I left a flier at the local PD and an ad on craigslist of where I found an item and if they told me what it was I'd gladly return it. Even contacted Apple to see if it was registered. No one ever called after 30 days and I'm still using it today.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo Bingo ^^^
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Turn it in to the po-leese!

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Only time I found money was $70.00.  I turned it over to the police with the store address where I found it.

It was not mine.  It wasn't mine to keep.  

For me?  It's a matter of integrity.  For the rest of you?  I guess you will have to figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At what point do you turn in found money?
View Quote

Ahhhhh, never.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
It would depend more on the circumstances than the amount. If it's in a wallet or something with ID, or in a place where the owner is still likely to be around then I'll turn it in. If I find a roll of cash on the sidewalk, well lucky me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#25]
$1 and up........if I lost money I'd want someone to try to give it back to me......
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Who would you turn it into that you'd trust to not just keep it?

No wallet, no purse, no ID, no idea of whose it could be and no way for anyone to prove it's theirs?  I'd probably keep it, I'm not sure what the alternative would be.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

bingo
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. If I can get the money (or any other lost item) back to it's owner, done. Trust someone else to do it? Not likely.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No choke point here.
If found money does not have ID with it or if a person popped up claiming it was theirs they better be able to prove it with finger prints on the bills or it is mine, all mine.
View Quote

Gotta go with this.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Gotta go with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No choke point here.

Gotta go with this.

No exceptions? Like you find 4 $100 bills just laying on the ground, so you snap them up. While you're hanging out (obviously, if you beat feet with 'your' 'loot', totally different conversation), you somebody show and start looking for something. You ask if they lost something, and they immediately say that they're missing 4 $100 bills that must have fallen out of their pocket/purse/wallet. Do you give it back, or say, 'Sorry, unless your fingerprints are on the bills, you're shit out of luck'?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I found a 5 dollar bill in the hallway at work, and send out a mass e-mail letting folks know I had it. They could come and pick it up if they lost it.

I got a bunch of e-mails saying I was crazy for trying to find the rightful owner
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#32]
If there is some way to ID the owner then amount doesn't matter. They get it back. If not then...
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm guessing you may be asking due to the recent news article about the guy that turned in 100K?

Not surprisingly, they found weed in the backpack too.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/11/27/backpack-with-100000-in-cash-left-behind-at-san-jose-burger-king-north-bascom-avenue-altaf-chaus-found-money-mystery/
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Only time I found money was $70.00.  I turned it over to the police with the store address where I found it.

View Quote

For me?  It's a matter of integrity.  For the rest of you?  I guess you will have to figure it out.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I've found small amounts of cash before and kept it, if I didn't see someone lose it and there's no way to figure out whose it is it's yours.  A wallet or something similar with ID is different, if I'm sure who it belongs to I have to return it.  If they're from somewhere farther out than say a half-hour away I'll mail it to them and use their money to pay for postage.  I'm honestly not sure what I'd do if I found a backpack/briefcase/whatever full of cash.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I found a 5 dollar bill in the hallway at work, and send out a mass e-mail letting folks know I had it. They could come and pick it up if they lost it.

I got a bunch of e-mails saying I was crazy for trying to find the rightful owner
View Quote
I guess fundamentally, that's not how cash works.

You ARE the "rightful owner" if you have it really.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I would not turn it in to police but say i found at restaurant i would let management/owner know what i found vaguely and my contact info.

When someone contacts me and can describe with some detail what i found (bank envelope from bank of america or black backpack etc...) i would give it to them.

I did find a wallet once and drove to guys house and gave it to him.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Method of acquisition or knowledge of ownership has no bearing? Just wondering if you saw some cash drop from somebody's pocket if you'd just keep it, or if the owner is out of sight, it's now a 'free-for-all'?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What!  I'm saying that the rest of you will have to make up your own mind what to do.  The only one I have to answer to, is myself.  You don't have to answer to me - just yourself.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#40]
If there's any ID at all, I'd give it back to the person it belonged to.
If it's lying around loose, like bills scattered on the ground?  It's mine.  
Amount doesn't figure into it.  $1 in someone's wallet with ID or in a bank deposit bag with an address is going back to its owner, because I would like people to do the same for me...and they have, and I've done it for them.
Loose money is not going to be found by the owner nor would there be any realistic way to get it back to them.  So it's mine.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#41]
If there's ID, then I return it.  

No ID, then it's mine.  

*I've never found more than $1 floating around*
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wallets with ID's always give back... Loose bills on ground always go in the back pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What money?

This.

If you find a hundred dollars on a store floor and turn it in to a clerk or a manager that money is going right in their pocket.  I know this from experience.

If I catch a store clerk undercharging me I tell them as they get burned if their drawer is off by a certain amount.

But I don't give money I pick up off the ground to anyone unless I see someone drop it or it is with ID.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#43]
that's a tough one...

Daughter (10 years old) lost her wallet with coinstar voucher ($27.??) that she just got in Walmart.  We were looking at Pokemon cards when we could not find it.

Told customer service, gave my cell.  No ID of any sort in wallet,  just the voucher.

A month later walmart calls me and has wallet and voucher in it.

No idea where it was found.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#44]
My brothers girlfriend lost her wallet that had $1200 in it.
Someone turned in her wallet at a lifeguard station but took the $1200.

A couple days later a guy shows up at her door with the $1200, tells he he'll give it back if she agrees to go out on a date with him.

About that time my brother came to the door.

The guy freaked, dropped the money and took off running.

My brother said they looked at each other for a minute and then broke out laughing.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I once found a a wallet the owner had a unique last name, I looked the name up in the phonebook, there was only one person with that last name.
I called and an older guy answered and said yeah it was his dumbass sons. He asked where I found it, I told him and agreed to meet him there.
He pulled up, got out shook my hand and took the wallet, he opened it and handed me the cash and said thanks and to keep the money as a lesson to dumbass son. I tried to argue with the guy and he literally ignored me and got in his car and left. It wasn't much money but it was funny.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I once found a person's briefcase.  I called him up and he gave me an address where I could give it back to him.  He gave me $25 in 1982 dollars as a reward.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#47]
I spent the better part of eight hours trying to turn in $20 to a bank because their ATM spit me out an extra $20.

I guess it depends.  If I saw a $20 blowing in the wind I would keep it.  If I found that $20 in a wallet I'd turn it in.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm guessing you may be asking due to the recent news article about the guy that turned in 100K?

Not surprisingly, they found weed in the backpack too.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/11/27/backpack-with-100000-in-cash-left-behind-at-san-jose-burger-king-north-bascom-avenue-altaf-chaus-found-money-mystery/
View Quote

I would wait until someone came by looking for their back pack and give it back.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Me and a couple of other guys found about 300 bucks in the parking lot of a methed out welfare apartment complex, at 1 in the morning.  We kept it.

Wallets or money found inside a store will get turned in.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#50]
No wallet no care.  And if its a wallet I'll find the owner on my own.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top